Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Gladiator flipped in Biscayne Bay... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/77729-gladiator-flipped-biscayne-bay.html)

enticer 04-27-2004 10:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
how old is this?

rainmn 04-27-2004 10:26 PM

The boat or the picture? I believe the picture was from about two weeks ago. The boat, if I recall, had about 2 hours on it. :eek:

jtmiller02 04-27-2004 10:26 PM

42 fountain, lake hartwell in SC, brand new <5hrs, probably a Clemson Grad because he wasn't wearing his lanyards and the accident was possibly caused by big air bubbles under the steps, or a manatee in an apache, or who the hell knows... it happened a few weeks ago

rouxsterre 04-27-2004 10:27 PM

We don't seem to get much feedback from these accidents. I'm guessing that this can be attributed to a 'lack of survivors' in most cases.
Biscayne bay CAN get rough. Real rough sometimes. I don't buy the 'lakes and bays' argument in THIS case. And most of these don't appear to happening in lakes. They seem to be happening offshore. Are these people intentionally turning their boats at high speeds? I personally can't see the need for that, unless there is an immediate hazard. Chinewalks rarely result in a capsize. . . however, you just never know - and it is counterproductive to speculate. It sure would be nice to have more eyewitness information. . .

Just $.01 . . . thinkin out loud.

cuda 04-27-2004 10:38 PM

Originally posted by LPA2106
..it's perception...and these boats are perceived by insurance companies as too costly to cover in a lot of cases...
I have to disagree with this. Insurance companies aren't driven by perception. The have actuarians (number crunchers) who know exactly what the price is or could be. I doubt any other business is run more by number crunchers.

Steve_H 04-27-2004 10:48 PM

Originally posted by cuda
I have to disagree with this. Insurance companies aren't driven by perception. The have actuarians (number crunchers) who know exactly what the price is or could be. I doubt any other business is run more by number crunchers.
and the numbers are climbing fast :(

the problem with the automotive vs. performance boat argument is the proportion of cars to performance boats. we have a relatively small pool of boaters that need our type of insurance.
everyone has a car.

jtmiller02 04-27-2004 10:54 PM

its only a # to them though, the only thing they see is is premiums/settlements, and risk..there are thousands of car accidents every day hundreds of people get hurt or die, and millions of premiums collected hundreds of houses burn down and boats flip or run into stuff..they calculate what it all cost, add in PLENTY of profit (its like oil, they make lots of silly claims but the profits tell the true story) and you get a bill every month for your % of their risk to make a payout

wwwTOPDJcom 04-27-2004 10:56 PM

Originally posted by GLH
Too Old and 105 are right I mean one person gets killed in cars every fifteen minutes in the US.

The accident of those specific boats are very public on this forum due to the nature of the forum itself. I bet however that there are just as many accident has there has been in the past.

As for LPA2106 don't waste your time with his ineptitudes he has never once fest up to who he is or where he's from while going on diatribes that would make the "liar" dude from Saturday night live look like Mother Theresa plucking orphans from Love Canal while finding a cure for cancer. So take him as the minor annoyance that he is and give him the credence he deserves... none.

LMAO @ GLH 's comment on LPA2106 :D :D

Jonas 04-27-2004 10:57 PM

Originally posted by LPA2106
..come on this is reality..a good solution is going to a pad and single step...multiple steps are far more apt to spinout...offer this to the public and then offer multiple steps to those who want more speed and can handle the insurance issues...
that s what fountain does
executioner and the lightning,,
i can tell u going from my old 92 non step 35 to the new 02 with the big vents is HUGE difference...
it feel like the stern is on ball bearings,
i just got the boat
probably dont have more than 1-1.5 hrs in it yet... so i am just out getting the feel for it..
there is no way in hell i would go out and just stand on it so see the big # without knowing the boat and having right conditions,,
now there are times when the other boating folks jet skis cuisers etc can have caused these accidents too.. here on the delta in calif we have a serious issue with bonehead boaters,, wakeboarders and jetskiers seem to think they own the waterways.. they scare me as seems they have no common sense or boating sense..
ok off my soap box.

Steve_H 04-27-2004 11:04 PM

Originally posted by Jonas
here on the delta in calif we have a serious issue with bonehead boaters,, wakeboarders and jetskiers seem to think they own the waterways.. they scare me as seems they have no common sense or boating sense..

noticed that when i was out there :eek:
narrow channels and blind corners too.
bet theres been a few boats end up out of the water out there.