Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Engine accident leaves my dad in the hospital (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/78612-engine-accident-leaves-my-dad-hospital.html)

Ms PatriYacht 05-08-2004 11:05 PM

OMG M that sounds awful, I bet a lot of people have been hurt in their engine compartments. Sometimes Mr P will hear a noise while we are in the middle of the lake we stop and he just hangs way over or gets inside the engine compartment, sometimes I have to hold on to his legs so he doesnt' fall in. My mom and I were saying what if my Dad was out on the water by himself and this happened.
Thanks for the kind words, we still do know much, my Mom just got back from the hospital she said he seems OK but very sore and very cut up, she said his leg are just shredded, and he is extremely black and blue all over.
He is tough, and has had several minor industrial accidents including losing the top half of several fingers. He loves motors, gets every kind of car, motorcycle and boat magazine there is. The poor guy had no sons just me and my sister. He loves talking with Ian about all their engine projects.
Please keep posting so when he get's back home I will have my sister show him this tread, maybe after reading all your kind words he will not feel so silly.
Thanks Donna

THEJOKER 05-08-2004 11:10 PM

Sounds like your dad is a trooper! Glad he's ok - BH

Ms PatriYacht 05-08-2004 11:14 PM

Originally posted by Wes Smith
PTY,

We're here on Long Island if we can help in any way.

Just say the word......

The boat is in a marina in Copaigue(spelling??) not sure of the name (Mom did not know) a pretty small place maybe Tony's . During the summer it is in a well behind my sister's house on a canal in Babylon . Thank you for your offer of help, at the moment I think we are OK, but if things don't go well I might call upon you Island guys for help.

Danny_Ocean 05-08-2004 11:39 PM

I haven't been stuck...yet, but could see it easily happening. For me, it's mostly been Three Stooges kinda stuff (touch something hot, jump up and bang your head).

Well...gotta look at the positive side. Your dad will have a great story to tell for the next several Thanksgivings.

D. Ocean
Pompano Beach, FLA

cig1988 05-09-2004 07:19 AM

Donna, I'm on the Island as well. If there is anything I can do by all means. I'll be leaving for Marathon on Wednesday and back Monday night. I'm about 1/2 hour east (w/no traffic) of Copaigue. Glad to hear your Dad is OK. Stan.

GO4BROKE 05-09-2004 07:23 AM

I've been stuck, it's scary! Best wishes and a speedy recovery. Worrying about the boat is a great sign!

racinbird 05-09-2004 08:46 AM

I wish him the best....

This story hits home, my grandmother fell into the engine bay of thier 42' Grand Banks, she wasnt so lucky though, numerous bruises, fractured bones and dislocated hip, she also was in her low seventies, she was in the hospitol for months.

God bless and speedy recovery, sounds like a strong man.

Qball 05-09-2004 09:07 AM

I am glad your dad is ok...

I don't have to worry about getting stuck in an engine compartment.......I am too fat to fit anywhere....so I dont try.:D :p

open87 05-09-2004 09:23 AM

glad he will be ok. i got stuck once , at my old house i had put a new vinyl bulkhead righ outside of the exisiting wooden one and dropped a rubber mall . i saw it so i figured i could grab it , as i reached for it i just slid right down- in between both bulkheads head first. no one was around and needless to say i was starting to panic. about 15 minutes passed , and i felt the blood rushing to my melon. i got myself un- weged about 10 minutes later. it had to look funny cause all u could see was 2 legs coming out of the ground:D :D

fatdaddy 05-09-2004 12:07 PM

Tell him not too feel embarrased, stuff like that happens all the time. Get well soon.