Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Can you believe this? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/79677-can-you-believe.html)

CigDaze 05-24-2004 09:06 AM

Re: Can you believe this?

Originally Posted by mopower
A guy who launched just ahead of me Saturday asked if I could afford to run my boat :D. So just to fuel the fire I answered "No". Then he proceded to tell me how great on gas his 19' Baywhiner with a 4 cyl. was :(. I didn't say much...just left him ramble :D

LOL...And He's probably towing it with a hybrid. :rolleyes:

Shane 05-24-2004 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by mopower
A guy who launched just ahead of me Saturday asked if I could afford to run my boat :D. So just to fuel the fire I answered "No". Then he proceded to tell me how great on gas his 19' Baywhiner with a 4 cyl. was :(. I didn't say much...just left him ramble :D

And then you should have followed by saying: "Thanks for working so hard to support public assistance. With that money I CAN afford to run it." :argue:

wannabe 05-24-2004 09:26 AM

This really burns me when your lifestyle is criticized.

My wife was at the Doctors in Ann Arbor driving our Yukon XL. The parking lot is way too small, always full and she was manuevering back out to the street after not finding a spot.

Some B*tch in Volvo says" You shoudn't be driving a gas hog"

Wife told her to go "f#$k herself" (she can be pretty direct, one thing i love about her).

Holier than thou people is what my mother refers to them as.

Wannabe

Danny_Ocean 05-24-2004 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by wannabe
Wife told her to go "f#$k herself" (she can be pretty direct, one thing i love about her).

Wow! Does she have a sister? That's my kinda girl!

D. Ocean
Pompano Beach, FLA

Hydrocruiser 05-24-2004 09:05 PM

The IPCC estimate of worldwide known oil reserves/available sources are said to be between 15,000 and 18,000 billion barrels of oil and are supposedly "accessible" in the "world" right now "today" with the right planning and new wells set up etc. it's reality. Who knows how much more in the polar regions and more challenging places on the globe maybe twice as much they think.

The US uses about 3.5 billion barrels a year as of 2001 figures and let's assume on the "high side" we have 20,000 billion barrels left totally and no more.

The US uses about 1/3 of the worlds oil supposedly. So the "world" uses about 12 billion barrels a year.

These are very rough estimates but that would mean the "world" has a probability of having oil at the current usage figures/reserves for 1500 more years. That's the year 3504. Possibly enough to 5004 if we tap everything out. There is an ocean of oil under the ground. The doomsday sayers need help. Oil is a commodity and they use gambits to control price. Remember when we ran out of gasoline in the 70's for 30 cents a gallon but when the price hit a buck a gallon you couldn't pump it fast enough???

Worrying about the world in the year 5004 is like cavemen worrying if they would eat too many figs and not leave enough for their grandkids.

All I want is world peace and a chance to enjoy life; with what we have worked so very hard for since the beginning of time. Is that asking too much?

Yea I feel real guilty tanking up.

Mr Gadgets 05-24-2004 11:01 PM

Hey I am paying for it.. I work hard to go boating.. "P" on them. I got it figured out. I was boating with an old fart way back when and I was just trying to keep up to him in the no wake zone. I didnt know, never been in that water before. Just following the old guy with the experience. Well the guy on shore was a cop telling us to slow down.. I did, but he didnt.. later he said the guy was just jealous of his boat. I said yeah.. sure. So all the tree huggers can go do what Wannabe's lovely wife told that unamerican driving the foreign car to do.. How did she put it?? :) They're just jealous that they cant pump gas like we can when it comes to filling a big ole boat gas tank.
I cant wait till 5004 to see what happens when we run out of oil..
I was in a class with a bunch of older guys giving a young guy some greif about being young and dumb.. he said "thats ok.. I'm going watch all you old guys die one at a time".. I had to laugh.. he is right.

Dick

hugetime1 05-25-2004 08:22 AM

you know in other businesses, when a company sells alot of something they can make there money in volume, not on the indavidual unit, so maybe if it wern't for us boaters, gas would be 4 dollars per gallon because there would be so much less fuel sold. just a thought, but what do I know.

Clay Washington 05-25-2004 03:43 PM

The smarter you are, the more stupid people you have to put up with! :(

Danny_Ocean 05-25-2004 03:49 PM

http://www.corvetteforum.com/images/iamwithstupid.gif

Hydrocruiser 05-25-2004 06:54 PM

Now I just tell the occasional person offended by my large boat gas tank to appreciate the contribution us boaters who fill up on land make by paying road excise taxes built into every gallon that go to-wards fixing YOUR roads we don't consume our fuel on!