Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Skater video (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/77502-skater-video.html)

CigDaze 04-26-2004 07:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't know, looks like a precarious situation.

KH0302 04-26-2004 08:00 AM

Mike is an awesome pilot. He's had this boat for several years and knows it inside out. He is on the edge, and knows it. That's how he drives it, right at the edge of the envelope. He knows exactly how high he needs the bow to get enough air under it for speed. It's a blast to watch. Last weekend when I had my bud and his fat gf with me I junped on the Skater. Wild watching that boat come by me WFO at 100+ :D:D:D

BLee 04-26-2004 08:41 AM

You sound like old ladies!
He hits one wake and you guys are acting like he's in 10 footers. The boats are built to take that at speed. It's not going to blow over. Nothing wrong with having a little fun! Cool video!

SS930 04-26-2004 09:09 AM

I've got to agree... it would have taken a lot more to get that cat over.

I dont use as much trim as he does, but then again that water is like glass.

Shane 04-26-2004 09:09 AM

Originally posted by Baja Daze
I don't know, looks like a precarious situation.
I am unable to download the video here at work, I will do it when I get home. However, based on the pic you posted this is NOT a precarious position to be in at all. A bit unnerving for the un acquainted certainly, but the pic you show is a bit bow high yes, but FAR from going over. When a 28 Skater is trimmed correctly it can run in rough water all day long and fly flat as a pancake. The boat looks gorgeous.

I have seen BIG vee bottoms, Sutphens in specific get MUCH more VERTICAL than that and not go over. Not that it is the proper way to run a boat, but vertical nonetheless.

Spectre Man 04-26-2004 09:18 AM

You people obviously did not read my previous post on this subject. The 28' Skater with those heavy 300s is geometrically out of balance and is capable of flipping at 70mph when you hit a boat wake from behind. The nose starts going up and keeps going. The next thing you know, you are over.... and it happens in a split second. The 28' is more stable with the lighter 2.5s with bass mid-sections and even more stable with 15" midsections. With the 300s with 20" midsections and running in the upper teens in calm sticky water, the boat hunts for air and gets very squeemish. Anybody that's says different has obviously not driven a 28' at speed in calm water. Running a 28' in 2-3 chop is no problem. It loves that kind of water and can do that all day long. Coming up from behind a boat and then jumping its wake is totally another story! I know, I flipped my 28' and I am an expert Skater pilot.

Tantrum 04-26-2004 09:26 AM

For you guy's in the "know", maybe this boat "is" far from going over but....
The conditions that he is running in are better (flatter) than I would ever see during daylight hours. The wake that he hits cant be more than 8 inches high, so to my inexperienced cat eye it looks a little excessive.

When these boats (28 Skaters) run offshore on the APBA circuit, what speeds were they running?

Even to me the boat is very aggressively trimmed but I just cant imagine my AT ever getting that bow high off a wake 4x the size.....of coarse I also cant imagine my little AT running a buck 10 :crazy:

Cool video :cool:

KH0302 04-26-2004 09:29 AM

Also y'all note he's showing off for the camera, yeah he's way overtrimmed to make that big ass roostertail. I asked him yesterday if they were 15" or 20", he said 15.

Mr. Demeanor 04-26-2004 09:29 AM

I know nothing and can prove it:p Just looked scarier frame by frame. Really cant tell how fast he is going from a video of the boat passing either.

KH0302 04-26-2004 09:31 AM

This boat is a lot more stable than his old Talon with a nitrous blower BBC. He sold it because it got weird at speed. I used to have pics of the Talon I'll look for em.