Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Poker Run on Lake Charlevoix? >

Poker Run on Lake Charlevoix?

Notices

Poker Run on Lake Charlevoix?

Old 05-05-2004, 02:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sure Howard will let us know. Interesting info about SOTW though, are you saying that none of the entry fee gets donated, I find that hard to believe since when people have complained about the entry fee he talks about the money for Make a Wish, I sure hope you are mistaken, perhaps Marc can let us know.
Old 05-05-2004, 03:01 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know what the entry fee is???
Old 05-05-2004, 03:11 PM
Registered

Default BoyneThunder Charity Amount

100% of all funds go to charity. We have no paid staff & all labor is donated. There are costs for food, etc., but all other money goes to charity. While not a tax advisor, most of the fee should be tax deductible. We are having high end food with a dnner at Garrett's On Water Street, lunch at Bay Harbor and an awards banquet with a Northern Michigan theme (probably beef and white fish).
Old 05-05-2004, 03:17 PM
Registered

Default Boyne Thunder Entry Fee

The entry fee is $600 for two and $100 more for each additional and includes Friday reception, dinner, live entertainment and pub crawl, breakfast Saturday at Lester's, Lunch at Bay Harbor, reception and awards banquet, goodie bag, T shirts , etc. The following other poker runs are also $600: Sarasota, Fort Myers, Quebec City, Alexandria Bay, and Georgian Bay. Ours is 100% charity and the other are not. Go for the deduction!!
Old 05-05-2004, 03:40 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Our event is dedicated to providing as much money for the Make a wish foundation as we possibly can

$29,000 plus last year alone

Entry fee is $1000 for boat and 4 participants $150 for any additional over 4 on your boat)

includes 4 Top Drawer meals including Steak and Lobster on Sat Night

I have also posted all the gifts in the goodie bag on another thread

we are hoping to break the $100,000 Total raised for the kids this year
Old 05-05-2004, 03:53 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Howard I think your a little steep for a first year event...no mention of a video,helicopter shots... I'll bet thats where alot of the money fo SOTW goes. Sounds like great eats but does it include Beer and wine? with 4 people your at $800 thats close to the entry of SOTW and its one of the best in the nation..... My .02
Old 05-05-2004, 03:57 PM
Registered

Don,

thanks i forgot those things

we do so many things i forget what all it is we do

The DVD is always great we cover entire event from air and ground and a copy goes to each boat entered
we send them out around Christmas (winter teaser)
Old 05-05-2004, 04:06 PM
Registered

Wink BoyneThunder Alcohol

Drinks are included. The fee is certainly partially, in fact mostly, tax deductible with the proceeds going to support kids with cancer. We are trying to give a quality experience and raise money. We knew that no one wanted a low quality event. Our marina is smaller than most so we are going to have a 45 boat limit. That too, causes problems on the money raising side.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:45 PM
Registered

Marc my understanding has always been that the money raised for make a wish was from the donated items that are auctioned off at SOTW.

I agree that you include alot of things with the pokerrun and I enjoyed myself at the pokerrun. So maybe I misunderstood and if that is the case I apologize.

I guess my question to you is then, of the $29,000 that was raised, was the money soley from the auctioning of items that were donated or did SOTW donate part of the $1000.00 entry fee to make a wish.

I think its a legitimate question for anyone that is participating in a charity event to know what part of their entry fee is going to the charity or how the event benefits the charity.

My question was actually directed to Howard but I guess in all fairness I should ask you the same thing.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:18 PM
Registered

Ron,

without explaining the entire logistics of raising money for a charity (I cant type that much )

suffice to say we personally do not make any money on this event THIS IS A FACT!

as a matter of fact Bob and I have reached in our personal pockets to make this happen each year

and all of the money that is brought in, above and beyond the cost to put on this event, goes to the make a wish foundation Bob and I contribute thousands to make sure many things get coverd that normally would come out of the overall money just so we can give the kids a larger piece of the pie

fact is we are Make a wish of Michigan's second largest outside contributer thanks to the great offshore guys and girls that participate in this event

Quick Reply: Poker Run on Lake Charlevoix?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.