Notices

Unbelieveable!!

Old 04-29-2004, 04:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Unbelieveable!!

ESPN.com news services
AMHERST, Mass. -- A University of Massachusetts student has openly criticized Pat Tillman, calling the former NFL player a Rambo-like idiot in the school paper.

The column in question was submitted by graduate student Rene Gonzalez and published Wednesday in the Daily Collegian. It was titled "Pat Tillman is not a hero: he got what was coming to him."

Gonzalez writes that Tillman was a "Rambo" who probably acted out of "nationalist patriotic fantasies." In his own neighborhood in Puerto Rico, according to Gonzalez, Tillman would not have been considered a hero, but a "pendejo," or idiot.

The column drew harsh criticism from many on campus. University president Jack Wilson says the op-ed piece was "disgusting, arrogant and intellectually immature."

Tillman, who gave up his NFL career to join the Army Rangers in 2002, was killed in combat one week ago in Afghanistan. The military announced on Wednesday that he has been posthumously promoted to the rank of corporal and awarded the Purple Heart and Meritorious Service Medal.

"You know he was a real Rambo, who wanted to be in the 'real' thick of things," Gonzalez writes in his column, which is posted on the collegiate paper's Web site. "I could tell he was that type of macho guy, from his scowling, beefy face on the CNN pictures. Well, he got his wish. Even Rambo got shot in the third movie, but in real life, you die as a result of being shot. They should call Pat Tillman's army life 'Rambo 4: Rambo Attempts to Strike Back at His Former Rambo 3 Taliban Friends, and Gets Killed.'"

Gonzalez also says that Tillman's service was not "necessary."

"It wasn't like he was defending the East coast from an invasion of a foreign power. THAT would have been heroic and laudable," Gonzalez writes. "What he did was make himself useful to a foreign invading army, and he paid for it. It's hard to say I have any sympathy for his death because I don't feel like his 'service' was necessary. He wasn't defending me, nor was he defending the Afghani people. He was acting out his macho, patriotic crap and I guess someone with a bigger gun did him in."

In a letter to its readers Thursday, the Daily Collegian says Gonzalez' opinion in no way reflects that of the newspaper's editorial board. A column by one of the editors praising Tillman's sacrifice ran in the paper next to the one by Gonzalez.

"We do not hold back from printing news stories, columns or editorials that may upset our readership -- instead, we seek to both inform and stir debate through our publication," the letter, also posted on the Web site, reads. "Our decision to publish Gonzalez's column -- an opinion piece written by a member of our campus community -- is the only way for us to live up to this ideal."

Tillman will be eulogized at a public memorial service in his hometown of San Jose, Calif., early next week, and funeral arrangements are pending.

The body of Tillman arrived at Dover Air Force Base in Delaware on Monday. His brother, Spc. Kevin Tillman, also a Ranger with the 2nd Battalion of the 75th Ranger Regiment, was expected to accompany the body to the funeral home, Lawrence said.

Tillman was killed in a firefight on a road near Sperah, about 25 miles southwest of a U.S. base at Khost.

After coming under fire, Tillman's patrol got out of their vehicles and gave chase, moving toward the spot of the ambush. Beevers said the fighting was "sustained" and lasted 15-20 minutes.

The Cardinals said they will retire Tillman's No. 40 and name the plaza surrounding the new stadium under construction in suburban Glendale the "Pat Tillman Freedom Plaza."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
Old 04-29-2004, 04:38 PM
jtmiller02

pussies fight with pens and keyboards

Old 04-29-2004, 04:41 PM
Registered

they should send that little weiny to puerto rico,, or string him up by his whip aarse no gonad weiny
Old 04-29-2004, 04:45 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's been big news up here the last couple of days! Honestly, it left me speechless... Freedom of speech or not, that is the biggest load of bull$hit I have ever read and I think nothing short of a public stoning would suffice in that morons case!!
Old 04-29-2004, 04:47 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

15 minutes of fame.... 20 too many.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:07 PM
mirageman

THAT ****ING PISSES ME OFF!

I WATCHED ON THE NEWS THE ARMY RANGERS AND A CHAPLAIN GO TO THE FRONT DOOR TO HIS HOUSE TO TELL HIS WIFE THAT HE WAS KILLED IN ACTION. IT BROUGHT TEARS TO MY EYES.

This guy gave up something more important than money, more important than love. He gave his life for this country.

When I hear the word Honor, I will always think of him.
Attached Thumbnails Unbelieveable!!-flagwallpaper_1024x768.jpg  

Old 04-29-2004, 05:10 PM
mirageman

Tillman
Attached Thumbnails Unbelieveable!!-p1_tillman_ap.jpg  

Old 04-29-2004, 05:14 PM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That student better watch his steps
Old 04-29-2004, 05:15 PM
Registered

i can tell u he is way more man than i ever will be !!!
that guy had it going on and gave it up to serve his country,,, he is a true red white and blue hero!!

the fool that wrote that should and will i hope be a black and blue whimp
Old 04-29-2004, 05:21 PM
mirageman

I hear you Jonas. I am a worthless piece of crap compared to that Hero.
I know that for a fact because I would have taken the 3 million over going to war.

Quick Reply: Unbelieveable!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.