Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Friend of mine was killed yesterday (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/78805-friend-mine-killed-yesterday.html)

sean stinson 05-11-2004 09:17 AM

Sorry to hear about your friend DR....our thoughts and prayers are with all involved.

Sean & Terra

mopower 05-11-2004 09:19 AM

Sorry to hear that DR.:( . I've known a number of people killed on bikes. The absolute worst was a husband and wife I worked with. They were on separate bikes , on a two lane country road. They came over a rise with the wife in the lead.....just as somebody was making a left in front of them:eek: Angel broadsided the car and flew 50' in the air. Rich avoided it but had to witness the whole affair. WOW it's bringing tears to my eyes just telling the story again. This really was nobodys fault , just a poor intersection:mad:
Rich did gone to raise their two children himself;)
It really burns me to see some bikers take the chances they do on the highways , including cutting between cars and passing cars on the line between lanes. They're looking for a tradgety to happen and possibly ruin someone elses life too:hothead:

GLH 05-11-2004 09:22 AM

Fault is not the issue, the consequence are.

open87 05-11-2004 09:30 AM

:( :( :(

jtmiller02 05-11-2004 09:31 AM

Originally posted by JROMY
A year and a half ago, I was driving on a road I'd driven a hundred times before and I saw a Pontiac Sunfire stop at an intersection. The driver literally made eye contact with me (something I always looked for on the bike), waited until I was nearly on top of her, and floored it out in front of my 2500 Chevy. The girl was airlifted out and luckily lived, but my truck was totalled. I can't imagine the shape I would have been in if I'd been on the bike. This was one of those cases, where no matter how much you think you can be aware and cautious, the times come when there is virtually nothing you can do.
I was in a very similar situation where I sold my bike (Honda CBR600) and bought a new truck, only a week later I got t-boned by some idiot who wasn't paying attention. Selling the bike saved my life, I would have been on it that day, no doubt in my mind.

I no longer have the option to ride a bike because of that person...and i miss it, but i'm pretty happy to be here still.

hp500efi 05-11-2004 09:31 AM

Mike, sorry to hear the news about your friend :( :(

I agree that road bikers need to be extra careful.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why so many Harley riders hug the center lane stripe thus exposing the bike BEYOND the center lane. It only takes the bike to hit someones side mirror and there is another accident or fatality.

wannabe 05-11-2004 09:38 AM

Docker

I am sorry to hear about your friend.

I had a motorcycle as a "toy" years ago; it was incidents just like this one scared me into selling it.

It is always the driver that doesn't see you to watch out for.

I hope he had good life insurance, especially having kids.

If you set up a fund for the family let us know.

Wannabe

Milord 05-11-2004 10:01 AM

DR, so sorry to hear man, my thoughts and prayers are with everyone.

Downtown42 05-11-2004 10:23 AM

Originally posted by hp500efi
Mike, sorry to hear the news about your friend :( :(

I agree that road bikers need to be extra careful.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why so many Harley riders hug the center lane stripe thus exposing the bike BEYOND the center lane. It only takes the bike to hit someones side mirror and there is another accident or fatality.

The reason I hug the centerline is so that on-coming traffic can see the bike behind the car you are following. Running 3 headlights gives more exposure.

The left mirror should not cross the centerline. I see that also too often.

Ms PatriYacht 05-11-2004 11:01 AM

Dock sorry to hear about your friend, my thoughts are with their family. Ian was driving in that area at about that time yesterday to bad he did not see anything. I hope they find the person, sounds like they have some good info.