Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Does anyone know this 33 Daytona? >

Does anyone know this 33 Daytona?

Notices

Does anyone know this 33 Daytona?

Old 05-05-2004, 12:35 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm putting the two parties in touch. To clear the air...the former owner told me earlier tonight 128 mph and change @5900-6000 at Lake X and the boat does not bounce. Said the CG as measured was almost perfect @ the front seat backs. Noted this was a heavy boat both in lay-up and every doo-dad known to man. He told me what the boat weighed and I forgot, (too many night shifts). We all know how critical the correct props are on a piece like this...and apparently they are "missing" from the package! Wanted to put some more facts up.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:59 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by Laveyman
I noticed that too at speed. At 95 and above it seemed to "bounce" as opposed to a nice even floating that I've always thaought a big cat should have for a ride. Any 33 Daytona owners out there to give me some input???
Doc John on our lake has one and he has the same porpoising problem with his.
It does run like a raped ape however. He maxs out around 115.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:55 PM
Charter Member #590
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rippem,

Got the PM. Thanks for the hookup. I'll call him to get the full, straight scoop. I knew I could could on the brotherhood to come through on this one. The internet is an amazingly powerful tool!
Old 05-13-2004, 03:53 PM
Charter Member #590
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually got to talk with the previous owner on the phone a few nights ago. He was able to answer all my questions, and much more! As it turns out the boat did spend three weeks at Lake X. I told the owner the conditins and drive settings....His response was, "NO! NO! NO! Way too much trim!" As it turns out we were putting way too much positive trim on the drives, which he readily admitted will cause the porpoising. He said to set the trim at #2 and forget it. Smooth sailing!

As far as the props and speed, he said it sounds like the props on the boat are the correct ones. They are labbed Merc cleavers dialed in at Lake X. The boat was weighed there and came out at a whopping 10,100 pounds DRY! He said it is one of the heaviest Daytonas out there due to all the stuff he added. Just the seats alone weigh a friggin' ton. The back seat took five guys to lift into the boat. He said the boat will run 125 on GPS all day long, but not any faster due to the extra bulky weight. He said there is a very slight hopping when at top speed on very smooth water, but add some decent lake chop to the lake and it goes away and the ride is like floating on a cloud. With the current setup properly jetted for the desert heat/elevation he is positive the boat should be able to still run 125.

The guy was obviously in loves with this boat and truly did not want to give it up. He went on and on talking about his "baby" and was very proud of it. It just would not fit down the launch ramp at his new home on a river in upstate NY. He was forced to downsize to the 27 Daytona. (Poor bastard!)

So, I think it time to talk seriously with Eliminator. Got an appointment for Friday AM.