Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Watch out for Floating debris! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/79239-watch-out-floating-debris.html)

KNOT-RIGHT 05-17-2004 10:19 AM

Watch out for Floating debris!

1 Attachment(s)
Coming back from a very good trial run this weekend in the
Narragansett RI bay. It was 90 degrees and beautiful weather
We were having a great day until we had a collision course with a
floating Log. It was just beneath the surface. Luckily the collision
occurred at relatively low speed. 45MpH no injuries but massive drive
Destruction. See Image.

A article in the Providence journal stated due to the extreme
cold and frozen docks to watch for floating debre.

Anyone with used parts available for these Drives Arneson 1600
series please contact me.
Gerry
401-255-5242

Downtown42 05-17-2004 10:43 AM

Re: Watch out for Floating debris!

damn...lot's of debris up north in spring...

dreamer 05-17-2004 10:44 AM

been there done that

it sucks!!!!

Iggy 05-17-2004 11:07 AM

I used to sit on the bow of my dads 36' ChrisCraft watching for debris as we went through New York Harbor, East River, and Long Island Sound.

RollWithIt 05-17-2004 11:13 AM

Buddy of mine hit a 2x4 framed piece of plywood one night. The wooden structure was floating level with the river and he never even saw it. It got wedged between the transom and his outdrive and by doing so, pulled the entire outdrive away from the transom. Boat started taking on water. Fast. Got back to the marina, got his trailer from home and got the boat out in time. It was sitting about 6 inches lower in the water by that time, with both bilge pumps running non stop.

The funny part is, when he left to get the trailer, his girlfriend showed up and went to sleep on his boat in the cuddy. He found her there when he got back. She never realized the boat was sinking.

Downtown42 05-17-2004 05:06 PM

Just at a friends house on the lake and he saw a big chunk of pier bobbing up and down in the water yesterday...

mopower 05-17-2004 05:14 PM

I hit something last Thursday coming off plane (bow in the air). Jammed wood in the LWP. Got that out but still have low water pressure and high temps. My bet is there is a piece lodged in the hose thru the transom assy. I guess It's not as bad as your "strike" , but I had one like that 2 years and $1600 ago :rolleyes:

JC 05-17-2004 06:02 PM

I pulled a log to shore once on the mississippi and the DNR asked me what I was doing, he said he could give me a ticket for pulling that log to shore... Does that make any sence at all?

KNOT-RIGHT 05-17-2004 06:59 PM

Seconds after peering off the transom looking down on my
smashed Arneson. I looked up and three to 5 other boats just
missed the log which was approx 6 to 8 feet in lenth. I was trying to warn them. They just waved and kept going completly oblivious to the lurking
Disaster. :argue:

I couldnt help to think That I had to be the one to marry it.
If I had Bravos be assured it would already be fixed.

BARCOASTAL 05-17-2004 07:09 PM

Hudson River... This time of year you'll see everything floating down, telephone poles, plywood, docks, trees etc.. no joke.... serious damage stuff, it's cleans up a bit by mid june , or july...