Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Oil Co. Posting Record Profits >

Oil Co. Posting Record Profits

Notices

Oil Co. Posting Record Profits

Old 05-05-2004, 12:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jt, sorry for taking this off topic, although it's still kinda on-topic.

Anyways, a few summers ago when gas prices went through the roof in the summer, I beleive it was Marathon that had a gas pipeline break between Chicago and Detroit. Here gas went up to over $2 a gallon in a hurry and of course it took most of the summer to fix the pipe. Everyone raised prices to that level and said it was because it all had to be trucked here. Then in October I saw an article in the business section that all of the oil companies just blew away the profit records for the previous quarter when they were just "covering their costs." The conspiracy theorist in me says maybe it was just a test to see what they could get away with.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:18 AM
Registered

So does this mean if i vote for kerry I am going to pay more for my beloved heinz? I go through a 40oz bottle about every ten days.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:18 AM
Registered

I said it before, oil prices has no relation to gas price. It's simply what the market will bear. The only thing the oil companies (or almost any other company) cater to is stock prices and their bonus.

-Greg
Old 05-05-2004, 08:19 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by GregP
I said it before, oil prices has no relation to gas price. It's simply what the market will bear. The only thing the oil companies (or almost any other company) cater to is stock prices and their bonus.

-Greg
And I said it before, your wrong.

Originally posted by Formula Outlaw
There is no reason on the planet Earth that gas isn't in the dollar a gallon range,
Actualy, there are lots of reasons.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:29 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Oil Co. Posting Record Profits

Buy shares then.

As for the Politics let's see if the sugar mama marrying yale dude can beat our yale moron. I'm in for $100 Brett you up for it?
Old 05-05-2004, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is an interesting thread.
I'm a republican (at least in theory) but I have to agree that although Bush has done a good job defending the country (I said good, not great, and not very cost efficiently, but that is another matter), he is on his way to losing the next election. People don't really give a sh*t about politics unless it affects them personally. It doesn't get much more personal than paying for the gas you just put in your car.
Whether he has anything to do with it or not, the public perception is that a Texas oil man is letting his buddies run amuck.
Now, if Kerry wins, hang on to your *ss. It could get REAL ugly for everyone. Especially those of us that enjoy powerboating, burning fossil fuel, and living life to the fullest.
On the other hand, he is so much of a wimp that it won't take much to change his mind on anything.

Unfortunately, anybody worth electing as president is entirely too smart to want anything to do with it.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:13 AM
Registered

If the Dummycrats get in we will be paying $2.00 a gal in taxes!!!
Old 05-05-2004, 09:24 AM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Do a search- I told you months ago they would be posting incredible record profits.
The oil companies could pay off the national debt. They simply choose to lobby and pay off the politicians to look the other way. It's much cheaper for them to continue that practice.

Your choices are simple.

Buy a case of KY and keep bit ching, or buy some oil company stock..........
Old 05-05-2004, 09:40 AM
Registered

Originally posted by mjpcowboy

The money to support all their social programs has to come from some where... and the working man is already taking it up the ol'e stink hole, so they will just keep sticking it to us, through additional taxes...
Old 05-05-2004, 09:45 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally posted by mjpcowboy
There we go. MJP is on the right track about taxes playing a key role.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.