Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Well, JCI layed out the layoff schedule today... you will not believe this! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/78306-well-jci-layed-out-layoff-schedule-today-you-will-not-believe.html)

Waterfoul 05-04-2004 11:18 PM

$87 a week is what the assembly workers will make building our parts in Ramos. Free bus transportation to and from work. Free medical care on site. This is a LOT more than most Mexican workers have. But, it's not their fault.

In a word, NAFTA. O.K. I guess that's an acronym. Oh yeah, have to include corporate GREED!!! Phockers. Our CEO makes about $8 million a year. Never been poor in his life. Phock him.

MitchStellin 05-04-2004 11:18 PM

Mike, take this time to do a really piss poor job. Take long lunches, sick days, personal days, vacation days, f-U days. sabotage the line, start small fires in trash cans, sexually assault women, swear like a sailor, otherwise just do what you do every day:D Then to top it all off....pee on the bosses desk.:cool:

Waterfoul 05-04-2004 11:21 PM

Geez, that won't get me fired or anything would it Mitch?? Na.... :rolleyes:

candyman35 05-04-2004 11:47 PM

Mike,
Sorry to here about your Job. Update the resume and start looking now. You owe them nothing!

In the last three years all of my candy Reps with 20 plus years experience have been let go. Some were told at off site meetings and were not allowed back into the buildings to clean out their desks. Their desks were cleaned out for them. The Topps company had a large plant in a small town in PA. They employed a large portion of the town. Two weeks before Christmas they announced the plants closing. They now out-source all there products. Made a great Christmas gift for their employees. Sad times we are living in. Thank you NAFTA!
Dan

wwwTOPDJcom 05-05-2004 12:24 AM

In December 1992 NAFTA was signed by the leaders of the three countries—Brian Mulroney of Canada, Carlos Salinas de Gortari of Mexico, and George H. W. Bush of the United States. After a lengthy debate, the legislatures in all three countries approved NAFTA in 1993. In the United States, the debate over NAFTA divided members of both the Democratic and Republican parties and ignited fierce opposition from environmental and labor groups. Many feared that jobs would be lost because the agreement would facilitate the movement of U.S. production plants to Mexico, where plants could take advantage of cheaper labor and lax enforcement of environmental and workers’ rights laws. Environmental groups were concerned that pollution and food safety controls would be more difficult to enforce and could be challenged and eliminated on the grounds that they were trade barriers. In response to these concerns, two supplemental agreements were added to the formal treaty; one addressed labor issues and the other environmental issues. Subsequently, the Congress of the United States narrowly approved NAFTA in November 1993.

Danny_Ocean 05-05-2004 12:34 AM

And if everyone in the USofA just STOPPED BUYING JUNK MADE IN CHINA AND MEXICO, perhaps some of the jobs will come back.

First thing I look at is the "Made in..." sticker. Second thing I look at is price. Two items, similarly priced...I always pick the Made in USA piece. And, if the Made in USA piece is significantly higher, I then compare quality. "Made in USA" almost always wins out.

WalMart = "America's Store"? Ha! I challenge anyone to find anything in WalMart that is not made in China (exception: the hot-dogs at the snack bar, and I'm even suspicious of them). If the BILLIONAIRE Walton family (ALL on Forbes top 10 Wealthiest People in the World list) could figure out a way to import hot-dogs from China, they would.

I know, I know...someone is going to post here and blather on about how we need International trade and that a lot of American jobs are tied to the import of these items, but...Waterfoul is living proof that this BS eventually trickles down to the regular guy like you and I.

Buy American or not at all.

D. Ocean
Pompano Beach, FLA

Cord 05-05-2004 08:06 AM

Mike-a year is almost enough time to find yourself a really good job. You have enough time to pound pavement and find one that you really want. You don't have to take the first one that is offered to you. In 18 months, that will be your only choice. Knowing that your job future is bleak, I don't know if I'd be sticking money into the boat. I know that the boat is worth less than what you owe, but that's the ****s of the deal. Hopefully, the bank will let you convert the difference to a unsecured personal loan. Depending on the term, maybe the payments would even be less. Then in two years, you can get yourself a newer better boat. I'm not trying to discourage you, but I'm trying to push you twords some stability in anticipation of some hard(er) times ahead.

cuda 05-05-2004 10:36 AM

Well, there appears to be an opening selling boat lifts in South Florida.

mopower 05-05-2004 11:29 AM

NAFTA:hothead: :hothead: :hothead:

It's really great for our economy and large corps. in the short run because THEY make MORE money.
Now tell me how WE are supposed to pay for the products.
I say this because I have till May 11 to make a decision.
The corporation I work for made me offer I better not refuse.
Basically , two years pay plus my pension of 37 years which is slightly less than half what I make. Our contract is up 12/10/05 and I may not get this opportunity again.
I'm still 5 years away from minimum S.S.
Worst of all , our top guys always go with their "Golden Parachutes":hothead: You know 7 and 8 figures:hothead:
Sorry to ramble...I just had to vent:o

wannabe 05-05-2004 01:19 PM

Foul

Choices:

1. Go find a job at Lear or Intier, (I work at Lear-20 years in everything from, finance M & A to Purchasing)

2. Go to work at an ex-Lear plant (I sold two- Holland and Byron Center).

3. Take the ever popular over the internet Apache Whatchamacallit Boat Company Sales staffing test I administer- Fee $ 250 send me a money order and i will email your password to you.

4. Other company.

Wannabe

PS. For those unfamiliar with western Mich, the good high paying jobs are shrinking.