Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Something is missing this morning.... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/77968-something-missing-morning.html)

Downtown42 05-02-2004 03:01 PM

Right. Sorry if you're not the real LPA/Paul and not if you are. :)

Downtown42 05-02-2004 03:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
cheers

Sandisk 05-02-2004 03:02 PM

Will the real LPA please STEP up:D

Reed Jensen 05-02-2004 03:05 PM

Originally posted by Sandisk
Well geez ; I am new and had a brief welcome and then the hunting party is out looking for their former knob. Shooting at anything that moves.
Don't worry Sandisk.... I was accused of being "Winston"............ roflmao...........:D

mcollinstn 05-02-2004 03:05 PM

Somebody was talking about a displacement hull being dangerous at high speeds. This is ludicrous. A displacement hull is physically only capable of traveling at a certain speed before the power required to push it any faster graphs out on an almost vertical line up to infinity. So in essence, a displacement hull CANNOT travel at high speeds by nature of its design.

Each displacement hull has a "hull speed" and it takes a certain amount of power to propel it at that speed (longer hull = higher hull speed). To travel higher than that hull speed runs into an exponential power requirement that is very very steep.

Properly ballasted displacement hulls are pretty darn safe, so the analogy used comparing the safety factors of displacement hulls is a misapplied one.

A planing hull is a step hull? No, this is also incorrect. A step is an engineered break in the running surface designed to break the surface tension of water. It isn't a step if the "break" is the end of the running surface.

Similarly, a chine or strake is a lifting surface or spray rail, and there is no engineered longitudinal break there, so no step.

I fully realize the analogies and comments are light spirited, there is always the opportunity for another "enlightened" individual to take the comments seriously and start another set of hair pulling threads.

Kind of like the comment that steps are like a transmission or something. That's scary for sure.

Reed Jensen 05-02-2004 03:08 PM

Like I said... I love some of the anologies in this thread.......... :D

Sandisk 05-02-2004 03:08 PM

Anybody worried about me call Al Wagner at JBM and ask him about my boats. Sandisk is known around town. My family had boats since I was born grew up on cruisers. Had a couple sea rays. Partnered in a 24' Pantera years ago. Not all that technical. Know my lawn mowers:D .
What can I say.

I think you guys handled the knob poorly. I never hold an opion when I have one that matters.

mcollinstn 05-02-2004 03:10 PM

I don't like the tone of my post. Didn't mean for it to be accusatory or pompous sounding..

Not editing it, but am adding the apology to Sandisk.

Sorry San, if it sounds like I am hacking on you. I'm just trying hard to keep the technical discussions from running amok like LPA had them going..

Downtown42 05-02-2004 03:12 PM

Lawn Mowers?? you and Mccollin drinkin this afternoon?? go to off/topic section...Mccollin can hit his deck with a mallet!!! :D mine might have a dent if I did that.

Welcome Sand Grinder

Reed Jensen 05-02-2004 03:15 PM

Originally posted by mcollinstn
I don't like the tone of my post. Didn't mean for it to be accusatory or pompous sounding..

Not editing it, but am adding the apology to Sandisk.

Sorry San, if it sounds like I am hacking on you. I'm just trying hard to keep the technical discussions from running amok like LPA had them going..

You Sir.... have slandered too many mower manufacturers... I'm considering a class action suit to make you wear your ass as a hat. That way people will stop making remarks about Reggies hair, and will make remarks about your new "do" !................ :D Roflmao...............:p :p