Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Skater video (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/77502-skater-video.html)

Tantrum 04-26-2004 09:38 AM

Spectra Man
What is the weight difference between the 300's and 2.5's?

What kind of speeds can you safely run is 2-3 foot chop?

I ask because I have been considering going over to the other side :hammy: . I would be running in Barnaget Bay which can get snotty on the weekends with 1-2 foot washing machine chop from boat wakes.
I also run the Hudson River which can have very calm water with enormous tug and yatch wakes that can come out of no where and create huge holes behind the initial swell. This is the type of water condition that has me a little leery of a cat and where I boat.
Your experience would be helpful to me in making a decision.

Tantrum 04-26-2004 09:40 AM

Another question to all
What do you think the best set-up for a 28 would be?

KH0302 04-26-2004 09:42 AM

Originally posted by Mr. Demeanor
I know nothing and can prove it:p Just looked scarier frame by frame. Really cant tell how fast he is going from a video of the boat passing either.
Oh yeah, you're such an old scaredy cat. Didn't you used to have a motorcycle? A Suzuki Hayaboogie or something like that? :D:D:D

BLee 04-26-2004 09:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally posted by Tantrum
Another question to all

The 28's with the 2.5's are really nice. My friend had one that ran 105-108 (Props) all the time. I love the 28 Skaters.

Here's my favorite one. Anyone know who owns it?

Shane 04-26-2004 09:59 AM

Originally posted by Spectre Man
You people obviously did not read my previous post on this subject. The 28' Skater with those heavy 300s is geometrically out of balance and is capable of flipping at 70mph when you hit a boat wake from behind. The nose starts going up and keeps going. The next thing you know, you are over.... and it happens in a split second. The 28' is more stable with the lighter 2.5s with bass mid-sections and even more stable with 15" midsections. With the 300s with 20" midsections and running in the upper teens in calm sticky water, the boat hunts for air and gets very squeemish. Anybody that's says different has obviously not driven a 28' at speed in calm water. Running a 28' in 2-3 chop is no problem. It loves that kind of water and can do that all day long. Coming up from behind a boat and then jumping its wake is totally another story! I know, I flipped my 28' and I am an expert Skater pilot.
Spectre Man,

You are ABSOLUTELY right about the flat water vs. the 1-2 chop as well as it "hunting" for the bumps AND the added weight of the 300's vs the 2.5's etc. However, do you know this specific boat? I do not. I am not certain if this boat has had the CG adjusted to compensate for the additional weight. Many cats have had rigging components moved forward in the boat to adjust its attitude. Some have even been known to add sand bags to the bow when running in super rough ocean conditions or when rigging with the heavier 300's. Keep in mind Skater does make ballast tanks for the 28 to compensate for the added weight and conditions, as well as sponson and tunnel tabs. Although you are correct from a macro or theoretical perspective, keep in mind that unless you are certain as to the specific set up of THAT particular boat, all you are doing is generalizing.

Shane 04-26-2004 10:02 AM

Originally posted by PokerRunGunT/S
The 28's with the 2.5's are really nice. My friend had one that ran 105-108 (Props) all the time. I love the 28 Skaters.

Here's my favorite one. Anyone know who owns it?

Yup,

A guy on Long Island named Eric. That is the old Mobil One boat, world record holder, then was bought and set up and run by as Secret Agent which won several nation and world titles.

Shane 04-26-2004 10:07 AM

For you guy's in the "know", maybe this boat "is" far from going over but....
The conditions that he is running in are better (flatter) than I would ever see during daylight hours. The wake that he hits cant be more than 8 inches high, so to my inexperienced cat eye it looks a little excessive.

When these boats (28 Skaters) run offshore on the APBA circuit, what speeds were they running?

Even to me the boat is very aggressively trimmed but I just cant imagine my AT ever getting that bow high off a wake 4x the size.....of coarse I also cant imagine my little AT running a buck 10 :crazy:

Cool video :cool:

Tantrum,

Skaters like the chop/rougher water better than the mill pond stuff. A 28 would be purrrrfect for where you run:hammy: :D . He is trimmed WAY to high in the picture and my 24 would not get like that. He is showing off for the camera. Also, keep in mind that the 28's, like the 24's, like NEUTRAL trim at max for optimum handling and speed. Positive trim creates the bow high situation you see here. Additionally, in ocean racing the 28's can run over 100, as with any boat it depends on HOW rough the water gets, is it washing machine type water, swells, wind chop etc.. Again, when a 28 is set up AND operated correctly, the above typically does NOT happen!

Shane 04-26-2004 10:14 AM

Another question to all

For your application, 300 Pro Max's, 15 inch mid sections, sponson tabs, NOT tunnel tab, and IF needed POSSIBLY a little BOW weight which can be done by moving the batteries forward in front of the drivers bullhead and or sand bags.

Boatlesss 04-26-2004 11:30 AM

Spectre Man, you set a 28' Skater up incorrectly and had an accident. While this is unfortunate, it is more a reflection of you than the boat.

You have such a negative outlook here and the issue of a 28' Skater jumping a wake and blowing over is more than a bit far fetched.

As "Shane" stated the boat could be balanced well and this boat might not have the same problems you uncounted. The cockpits of the later 28’s are different because of the 300’s and the weight balance issue.

While it is hard for you to accept, there are well balanced 28’ Skaters with 300’s on them that do not blow over at 70 mph.

Also, it’s a bit weird that the boat can handle rough water fine but not a small wake…

Best setup for a 28’ Skater is the 300x’s short shafts and the boat properly balanced with a driver that knows how to drive a catamaran boat.

Shane 04-26-2004 11:35 AM

Originally posted by Boatlesss
Spectre Man, you set a 28' Skater up incorrectly and had an accident. While this is unfortunate, it is more a reflection of you than the boat.

You have such a negative outlook here and the issue of a 28' Skater jumping a wake and blowing over is more than a bit far fetched.

As "Shane" stated the boat could be balanced well and this boat might not have the same problems you uncounted. The cockpits of the later 28’s are different because of the 300’s and the weight balance issue.

While it is hard for you to accept, there are well balanced 28’ Skaters with 300’s on them that do not blow over at 70 mph.

Also, it’s a bit weird that the boat can handle rough water fine but not a small wake…

Best setup for a 28’ Skater is the 300x’s short shafts and the boat properly balanced with a driver that knows how to drive a catamaran boat.

Well said. Also, note how he continues to hold himself out to be an "expert". Most "experts" I know do not call themselves such.