Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Looking to relocate to Florida - boating advice please! >

Looking to relocate to Florida - boating advice please!

Notices

Looking to relocate to Florida - boating advice please!

Old 05-10-2004, 05:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Blue by You
14 years in Fort Lauderdale and I couldn't wait to move once the kids came. Do your future offspring a favor and say out of South Florida. It's a great place to visit... but...The crime is awful, the people suck and you'll be ranked by Mercedes Class. Your friends will screw you, companies will dik you and nobody cares about anything but themselves.

Finally had to go when a lady was shot in the head by a 16 year old in our grocery store parking lot, because the little punk tried to snatch a 35 year old mom's purse and she didn't let go. BANG! Right in the head....dead! Stay out of FLORIDA! Get a rental or a timeshare in the Carolinas instead. Or visit the extended family more often.
WOW!!!!!!!!!

Dude, it can be bad, but I think you may be making it sound a little worse than it really is. My Girlfriend is a school teacher in the Broward County School system, and you are correct, it is not the best, but FAR from the worst. Jeb is doing the best he can to keep up with the amount of people who are moving down here, the schools are crowded, but they are building new ones, and hiring teachers as fast as the budget will allow, and also setting up contracts with charter Schools to buy him some time to get it all done, but the people keep coming, and its a never ending cycle of building, and overcrowding. NOW, if you get out of the city a little, Like I said, out in West Boca, or up in Loxahatchee, as long as you can find decent paying work within a decent commute, you can have a very good life in South Florida, and just watch all that goes down on the 10 o clock news, and still be within driving distance of all the FUN, when you want to get out.

Ranked by Mecedes Class??, OK, but not quite, I drive a chevy 1500 Z-71, The woman drives a 2 door 2 wheel drive S-10 Blazer, My boat is a 12 year old Wellcraft bowrider, and nobody looks down on me!!!!

Yes, there are a lot of Mercedes down here, But when I show up at the Bar/Restaurant, the valet is just as happy to park my pickup, and collect his $20, as he is the next guys Mercedes.

South Florida is not for everyone, just those of us who are willing to make certain sacrifices, and stay out of certain neighborhoods, in exchange for the best boating/bars/restaurants/beaches in the WORLD
Old 05-10-2004, 06:26 PM
JGB
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I lived in s florida for 7 years(boca) before moving back to St. Pete. both areas are great for boating and have similar amenities. I would say s fl has better restaurants. Proximity to the Bahamas and the keys makes it also a lil bit more desireable for boating. I would also favor s florida if you like to spend the scratch. I would move back there in a snap of a finger.

Tampa bay has more affordable waterfront living which is a huge plus for any avid boater. sunsets are way better also on the left coast of florida. I also have family here so that kinda makes it for me. Obviously if you're seriously considering the move you should check out all the areas to see what feels best for you and yours.

Jim
Old 05-10-2004, 07:31 PM
Charter Member #300
Charter Member

I'm down to Tampa as soon as my house at the 'Jersey shaw sells.

Tampa is definately best for families with school age children. I heading to the Palm Harbor area in the East Lake section. Not horribly crowded, but pricey as far asw FLA goes.

I work for Microsoft so I can pretty much live where I want and keep my salary, but I did some research and tech jobs pay **** in FLA - even with major skills - IMHO.

I did a ton of research and had some help from the boys here at OSO. I'm there as soon as I can get down there. Hopefully in a month or so....
Old 05-10-2004, 08:41 PM
Registered

I've lived in Tampa for 10 years, and Ft Lauderdale for 9. Both are great but South Fl doesn't have bugs. Both have good parts and bad. The night/day life is great at either place. As for schools I have 2 kids in elementary school, we looked at every private school in the area and the public school in our neiborhood was better.

PS: I am a Realtor Hugh

2002 Formula 382 Fast/Tech Loaded every option $165k
954-309-2222

www.BrowardHomeInfo.com
Old 05-11-2004, 08:30 AM
Stillcrazy

Stay away from Cape Coral-Fort Myers area.Nothing there for you. Not one of the things you are looking for,and as for boating forget it.Save the Manatee Club has screwed up the boating unless you have an electric canoe or Kayak.Then you will be welcome.

Old 05-11-2004, 09:50 AM
Registered

Originally posted by Shooter
I'm down to Tampa as soon as my house at the 'Jersey shaw sells.

Tampa is definately best for families with school age children. I heading to the Palm Harbor area in the East Lake section. Not horribly crowded, but pricey as far asw FLA goes.

I work for Microsoft so I can pretty much live where I want and keep my salary, but I did some research and tech jobs pay **** in FLA - even with major skills - IMHO.

I did a ton of research and had some help from the boys here at OSO. I'm there as soon as I can get down there. Hopefully in a month or so....
Thanks Shooter and everyone else for their thoughts on this. Shooter (and anyone else) if you have any suggestions where to look for more information on jobs, schools, etc. that would be most appreciated. Sounds like you did a fair amount of research so if you could pass some it along that would be great. Did you find a home in Palm Harbor on the water, or are you going to trailer?

Thanks everyone, and anyone else in FL please chime in!
Old 05-11-2004, 02:16 PM
Registered

Update! Since I work remotely most the time out of a home office, I just pitched the idea to my boss that I can do the same thing in Florida, and fly cheaper to my clients since Florida air tickets are cheaper. My clients currently are from Maine to Alabama. He went for it! So now I just need to figure out where to set up the homestead!

Currently thinking of Tampa / St. Pete / Clearwater area, Ft Lauderdale, or the Orlando-ish area. My wife has family in all areas mentioned above, with her preference to be near Orlando. I'm thinking Tampa area myself from what I've seen so far for posts. Last time I was in Tampa was probably 15 years though. Seems like Ft. Lauderdale is more pricey, but I still think I want to fly down and check out Palm Beach and Boca. Probably a flight to Tampa is in order too.

So now I REALLY need some suggestions on places to live and boat! My wife is going to flip her lid tonight when I tell her we are going!

EDIT One thing to note: Although I will be coming with a job, I don't neccessarily want to live in the sticks in case something ever happens and I need a new one.

Last edited by jaybird; 05-11-2004 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-11-2004, 02:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by jaybird
EDIT One thing to note: Although I will be coming with a job, I don't neccessarily want to live in the sticks in case something ever happens and I need a new one.
I was going to say, NOW YOU CAN LIVE IN THE WOODS!!!

OK, Choice of anywhere in FL with good access to an Airport for your frequent flights.

I STILL say West Boca, halfway between Ft Lauderdale, and West Palm Beach Airports. less than an hour to downtown West Palm, 30 Minutes to Dowtown Lauderdale, 1 hourish to Miami, 1+ hourish down the turnpike to Key Largo. Oh, and 3 hours up the Turnpike to Orlando.

Well, worth a look anyway.
Old 05-11-2004, 02:44 PM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would stick with some of the major metro areas due to you will be flying. Tampa, Orlando, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale... Orlando is a great place to get many flights in and out of due to it being a tourist area, the downfall is that it is a tourist area and when the peak travel happens you will hate the airport. I live on the east side of orlando, about 30 minutes north of the airport. I like to say I live close enough to benefit from the tourist areas, yet far enough away that I dont have to DEAL with it. I am only about 50 minutes from the east coast (daytona/cocoa) and about 1 hour 20 minutes from the west coast (Tampa) about 2 hours 15 minutes to sarasota. 4 hours to Miami... I like the benefits of not having the salt in the air 24/7 rusting out my vehicle like I lived in the north with the salt on the roads...

just my .02 anyway....
Old 05-11-2004, 03:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Alright! Great news...

Good luck finding a location and moving. You're going to love it!

Quick Reply: Looking to relocate to Florida - boating advice please!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.