Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   24' Banana Boat - modifications to rear seat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/79363-24-banana-boat-modifications-rear-seat.html)

SHARKEY-IMAGES 09-18-2004 07:36 PM

Re: 24' Banana Boat - modifications to rear seat

Originally Posted by Air Dog
What is the plan for the SOB's. I hope there is future races planned for newcomer idiots like myself.
Air Dog

That really depends on who is willing to show up and race these next two races. If I don't see enough participation, then I certainly will no longer push it after this year. I am already catching alot of heat from my wife for spending so much time trying to get this off the ground when I myself will not be racing. I am simply doing it for the good of the sport.
This is really the only true entry level class there is. Not P-5. It would be shame not to see it come about...

Chatim Racing 09-19-2004 03:16 PM

Air Dog: Too bad but I understand work comes first. You fly 727's - very cool! I am only three hours away from Orlando (Boca Raton) if you feel like coming down some weekend for a boat ride around south florida etc. then drop me an e-mail...

Corrado: Yes I am planning on getting some sort of pictoral history together for Banana & Coyote soon. I'll start a new post in the next week or so...

Sharkey: The SOB class sounds like a winner - I hope you hang in there and keep it going. Maybe I'll get dad to dust off those old original 24' cigarrette molds in Tampa and we'll make something for next year...?? I am giving it some serious thought.
It's too bad the outboard manufacturers don't step up and help out more. When I used to race cars in IMSA, we used to race in a series that was sponsored by Firestone. Firestone used it as research & development testing for their tires - too bad Mercury or Yamaha etc. don't do the same .... Please let me know if I could do anything to help you grow this series.

Charlie

Air Dog 09-19-2004 07:50 PM

Chatim,

Well I don't fly 727's yet, (knock on teak), but hopefully if training goes well and one of your hurricanes doesn't blow over the sim building, then I will be.

Funny story. Got married this year. Pior to the wedding day you have to meet with the priest. He sits you down and says, "Now is their anything you have to tell eachother? Anything you havent shared yet?" After she said, "Nope I'm good, lets get married", I said, "Ah ya... I got something to tell you". My fiance then turned pale white and stopped breathing. I am sure waiting for me to say, "I have 5 kids that you don't know about, or I slept with your best friend or I'm an alien". I took her hand, looked deep into her eyes and said, "honey, as long as I can remember, I have wanted to be an offshore race boat driver." "I don't care if it's next year or when I am 50, but I will do it."

Quick question, this year is obviously a wash, but if SOB is still a possibility next year, what would it take to do it? A helmet, life jacket and some hull numbers? What if I pull a Jason Priestly and crash into everybody. If you break it you own it? What if I kick so much ass that I have to give up my flying career?

SHARKEY-IMAGES 09-19-2004 08:55 PM

Charlie,

In your neck of the woods, APBA had adopted the rules for the SOB Class.

They offered it in Marathon. Unfortunately no one showed support for the class.
Perhaps you can change that by next year.

What we need is people that take the class seriously.

We had 2 dozen people last winter that all said they were interested in running in the class. Now we're hoping to get at least 5 or more for this race in Md.

I can no longer take anyone's word if they are going to race after alot of BS that happened back in the Spring. I'll believe it when they sign up and show the commitment.

SHARKEY-IMAGES 09-19-2004 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Air Dog
Quick question, this year is obviously a wash, but if SOB is still a possibility next year, what would it take to do it? A helmet, life jacket and some hull numbers?

Yup! That's about it. Except for a second person in the boat and some safety equipment.
Hopefully more people will commit for next season. :drink:

Air Dog 09-20-2004 06:45 AM

Sharky,

What can I do to help with the SOB movement?

Chris

SHARKEY-IMAGES 09-20-2004 02:38 PM

Get people with these type boats signed up for the next racing season if not for this season.

You have the rules. You have many venues. All we need now is the equipment to show up and go racing... ;)

Chatim Racing 09-28-2004 10:18 AM

docoke:

I am sorry to hear about your bad experience. As I said earlier, my father sold the company in the early 80's where they continued to make another 20 or so boats at Port Edgewood in RI. They changed the layup somewhere along the way from the original Cigarette format and in my opinion the quality suffered. It is a shame that they did not stand behind their product when you had delamination problems. I have a 1989 model that is a bit thin in the gelcoat area here and there as well. I think some were made better than others at Port Edgewood - it's just the luck of the draw I guess.
All in all your boat sounds like it moved along quite well (86 on GPS - wow!)- would love to see some pictures if you can post them...

Air Dog 09-30-2004 07:16 PM

Chatim,

Charlie,

Hey pal, I am in Florida. Ground school is grueling. Hoping to catch up with you in the next few weeks.

I never knew that there were only a handful of Banana Boats ever built.

I brought a bunch of poto's of my boat to show you.

Chris

heatbuzz 10-03-2004 08:09 PM

I have a 1989 all white Banana, for sale.Its got a stock merc 200 on it, could use a new trailer. Some fly boy left it in my driveway well he when off to play in Fl. Oh yea it also has new upholstery,and real nice brand new drop out bolster custom made by F1. NO offer refused. Air Dogs Brother,