Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Info on Myrtle Beach crash (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/78530-info-myrtle-beach-crash.html)

BK 05-07-2004 08:33 AM

Info on Myrtle Beach crash

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld...al/8611030.htm

Posted on Fri, May. 07, 2004

DNR awaits blood-alcohol test in boat crash

By Kelly Marshall
The Sun News

Investigators with the S.C. Department of Natural Resources are waiting for results of blood-alcohol tests before releasing information about a fatal boat crash on the Intracoastal Waterway.

Blood taken from Nathan Clemens, 26, is being analyzed by the S.C. Law Enforcement Division, said Lt. Robert McCullough with the S.C. Department of Natural Resources.

"This [test] is done anytime there is a question of a blood alcohol," McCullough said. "When you do a toxicology screen on blood, there are no questions when it comes to that."

Toxicology tests are incomplete on John Nance Jr., 43, who was killed in the crash, said Horry County Deputy Coroner Dan Bellamy.

Clemens was driving Nance's Cigarette boat April 18 when he said it flipped several times near the Bucksport Marina.

Clemens had minor injuries.

Nance's body was found two days later near the marina.

Investigators have worked for the past two weeks to determine the cause of the crash.

Clemens said he hit a log or tree going 35 mph on the waterway.

The boat has no marks on the hull, McCullough said.

A Cigarette boat has a long, narrow design and is used in competitive powerboat racing.

Nance purchased the boat in Florida about eight months ago.

clearcut3 05-07-2004 09:09 AM

Re: Info on Myrtle Beach crash

Originally posted by BK
[url]
Toxicology tests are incomplete on John Nance Jr., 43, who was killed in the crash, said Horry County Deputy Coroner Dan Bellamy.

Clemens said he hit a log or tree going 35 mph on the waterway.

WTF...the man is dead...why the hell does a toxicology report need to be done...he wasn't driving :hothead: I don't give a chit if he was plastered...he WASN"T operating the boat.

Hit a log or tree doing 35 mph. I'm calling BS on that. I don't have any experience with TS topguns but in a conventional you wouldn't even be on a plane at that speed.

388Hustler 05-07-2004 09:35 AM

Is it possible to flip a boat several times at 35mph?

OldSchool 05-07-2004 09:44 AM

Re: Re: Info on Myrtle Beach crash

Originally posted by clearcut3
WTF...the man is dead...why the hell does a toxicology report need to be done...he wasn't driving :hothead: I don't give a chit if he was plastered...he WASN"T operating the boat.

Hit a log or tree doing 35 mph. I'm calling BS on that. I don't have any experience with TS topguns but in a conventional you wouldn't even be on a plane at that speed.

Go back and re-read the first post. The guy who lived was driving the boat (Sea Trial?). If he comes back with a positive BAC, he is up the creek big time.:(

OldSchool 05-07-2004 09:44 AM

Originally posted by 388Hustler
Is it possible to flip a boat several times at 35mph?
NO

packinair 05-07-2004 10:14 AM

Re: Re: Re: Info on Myrtle Beach crash

Originally posted by craig223
(Sea Trial?). .:(
I wish I could get someone to let me sea trial a 38 ts when I was 26

clearcut3 05-07-2004 06:46 PM

Re: Re: Re: Info on Myrtle Beach crash

Originally posted by craig223
Go back and re-read the first post. The guy who lived was driving the boat (Sea Trial?). If he comes back with a positive BAC, he is up the creek big time.:(
I read that..but it also states:

That is fine if they want to do one but who cares...let him rest in peace.

Phantom1 05-07-2004 06:54 PM

Excerpts from the 911 call.

911 Call

Posted on Tue, Apr. 27, 2004

TRANSCRIPTS | Excerpts from Horry County 911 calls April 18

The following are excerpts from calls to the Horry County 911 dispatch center related to a fatal boat crash April 18. Specific times were not provided.

First call

Shannon Nance, wife of John Nance Jr., the boater killed in the crash, called 911.

Dispatch: "911."

Nance: "Yes, ma'am. My husband just called; he just wrecked his boat. He's on the waterway. He said he's just south of Osprey ..."

Dispatch: "Whereabouts on the waterway is it?"

Nance: "He said he's on the waterway south of Osprey Marina."

Dispatch: "Is he hurt?"

Nance: "I guess so, he's screaming at me to call 911."

Dispatch: "Have you still got contact with him?"

Nance: "I don't. It was ... actually, it wasn't him, it was the person with him ..."

Dispatch: "And he's still on the river?"

Nance: "Yes."

After collecting more information, the dispatcher gets cell phone numbers for John Nance and Nathan Clemens, who was driving the boat and who had called Shannon Nance. The dispatcher promises to get ambulances on the way, then hangs up to call Clemens.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Second call

Clemens: "Hello?"

Dispatch: "Are you involved in a boat wreck, sir?"

Clemens: "Yes."

Dispatch: "What are you close to; can you give me any mile markers in the river?"

Clemens: "About a mile straight south of Osprey Marina." (Cell phone appears to be losing signal.)

Dispatch: "You're where, sir?" (The two say they have difficulty hearing one another.)

Clemens: (Seems to check with people in his background) "Three miles south of Bucksport."

Dispatch: "You're three miles south of Bucksport? Your wife said you're near Osprey Marina."

Clemens: "... Well, between Osprey and Bucksport."

Dispatch: "Is anybody hurt?"

Clemens: "I can't find one of my friends that was with me."

Dispatch: "... Do you know which side of Bucksport Marina?"

Clemens: (Seems to check with someone) "South. Three miles."

Dispatch: (Dispatcher repeats "Hello?" trying to get his attention.)

Clemens: "My buddy is gone. My buddy is missing."

Dispatch: "OK, honey. Just stay on the phone with me, OK? What did y'all run into?"

Clemens: "A log."

Dispatch: "A log?"

Clemens: "We hit it dead-on. We were going about 30-35 miles an hour and hit it dead-on. Flipped the boat."

Dispatch: "Waccamaw River or the waterway?"

Clemens: "Waterway."

Dispatch: (Dispatcher talks to other dispatchers)

Clemens: "I had to swim about half a mile just to get back to the boat. It rolled like three or four times."

Dispatch: "Are you OK?"

Clemens: "I'm fine ..."

Dispatch: "We got help coming to you, just stay with me on the phone. ... Are you John?"

Clemens: "My name is Nate Clemens."

Dispatch: "Is John with you?"

Clemens: "John is not with me. He was with me."

The dispatcher is confused about whether Nance or Clemens called Shannon Nance, and they ask each other questions to get clarity. Meanwhile, the dispatcher also collects information about the boat, the crash and Nance.

While the dispatcher types, Clemens is heard telling someone else: "I hit a log and flipped it. I don't even know if it was a log. It must have been a tree or something."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Third call

Annie Brown, Clemens' girlfriend, asks dispatchers for ambulance help. She said about 30 minutes had passed since the first call.

Dispatcher assured her that help was on the way.

THEJOKER 05-07-2004 09:30 PM

That is a tragic situation! I used to personally maintain that boat before the guy that got killed bought it. Man that's a tough one. Prayers for his family! BH

martiniboat 05-07-2004 09:36 PM

I just hate reading that stuff.:(

Brian