Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   reSEARCHED ho'S (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/77541-researched-hos.html)

mcollinstn 04-25-2004 08:19 PM

LPA

The OL record boat was not a race boat, but it was "close". It was a lightweight epoxy pleasureboat with no forward cabin.

h2owarrior 04-25-2004 08:29 PM

I would be more inclined to believe the 500HP story while GM still produces the engine for its consumption. Since GM is not using the engines anymore, who is producing the engines ? And why would the 500 and the 525 be any different since they are the same engine sans a few head, cam and exhaust changes ?

I do not know what is actually happening at Merc and am pissed that no one from the Merc is here to answer this.

It does however make sense that a big exec. from Merc would try and tell someone that the 525 was a much better engine.......since it is not much more than a 500HP and carries a much higher price. Not that gouging boaters would be something that Mercury would be involved in:rolleyes:

Gordo 04-26-2004 10:30 AM

I've talked with people who actually did the work at Mercury Racing. While we did not discuss the 525, they did tell me that the HP500 is virtually the same short block as the 502efiMag. When the engine shows up at Mercury Racing, they remove the oil pan, weld the oil pump sump pickup, and replace the oil pan.
So much for "custom hand built race engines".
This didn't come from any Execs, advertising, or friend of a friend, but from some that were actually there.
As for the 496, I can't speak for all of them out there, but I personally have ran the SNOT out of a number of GM Vortec 496 HP-3's, and have worked closely with quite a few others that I haven't driven or throttled, and an not aware of a crank breaking.

LPA2106 04-26-2004 02:18 PM

that's my point..you can't seem to get any useful comparative info at MM anymore...and seems like smoke and mirrors and some blue paint maybe and then $$$$$$$$

I want to know how the 496 Ho compares to the 502 mag in service life and utility since it seems that is waht it replaced basically right? or am I missing the boat?

dockrocker 04-26-2004 03:56 PM

Originally posted by LPA2106
that's my point..you can't seem to get any useful comparative info at MM anymore...and seems like smoke and mirrors and some blue paint maybe and then $$$$$$$$

I want to know how the 496 Ho compares to the 502 mag in service life and utility since it seems that is waht it replaced basically right? or am I missing the boat?

Well, since the 502 has been around for 15 or 20 years, I figure you've got another 10+ to be able to compare the relatively new 496..... besides, last I heard you've decided that the Cig Tiger is the greatest boat in the world (and makes the best bubbles under the hull, according to the marine architects at Powerboat magazine). I'm pretty sure I can count the number of Tigers running around with 496's of any variety on just one hand, and I'm guessing I'd have 5 fingers left over.... :rolleyes:

LPA2106 04-26-2004 06:42 PM

...you guys know I am not saying or doing all this because I am buying a boat..it's an educational process..and if and when I have the right amount of money/credit I will be real well informed..

LPA2106 04-26-2004 06:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Troutly..thanks for the info that the 496's both have Hypereutectic pistons
check out this site...says it all I think...no need to re-cap

http://www.flatlanderracing.com/kb_hyper.html

..makes ya think twice though eh?

aren't 496's strokers/ This company has made pistons for 40 yrs..and says not to use em in strokers...blown engines etc...cast..not forged....check out the link..

other stuff I read is in concurrence with this..

LPA2106 04-26-2004 06:51 PM

check this out Troutly

http://www.taperformance.com/hyperteu.htm

says their experience with the 496's pistons is that they are hard and brittle..read this..

you may think I am a nut...but read this...and tell me to believe what I see in ads or hear around the marinas...you gotta do your homework baby....now I know why Lip Ship uses Zuls...I looked at how they build and what they use..top drawer and decent prices too...

ALL ZUL ENGINES FEATURE...
– Dart Engine Blocks – 4340 forged steel crankshaft
– Oliver Billet connecting rods – 200 wall wrist pins
– J&E Forged silicone aluminum pistons – Keith Eickert aluminum oil pans
– Stref's Race Oil Pans – High volume oil pump – Internally balanced
– Complete wire harness – Die cast aluminum valve covers
– Complete sea water cooling system – High torque starter
– Billet remote oil filter mount – 90 amp alternator
– Heavy duty oil coolers – Electronic ignition system
– 8mm spark plug wires – Rollerized rocker arms

a pair of 650's or 700's in a 38' Gun is all I need...

TYPE II
– 700 hp+ @ 5800 rpm
– 572 cubic inch displacement
– Dart Pro 1 Ported Heads
– Dart Single Plain Manifold
– 9.5 to 1 compression ratio
– 91+ octane fuel requirement
– Roller Lifter Camshaft
– 1050 4-barrel carb

...what a pipedream to think I could be happy with less...I am out of here..

LPA2106 04-26-2004 07:03 PM

check this out Troutly..they talk about groove pound out in these pistons...regualr cast pistons may be more reliable than these alloys...and forged is the answer..period..

http://www.jjsales.com/option2.htm

LPA2106 04-26-2004 07:06 PM

my findings...496 and a HO is a HO...no matter how you slice it

nice power for moderate applications....if you drop a couple in a 28' boat and take it moderately easy and not a lot of top end time...a bargain...run the mcpissers out of em and don't be surprised when they....in a 35' maybe? 42' maybe...everybody i talked to who knows anything at work about hi-perf applications felt that marine use is severe at times and forged crank, pistons and rods are a good investment..pay now or pay later ...

and forged pistons are about $500 each the 496 pistons are about $ 300 ea....

why bother? because as soon as you say forged and 525efi.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ why?

the part don't justify it...make a good production engine using good parts..possible?