Drifting...a Radical New Sport

Notices

Drifting...a Radical New Sport

Old 05-09-2004, 11:25 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you can do that on step bottom boats also

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 05-09-2004, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Puder, what the heck happened w/ your spelling? Not a single error.
Old 05-09-2004, 05:24 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

origonally=originally

He's still Puder!
Old 05-09-2004, 05:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was the King of "drifting" back in high school and college. I had a 240Z and I would hang it out all day! We used to go to parking lots on Sundays and slide until the cops came or the tires blew.

Im glad this is getting attention. You have to have a real sports car to drift meaning REAR WHEEL DRIVE. Anything to take away the popularity of front wheel drive cars is good for me!

I cant stand front drive cars.

Ron
Old 05-09-2004, 08:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

Yeah, in 1976 we would take a buddy's 1974 4 speed Formula Firebird 400 to the old airport parking lot and take turns. The stopwatch started and ran until you "let" the rear tires hook up (you were allowed brief instants of hookup time when shifting of course). Longest time won an "exemption" and the rest of the guys (usually 3 of us) had to pay for a pair of used rear tires.

My favorite time-eater was the good old figure eight in second gear. There was essentially no upper time limit to that pattern. Could keep er going more or less forever.

Had no idea it would eventually become a sanctioned event with a paying audience and hot sponsor chicks...
Old 05-10-2004, 06:31 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

The ultimate drifter.
Attached Thumbnails Drifting...a Radical New Sport-gv.jpg  
Old 05-10-2004, 08:49 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GLH, cool pic.
It's cool to watch the F1 cars toss the tail out to get around a tight corner.
The sports cars racing in the 60's used to slide the tail when cornering all the time. Back then it was called "power on oversteer".
Old 05-10-2004, 09:40 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally posted by Iggy
GLH, cool pic.
Unfortunately he drifted right into heaven in 1982. Bobby Rahal called him the best driver he ever saw.

The best story about his driving is as follows:

Qualifying in the rain at the 1979 US Grand Prix
at Watkins Glen, New York

A friend of mine in America sent me a cassette a while ago. On it is the sound of a lone racing car, unmistakably a Ferrari flat-12, and its clearly audible all the way round the lap. There is a lot of wheelspin - you can hear the revs abruptly scream out of every turn - and then the volume builds until the car swishes by in a welter of spray. He taped it during the first afternoon of practice at Watkins Glen in 1979, when conditions were as bad as I have ever seen at a race circuit. In places the track was flooded, and only eight drivers ventured out.
One of those was Scheckter, who was fastest behind team mate Villeneuve. Eleven seconds behind ...The tape is of course Gilles, and it revived memories of a day when we forgot the wintry rain until he came in, the Ferrari breathless and steaming. In the pits the other drivers, aghast, had giggled nervously every time he skittered by at 160 mph. "Why do we bother? He's different from the rest of us," Jacques Laffite said. "On another level ..."

"I scared myself rigid that day", Jody remembered. "I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"

"Motor racing was a romantic thing for him, you see." Scheckter went on. "We were close friends, doing the same job for the same team, but we had completely opposite attitudes to it. My preoccupation was keeping myself alive, but Gilles had to be the fastest on every lap - even in testing. He was the fastest racing driver the world has ever seen. If he could come back and live his life again, I think he would do exactly the same - and with the same love."

Last edited by GLH; 05-10-2004 at 09:46 AM.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:40 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

On of his quotes, relates to drifting!!!;

And a quote from him;
"I love motor racing. To me it's a sport, not a technical exercise. My ideal Formula One car would be something like a McLaren M23 with a big normally aspirated engine, 800 hp, 21 inch rear tyres. A lot of people say we should have narrower tires, but I don't agree because you need big tyres to slow you down when you spin. And you need a lot of horsepower to unstick big tyres, to make the cars slide. That would be a bloody fantastic spectacle, I can tell you. We would take corners one gear lower than we do now, and get the cars sideways. You know, people still rave about Ronnie Peterson in a Lotus 72, and I understand that. I agree with them. That's the kind of entertainment I want to give the crowds. Smoke the tyres ! Yeah !

I [care about the fans], because I used to be one of them ! I believe the crowd is really losing out at the moment, and that's bad."

Last edited by GLH; 05-10-2004 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:53 AM
Registered

I've driven in a couple of drigfting events, Takes a combo. of alot of skill & really knowing your car, Its alot of fun.
Tire companies always have hot chicks A stripper friend of mine used to be one of the Fulda tire girls.