Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Gladiator flipped in Biscayne Bay... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/77729-gladiator-flipped-biscayne-bay.html)

Sydwayz 04-28-2004 11:44 AM

I was not an expert, but I drove a step-bottom boat this weekend, and did not roll it. Can I now be an expert?

Mr. Demeanor 04-28-2004 11:46 AM

Originally posted by LPA2106
There are ongoing pros and cons regarding this hull design. Therefore, the debate will continue: Are stepped hulls inherently more dangerous than non-stepped hulls?

Why do you ask?

BLee 04-28-2004 11:46 AM

Originally posted by T2x
Yes .........unless you own or build them.

T2x

Same arguement can be made about handguns.

Mr. Demeanor 04-28-2004 11:47 AM

LPA, did you by chance stay at a Motel 6 last night?

Jonas 04-28-2004 11:49 AM

did they leave the light on ? :D

Smarty 04-28-2004 11:50 AM

I do not post many messages but am concerned about the recent reported incidents, so I have some questions for the learned or more experienced boaters with political ties.
1. What is the scuttle-butt on passing legislation regarding maximum boat speeds, not slow wake zones but SPEED LIMITS?
2. Is the gage by which the pleasure boating safety record measured fatalities? Crashes? Combination of both?
3. I have concerns that these crashes will bolster some ignorant politician's thinking that a law needs to be passed which would screw us all. The offshore boating world is small minority of people, minority meaning people who have the discretionary income for their toys(boats) which few can afford.
4. I do not know the status of what legislation is pending or being drafted, but rumors are always rampant that a speed limit will be instituted, what is the truth?

LPA2106 04-28-2004 11:53 AM

Camouflage condoms: So they won't see you coming.

....maybe changing the subject...???

:D :D :D :D

LPA2106 04-28-2004 11:54 AM

There are ongoing pros and cons regarding this hull design. Therefore, the debate will continue: Are stepped hulls inherently more dangerous than non-stepped hulls?

it is a debate...nobody is right or wrong ....

Sydwayz 04-28-2004 11:57 AM

I hope no one bites it on the Potomac River anytime soon (knocking on wood). Surrounded by Washington DC, Virginia, and Maryland; phucking polititians, they will divert the river 200 miles and screw us all.

Von Bongo 04-28-2004 11:58 AM

Originally posted by Mr. Demeanor
LPA, did you by chance stay at a Motel 6 last night?
It's actually Holiday Inn....;)

I'm staying out with the exception of the analogy to a car being taken off the road. Boating is more akin to flying than driving in my opinion and all planes are capable of spinning under the right conditions so you are trained to avoid those conditions. The same should hold true of all boats.

Even with hours of training, some pilots manage to spin into the ground each year and it makes the news too. :rolleyes:

LPA, what is your opinion of the V-tail Bonanza and it's inherant problems? Not to be rude but I feel that you probably have as much experience in that as you do in a gladiator.

What I would rather hear is what happend from the driver of this boat and see the video so I can maybe learn something.

Also it isn't just performance boats with steps, I drive by hundreds of boats each day to and from work and more have steps than don't.

Didn't do a very good job of staying out :(