Big and Heavy (hitch) Balls

Notices

Big and Heavy (hitch) Balls

Old 05-11-2004, 05:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brian-
It's the only way to go.....bar none.
I can turn the Myco 90 degrees if I want to without the chain issue as stated in an above post.
I pull it with a F-250 V-10-
35' Sonic
35' Myco with tandum axle (12,000lbs)

I would post some pics but the boat/trailer is about 30 miles from me at the marina.

Just as Brian stated, I did alot of price checking and hitchfinders.com had the best deal for me.

HUGE difference in towing with the weight distributing hitch, and now it's legal towing
Old 05-11-2004, 06:32 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

Bill and everyone, thanks for the well-wishes.

etrailer.com is OOS on the 14K ball. They expect more next week.

Hitchfinder.com had 1 left; and I bought it. They also expect more next week, and I will get another for you BobbyB.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 05-11-2004 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:34 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Buddy had one on his jeep cherokee towing over it's rating. At a steep ramp, it would actually lift the rear wheels of the jeep off the ground as the boat decended the hill (with the jeep still on the top of the crest). Kinda funny to watch. Had to use 4 wheel drive or unhook the whole thing to get into the water. Had to unhook it to get out though.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 35 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks Brian.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:33 PM
Registered

i HAVE BEEN USING WEIGHT DIST. SET UPS FOR THREE YEARS NOW, AND i LOVE THEM. THEY GET RID OF THE BACK END BOUNCIES. i WAS READiNG A POST LAST WEEK ON PEOPLES TRAILERS COMING OFF THEIR BALLS WITH NO EXPLANATION. That thread got me wondering if an older trailer with a worn out coupler would come off with a weight dist. hitch? When you jack up the trailer when tightening the chains, it it putting all the presure on the bottom of the coupler and ball, right? If that gets all wallowed out over the years, whats the chances of the coupler popping off the ball?
Sorry for the first couple lines, The caps lock was down.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have in stock 2 5/16 x 1 1/4 shank 10,000lb crome
and can get the 14,000 lb but can only be used with the Drawtite Titan system. The Titan system is a 2 1/2 square system. It's rated for up to 12,000 lb weight-carrying and 14,000 weight distribution system. Also the weight dist syste puts a LOT of strain on the surge brake coupler.

There is NO hitch system with a 2" bar rated for more than 10,000 lbs, after that is the 2 1/2" bar that is rated for 12,000 lbs weight carrying.

BE CAREFULL WITH WHAT YOU HAVE!!!!

Go to www.Draw-tite.com and read the info about surge brakes and weight-dist systems.
They have a note that it is NOT recomended.
I sell Draw-tite products, also.

Last edited by scottc; 05-11-2004 at 10:04 PM.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:57 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, your avitar kinda looks like........

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 12-02-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:57 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

ScottC,
Thanks for the insight. PM me a # for you when you get a chance please.

I ordered a full WD hitch, with the adapter for my trailer. Only problem is if the boat is 12K lbs, a 10K lbs ball is not going to cut it. According to the shaft specs, it will fit the hole/WD hitch bracket that I bought. I should have it all in a couple days. A ball is a ball in my understanding.

My main thing is being legal. The Avalanche 2500 is rated for 12,500 lbs on a WD hitch. Even if I upgraded to a a Titan-V Reese, is that really going to legally raise the tow rating of my truck to a 12K+ lbs Weight Carrying capacity? I dunno. I suspect no one knows, until an insurance company refuses to pay a claim. People are pulling loads over 12,500 lbs with just the factory Class-III W/C hitch. I am not too afraid of the hitch ripping off the truck as such.

Perhaps you can tell me... Will the Reese Titan-V 2002 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 hitch fit my 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 2500? They are the same EXACT frame. I just dunno if the bumper config will interfere.

I read all the notes about Surge Brakes. They are saying you can't use Anti-Sway-Control bars with Surge Brakes. I am not going to have a Anti-Sway-Control hitch; just WD. I know I would be apt to having sway problems with a short wheelbase vehicle and/or a lot of weight behind the rear wheels of my trailer, i.e. camper or car trailer. Anyhow, the longest two tows we will be using BobbyB's dually anyhow... bringing it home from LOTO, and taking it to FL this winter.

A truck upgrade is in the planning stages. We shall see.
Anyone know a single hot chic with a Dually? Send pics of Dually.

US1Fountain, you are correct. I am buying that boat.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 05-12-2004 at 12:06 AM.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:48 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Sydwayz

Perhaps you can tell me... Will the Reese Titan-V 2002 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 hitch fit my 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 2500? They are the same EXACT frame. I just dunno if the bumper config will interfere.

Yes They are interchangable

Titan #45103
Ultra Fram #41925
Old 05-12-2004, 02:29 PM
Registered

Thanks for clarifiying that Brian-

Hey Scott C don't scare anyone off the WD hitch with surge brakes. You are INCORRECT about Reese not recommending them with surge brakes. Read the print- not recommend anti-sway bars, not the WD hitch.
The chains on the WD hitch allow movement for the surge coupler- so no strain on the coupler.
I thought the same until I contacted Draw-tite directly and they clarified this for me before my purchase.
It does put stain on the ball and shank I think- I had to retighten the ball on the reciever and use loctite to keep it on eventhough I have a loc washer under the nut.
It's the only way to go if you tow over 10K.

Last edited by Thunder32; 05-12-2004 at 02:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Big and Heavy (hitch) Balls

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.