Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Did Someone Sink a 35-Foot Nordic at Lake Cumberland? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/78721-did-someone-sink-35-foot-nordic-lake-cumberland.html)

Macklin 05-11-2004 06:43 AM

Wow! Scary chit!! Glad y'all are OK. That's another wake up call. The HRPA is heading up river this weekend to hook up with the RPBA. Lots of 'floating gators' to watch out for. I will be wearing my lanyards......which I am trying to make a habit.

jb 05-11-2004 10:03 AM

glad all are OK...Its amazing how fast speculation is given...and facts take a much longer time. No one ever speculates the true accident...only the error...must be pessimists

mr_velocity 05-11-2004 10:37 AM

Re: Re: Quit Speculating

Originally posted by SummerObsession
38Fountain:
Easy there, bud. My comment was made on the "facts" or "speculations" of what happened BEFORE any real truths came out. If the accident would have happened as described, then I don't what you would call someone turning ANY boat, stepped or not, abruptly at the speeds indicated above BUT driver error.

I'm glad everyone is OK, and also glad this was a real unavoidable accident instead of inexperience or ego.:D

Driver error, maybe in your world? I routinely have to turn my boat abruptly at high speeds, come boat the lower Hudson River, East River, Raritan/Sandy Hook Bay area or just about any waters in Nothern NJ/ Southern NY. There is so much crap in the water and most of it you don't see until it's too late to either hit it or turn abruptly. If a boat can't handle those manuevers then it's simply a bad design.

SkiDoc 05-11-2004 10:39 AM

I'm glad no one got hurt. I've been boating on Cumberland Lake all my life and it is my favorite place on Earth. Every lake has it's natural dangers, i.e. depth, etc.... Drift has and always will be a very dangerous part of boating on Lake Cumberland. I have spent countless hours weaving my way through drift. And I can't tell you how many things I have hit while giving full attention. It will happen if you boat in the Spring on Lake Cumberland. I am just very lucky this has never happened to me!
We have a house near Mill Spings and have had several Bass Fisherman swim to the bank and up to our house after hitting drift and sinking their boats. It is amazing on the lake during night bass tournaments the speed these guys cruise the lake. They are cranking 60 mph. at night with a lake they know is full of debris.
I am never perfectly comfortable running on Cumberland. When I make speed runs I usually pick a spot run down and check for debris and double back following my path on the way back.
Last year one of my good friends with a 25' Outlaw hit something going 40-50 near burnside. It completely removed his stern drive save the hyd. lines. His boat almost sank and it cost him a bundle to fix. This is a guy who is very careful and has years of boating experience on the lake. He never saw anything!
The message here is be very careful on Cumberland to minimize the risks you incur and realize that accidents can happen to the best most experienced drivers. I would never miss Memorial Day at Cumberand but I usually try just to work out my stereo and swim a lot! I would like to meet you Half Fast and others. I used to have a ProCharged Eliminator Eagle, which I just sold and bought a 27 Daytona with twins. Where do you hang out? I think I might have seen Half Fasts rig in tow, but never on the lake. Eric

SummerObsession 05-11-2004 03:00 PM

Originally posted by Clay Washington
More...

According to people who saw the race they estimate that the boat was traveling more than 85 mph. The boat is question is a Nordic 35 Flame. The 35 Flame incorporates a twin-stepped hull design.

For those of you who are not familiar with performance boats the "steps" that modern performance boats have incorporated in hulls of their boat are put there by manufactures in order to trap air under the hull and reduce friction.

Now these steps have been a great advancement in performance boating in that they allow boats of similar size and horse power travel at speeds much greater than their counterparts of a few years ago. However, there is a downside. The air trapped under the hull that allows them to travel 7 to 8 mph faster in a straight line makes them inherenlty unstable in turns.

Now what happens is that if you turn these stepped boats too sharply at high speed the center of gravity switches from the front to the rear. So instead of the boat turning and traveling in the direction that the nose is pointing, the trapped air under the hull causes the the boat to break is grip with the water and continue in the same direction, but rear-first. So now the boat is still traveling at a high rate of speed but backwards. At some point the Swim platform digs in and they come to a sudden stop and incur heavy damage to the rear of the boat - often flipping and ejecting the occupants into the drink.

It sounds to me that boat simply became unstable when he turned to avoid the log and he spun it. It either swamped when traveling backwards or the damage to the rear allowed it to take on water.

OK, this is what my reply was based on.
As I said before, it was not a personal attack on the owner, just an observation of what has happened MANY times before.
I am also BY NO MEANS ANY KIND OF "EXPERT". Never have claimed as much.
Remember the guy who was "allegedly" spinning out his new 42 Fountain for fun? It broke.
The first post said it was a "high speed turn".

Plus, there has been so mcuh garbage posted lately about steps on boats, it kind of hit me wrong blaming the boat.

Mr. velocity: In my world? :rolleyes: No, actually my boat behaves as well or better than anyone elses boat. I, too, have made turns to avoid objects while at relatively high speed. That's not how this accident was INITIALLY described.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING to me is that everyone is OK!!
Mike: I hope your wife recovers soon, and I hope you get back on the lake and enjoy boating!!

If I was out of line with speculation, I apologize, it wasn't meant to be a personal thing at all!:)

39 Unlimited 05-11-2004 06:32 PM

Summer Obsession, Mike P. is a very good friend of mine and wanted me to reply that he harbors no hard feels toward your comments. From all the BS that was posted in front of you it was a likely conclusion.

cuda 05-11-2004 06:52 PM

Nordic Gary, just curious if they had lifejackets on. Was that part of the devine intervention? Not looking to make any thing of it, just for my own knowledge.

39 Unlimited 05-11-2004 07:08 PM

No vests

cuda 05-11-2004 07:13 PM

Thanks.

Kentz 05-11-2004 07:26 PM

Glad everyone is OK. Those of us who frequent LC know how bad the drift can be in the spring. Unfortunately I have hit more crap in LC than the Ohio River, go figure.