Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Oil Co. Posting Record Profits (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/78336-oil-co-posting-record-profits.html)

mlitefan 05-05-2004 02:22 PM

Re: Re: Re: Oil Co. Posting Record Profits

Originally posted by d-hlaw
I wont take that bet.... I am a firm believer that there are far more intellectually challenged people out there supporting Bush than we suspect. We may allow the simpletons to set policy for another 4 years!!!
Spoken like a true liberal elitist.:rolleyes:

dhlaw 05-05-2004 02:25 PM

Originally posted by mlitefan
With a presidential election this close at hand, it really scares the hell out of me to read a thread so full of BS and misconceptions and outright untruths.

For a lot of "smart" people here who all make a lot of money, I see a ton of ignorance when it comes to the issues.

I Agree!!

BLee 05-05-2004 02:31 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Oil Co. Posting Record Profits

Originally posted by mlitefan
Spoken like a true liberal elitist.:rolleyes:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

HyperBaja 05-05-2004 02:35 PM

2.04 per gallon!! This summer will seperate the men from the boys. The few of us with small engines that use no gas will still be on oso while the rest of you will be on www.sailingonly.com :eek:

mlitefan 05-05-2004 02:42 PM

Originally posted by d-hlaw
Whattya expect?? The hapless moron from texas is leading the country right down the crapper all while his buddies are gouging us at the pumps, his buddies are the contract winners for the rebuilding of Iraq, his buddies get to ship jobs out of the US (see post of guy losing job at JCI to mexicans). Vote him in again, I dare you!!
Were they Clintons buddies when he handed them no bid contracts in the Balkins or was that OK because it was Clinton doing it?

As for the Mexicans, why don't you tell everyone what the democrats just proposed. Makes Bush's proposal look like he is errecting an iron curtan.

mlitefan 05-05-2004 02:50 PM

Originally posted by Bill272
I like the reports about GW's pact with the Saudis about how they will drop prices just before the election. You can't call this gouging for record profits un-american. Because to question Bush is un-american. This goes right along with GW and his handlers plans - raping the american public for massive personal gain, all while convincing them that you're just an ass-kickin good ole boy because you sent their kids to war. As far as I can tell, the oil companies are as American as they come. Mission Accomplished.

Come on people. If you are going to hold and espouse opinions, at least make sure they are based in truth.

The suggestion that the Saudi government and Bush administration struck a deal to lower U.S. gasoline prices before the 2004 election seemed like one of the more explosive allegations made by Bob Woodward in his new book and media blitz.

But Woodward explained yesterday that he never said there was any secret deal. And he never said the Saudis' plans were explicitly linked to an effort to reelect Bush.

Here are Mike Wallace and Woodward on CBS's 60 Minutes" Sunday night, discussing Prince Bandar bin Sultan, the Saudi ambassador to the United States and a confidant of the Bush family:

"WALLACE: Prince Bandar enjoys easy access to the Oval Office. His family and the Bush family are close. And Woodward told us that Bandar has promised the president that Saudi Arabia will lower oil prices in the months before the election to ensure the US economy is strong on Election Day.

"And you also say, 'Bandar wanted Bush to know that the Saudis hoped to fine-tune oil prices to prime the economy in 2004. What was key, Bandar understood, were the economic conditions before a presidential election.'

"Oil prices are at an all-time high.

"Mr. WOODWARD: They're high, and they could go down very quickly. That's the Saudi pledge. Certainly over the summer or as we get closer to the election, they increase production several million barrels a day and the price would drop significantly."

But on CNN's "Larry King Live" last night, Woodward explained that he never suggested that there was any covert deal.
Differing opinions are what makes this country go round. I just happen to make sure I do my homework before I express mine. I also do not let emotion overide the facts.

mlitefan 05-05-2004 02:52 PM

Now someone please tell me why we can't become a little more independant and get our own oil from our own country, rather than let these bastards keep us swinging in the wind at will?

Someone else tell me when was the last refinery built in this country. All the oil in the world doesn't do us a damn bit of good if we can't refine it.

mlitefan 05-05-2004 02:59 PM

Originally posted by Bill272
Oh yeah, I almost forgot. It's ok for big oil to screw us over. I'm so glad that Halliburton gouges us out our tax revenues on their no-bid contracts, even as they paid Cheney more money last year than he made as VP of the country. All of this is just fine with me because Clinton liked blowjobs. That bastard, how could he do that to us.

Oh, and kudos to the Republicans for revoking the most favored trade status that Clinton gave to China. Good to see them making attempts to change things instead of just *****ing about Clinton.

I've said this before, and 3 years have gone by now. Republican of the US - You won the elections. You have the White House, both houses of Congress, and the Supreme Court. Clinton lost, you won, get the F**K over it already and do something that doesn't involve screwing over the common man.

even as they paid Cheney more money last year than he made as VP of the country.
Cheney gets the exact same amount of money if Halliburton make a dime or 900 Billion. Are you upset that Kerry gets money from a company that moved so many jobs out of this country?

As for control, I would hope you were well versed enough to understand that the republicans do not have a large enough majority to override the democrat machine. Please tell me you understand this fact. When the democrats want to stop things, they can and have on almost every issue for three years now.

mr_velocity 05-05-2004 02:59 PM

Originally posted by PokerRunGunT/S

If Oil prices are high for instance, the price to refine gasoline increases with it (because gasoline is refined using crude and other materials). Oil is high right now, so obviously the price will rise on gasoline if it costs more to refine it. Basic common sense.

I can understand why the gas would cost more, what I don't understand is if it costs them more to produce the gas how does that increase their profits? I can see revenues going up but not profits.

IDRPSTF 05-05-2004 03:00 PM

For a lot of "smart" people here who all make a lot of money, I see a ton of ignorance when it comes to the issues.
I thank god you are here to determine smart from ignorant!
Let everyone have an opinion, and now more than ever we should question authority.
This great country of ours has been tainted by our leaders. And we as Americans are being judged by the rest of the world. Step out of the Comfort Bubble that makes you think we are looked up to by all. Our leaders have shown no accountability to the rest of the world for our actions as a country in the past few years. And with these prices not jiving with currant events, they need to show accountability to us. We are all paying way too much for gas...Why?