Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   anybody one here buy timber? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/78888-anybody-one-here-buy-timber.html)

hugetime1 05-11-2004 10:11 PM

anybody one here buy timber?

What would 50 acres of hard wood be worth.

Reed Jensen 05-12-2004 12:47 AM

Oak? Maple? Beech? Birch? Walnut? Ash? Poplar? Alder? Hemlock?... actually the last three are soft.... :D I don't know... but it can be worth lots if it is accessible.

Strip Poker 388 05-12-2004 12:52 AM

The mills here arnt even taking soft wood ,Not sure on the Hard.

Got Wood might be a good name for the Hustler since I am in the Furniture buisness,. What ya think????

Rob

jtmiller02 05-12-2004 01:58 AM

what part of the furniture biz? my folks used to be in that biz. Dad was the VP of maitland smith if u are familiar with that stuff. Got all kinds of drexel, maitland, lexington, lineage, all that good stuff....lots has changed over the past few years tho.

Cord 05-12-2004 07:43 AM

There are arborists out there that can help you for a fee. They'll survey the lot and come up with a plan on how to best manage the parcel. You can now get competative bids from some different logging companies.

Strip Poker 388 05-12-2004 08:02 AM

Originally posted by jtmiller02
what part of the furniture biz? my folks used to be in that biz. Dad was the VP of maitland smith if u are familiar with that stuff. Got all kinds of drexel, maitland, lexington, lineage, all that good stuff....lots has changed over the past few years tho.
We have a retail credit store in the medium end price range.I am third generation.Its fun when you do your on financing try to collect it your self . Times are tuff in the finance business .We have been thru worse.

The just added a gas surcharge to our garbage pickup.One of our main suppliers Ashly charges 14% freight.

i had a buddy in the logging business said a lot of lumber was coming out of Canada killing the business here.Something about they Canada did not have a import tariff last year.There goes all your US jobs

clearcut3 05-12-2004 08:04 AM

hugetime1

I was a procurement forester for 6 years for Stone Container corporation and owned my own business as a wood dealer. I have changed since then to the machinery side but still understand the business very well.

The question of how much it is worth is a loaded one because it depends on major factors such as: market condition, distance to market, volume per acre. and species.

I would be more then happy to give you some advice on the best way to market and sell timber if you would like, just PM me and I will send you my phone numbers for you to call at your convenience.

I helped a friend of mine sell some recently and he got almost twice as much as what he was originally offered.

Good luck!

JUSTONCE 05-12-2004 08:52 AM

Well for Oak, if you know someone with a sawmill that will ruff cut it into 3/4" boards, Unplained but clean(free of knots) about $1.40-$2.00 per lineal foot. one 60-80foot Oak will bring about 25 12' boards.@ $10.00 a section to mill, your looking at $330.00 profit per tree. depending on how you have the wood milled. This is taking into consideration that you fall the trees yourself and transport to the mill.As said before there are alot of factors these #'s are just for a local market.

WRedmann 05-12-2004 08:58 AM

you need to talk to loggers in your area. Too many variables to consider for anyone to give you a valuable answer via the internet.