Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Receiving "cards" from a dock at a poker run. >

Receiving "cards" from a dock at a poker run.

Notices

Receiving "cards" from a dock at a poker run.

Old 04-24-2004, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Receiving "cards" from a dock at a poker run.

Please consider this merely a suggestion. I handed out cards today from a dock for the OPBA poker run. Second time at this particular spot. Nice long dock, plenty of room. It is important to note I duct tape a fish net on the end of an "extension" pole that extends out 15 ft. and the envelopes with the cards in them obviously are in the fish net. It amazes me that so many boats feel the need to come right in next to the dock like they were stopping. All you really have to do is idle by 5 ft. off and you're fine, yet so many have this compelling need to come right in. Out of say 35 boats, 15 boats just aced it, 10 boats struggled with it, and ten boats had problems like hitting the dock. Three or four made me want to head for the hills. And there is really no need to try to come straight in and then back out, especially if you are fighting both wind and current. Although I will admit the guy who did that today did a great job. Handing out cards is not a "timed event". There are no points for out fast you can get through the stop. Just idle through, stay five ft. off so when you turn away you don't have to worry about the corner of your stern kissing anything unwanted, and just idle away. Maintain steerage, stay five ft. off the dock, that's all you have to do then no one will feel any anxiety. I could tell a couple of guys were a little nervous with people watching them. My Dad always said, never approach a dock harder than you want to hit it. Again, this is not meant as any criticism, only a suggestion.

Oh yeah, Cuda: Even with those Kaamas the judges gave you 9.2 / 9.4 / 9.0 / 9.1 and I gave you a solid 10 mostly for Deb's tatoo.
Old 04-24-2004, 09:06 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Please consider this also a suggestion. Ditch the net for a clothespin. The cards/envelopes can get tangled in the net. You're right - it's not a timed event (but testosterone levels ARE running high at that point...)
Old 04-24-2004, 09:10 PM
Registered

I went through a stop that someone did that trick with the clothespin, the girl on the boat in front of me fumbled it and all the cards went into the drink. Probably didn't help that there were too many cards on the clothes pin. My fish net is small with extremely fine netting, no one ever has any trouble with it, though I have absolutely no idea how good it would be for hauling a fish in.
Old 04-24-2004, 09:17 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually better than a clothes pin are the small spring clamps from Home Depot. Much firmer hold and easier to insert the cards.
Old 04-24-2004, 11:26 PM
Registered

good advise. I wouldn't think so many didn't ace it.
Old 04-24-2004, 11:44 PM
Mr. Demeanor

I have a very long telescoping river fishing pole that would be perfect for card delivery.

Old 04-24-2004, 11:56 PM
Registered

That or bamboo pole...I don't like the fishnet too much
Old 04-24-2004, 11:57 PM
Mr. Demeanor

fishnet has its place

Old 04-25-2004, 12:13 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Mr. Demeanor
fishnet has its place
Yeah what he said.

Last year they used clothes pins and we did right everytime
Old 04-25-2004, 12:16 AM
Registered

Was babe..which one was your guys boat at Hav

Quick Reply: Receiving "cards" from a dock at a poker run.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.