Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Air & Sea Show Pics (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/78121-air-sea-show-pics.html)

Jayl13 05-03-2004 08:11 PM

man i wanted to go but flew back from PA on sunday.
well there is always next year
J

Ted G 05-03-2004 08:22 PM

Originally posted by Danny_Ocean

Not trying to hijack the thread, but...what is the protocol when rafting at a dock? Do you just tie-up and stomp through everyone's boat to get to the dock? Do you ask permission?

I've never "double-parked" before, but plan on it soon (Shooters).

Thanks in advance,

D. Ocean
Pompano Beach, FLA

Here is how we like to do it:

Raft Up Etiquette for CBPBA Events

Smaller boats, please hover and wait for larger sized boats to run in closer to bulkheads. Rafting up several boats is easier and stronger when we run larger boat sizes out to the smaller sizes.

Raft up only with boats of similar size and type to avoid damage caused by rubbing between dramatically disparate sizes (i.e., a 22' up against a 42').

NO SHOES!!!! Remove shoes before traversing the raftup, and try to walk "swim platform to swim platform" if available.

Worth repeating, walk only on swim platforms to cross the raftup or crawl across sunpads on boats with no platform area.

Place guests/mates at positions on the bow and stern for raftup approach, have lines and fenders ready.

Use a minimum of 2 fenders for rafting up, 3 is preferred.

Always assist incoming boats joining the raftup. There's really very few times where we have "too many people helping".

Request permission to board bow areas before jumping over to assist, bare feet only.

Always approach at idle speed and angle approach into the wind or current.

Use VHF Channel 69 for boat-to-boat communication or to contact a CBPBA event coordinator for advice or help with anything.

Hope that helps-a lot of damage could be avoided if more people knew how to raft properly.

Jamie B. 05-03-2004 08:25 PM

Originally posted by Danny_Ocean

Not trying to hijack the thread, but...what is the protocol when rafting at a dock? Do you just tie-up and stomp through everyone's boat to get to the dock? Do you ask permission?

I've never "double-parked" before, but plan on it soon (Shooters).

Thanks in advance,

D. Ocean
Pompano Beach, FLA

There are usually staff members / boat valets from the establishment that will direct you in. I know Shooters has guys pointing / directing you to where they want you, and help you tie up if needed. They do on heavy volume days anyways, like Saturday's and Sunday's for the bikini contests :drool:

Downtown42 05-03-2004 08:26 PM

nice job inspector Ted

Downtown42 05-03-2004 08:28 PM

oh yeah, don't spill your drink as your criss-crossin too

BLee 05-03-2004 08:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally posted by insptech
Here is how we like to do it:

Raft Up Etiquette for CBPBA Events

Smaller boats, please hover and wait for larger sized boats to run in closer to bulkheads. Rafting up several boats is easier and stronger when we run larger boat sizes out to the smaller sizes.

Raft up only with boats of similar size and type to avoid damage caused by rubbing between dramatically disparate sizes (i.e., a 22' up against a 42').

NO SHOES!!!! Remove shoes before traversing the raftup, and try to walk "swim platform to swim platform" if available.

Worth repeating, walk only on swim platforms to cross the raftup or crawl across sunpads on boats with no platform area.

Place guests/mates at positions on the bow and stern for raftup approach, have lines and fenders ready.

Use a minimum of 2 fenders for rafting up, 3 is preferred.

Always assist incoming boats joining the raftup. There's really very few times where we have "too many people helping".

Request permission to board bow areas before jumping over to assist, bare feet only.

Always approach at idle speed and angle approach into the wind or current.

Use VHF Channel 69 for boat-to-boat communication or to contact a CBPBA event coordinator for advice or help with anything.

Hope that helps-a lot of damage could be avoided if more people knew how to raft properly.

Those are damn good words to live by. :cool:

I always throw a towel over the back and front when there will be lots of people moving through.

You never know what might decide to camp out.

Downtown42 05-03-2004 08:48 PM

holy balls #2

R Addiction 05-03-2004 09:10 PM

Looks like fun!! May have to check this out next year!:cool:

Jayl13, Are we good enough for you now?

irace 05-03-2004 11:38 PM

Hi Bobby, just got back from Orange Beach. Thanks for the pics of the air show. Say hi to your dad from me.

Iggy 05-04-2004 06:44 AM

Looks like it was a great success.
Cool pics.

Saw on the news a stunt pilot and aircraft was lost during practice Friday (I believe). Somebody got the whole decent on video. Aircraft spin in to the sea from a high altitude.
My thoughts and prayers go out to the pilots family.