Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Been slow here.Whats your favorite race venue to attend as a spectator? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/80292-been-slow-here-whats-your-favorite-race-venue-attend-spectator.html)

JnT 05-31-2004 09:19 PM

Been slow here.Whats your favorite race venue to attend as a spectator?

I liked Biloxi and Tammy likes Orange Beach.

cuda 05-31-2004 09:24 PM

Re: Been slow here.Whats your favourite race venue to attend as a spectator?

1 Daytona
2 Marathon
3 St Pete

Downtown42 05-31-2004 09:29 PM

Re: Been slow here.Whats your favorite race venue to attend as a spectator?

Milwaukee, its close!!

F1-00 Racing 05-31-2004 09:57 PM

1 Orange Beach, Ala
2 Pt Pleasant, NJ
3 Marathon, FL (when the bridge was open for viewing)

I have a different perpective than as a "spectator" but the top 2 the whole town basically stops everything and thinks racing. They are where I feel the general public had the most access to the teams and the course layout makes it fan friendly. They are a complete package, from the pits to the actual race. Sarasota is also an awesome place in the pits, but when I went as a spectator last year over to Siesta Key, I was only able to see about 30 seconds of the boats as they passed by on a 13 mile course. As far as race viewing, when the bridge was open and hopefully it will reopen very soon, Marathon is incredible when you can see the whole course and see the boats come thru the bridge. What a rush!

Every race site has its pluses and minuses, but you really cant compare to the top 2 in my list. You are guaranteed to have a great time whether you are a racer or a spectator.

Trent

Strip Poker 388 06-01-2004 12:21 AM

Biloxi and Orange Beach .But they should of kept New Orleans race .

SHARKEY-IMAGES 06-01-2004 06:17 AM

In the '80s it was Point Pleasant.

Best overall, I would have to say Key West!!!

Joe Todesca 06-01-2004 07:55 AM

From a spectator point of view! San Diego Ca. Jo

audacity 06-01-2004 08:03 AM

the cheese head state! ...aside from key west that is.

Formula Outlaw 06-01-2004 08:05 AM

Trent, the 4th of July Race is the 13 mile course you are speaking of. The second race, the Sarasota Offshore Showdown,August 28/29, cuts the course in half and only runs in front of Siesta Key. Also, The SOS does not allow spectator boats between the beach and the race course which allows the boats to run MUCH closer to the beach. It seemed as though you could reach out and touch them. At all times the boats are in view. From a spectator's perspective, I've been told over three hundred times it was the best race ever viewed in Sarasota.

Ron P 06-01-2004 08:53 AM

Key West - cause it's Key West and the full speed run through the harbor is thrilling.
Marathon - cause it's in the Keys and the viewing is great.
Cambridge - MD - cause the small town of Cambridge is very hospitable and the Hyatt is a fantastic all inclusive race site.