Another stepped hull goes dancing

Notices

Another stepped hull goes dancing

Old 06-01-2004, 06:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Another stepped hull goes dancing

Originally Posted by ActiveThunder
Shane, how've you been? Yeah, everything is good. Except, you are right, my only problem IS calling a spade a spade! When you are coming south make sure you call me.
Pat.

I know the feeling well Pat. I will be certain to contact you as well. Please do the same if you ever head north.

Regards,

Shane
Old 06-01-2004, 06:45 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They say don't discuss religion and poiltics. I think steps and synthetic oil are also on the list. Just kidding.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Shane
Joey,

With all due respect, I remember this "old style" "inefficient" bottom beating your "new style" "better" bottom on a fairly regular basis. Then, at this years race in St. Cloud you offered to "instruct" this very same operator for a nominal fee, until you found out that he beat you on a fairly regular basis. hmmmmmmmm
May not be a fair comparison though because the guy that throttled that boat was in a league way beyond factory 2!!
Attached Thumbnails Another stepped hull goes dancing-bk1air.jpg  

Last edited by d-hlaw; 06-01-2004 at 06:54 PM.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Well we have a love/hate affair here folks. Are steps on a cat more predictable? I don't hear much about that with cat owners.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 06-01-2004 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:17 PM
Registered

Quite simply, I never push anything to the limit or even try to get close, I like power for acceleration and a little for speed but in my 35 solid years of boating I have never tried a power slide or a power turn unless I was on a jet ski, because that is what can happen to a boat and I can control a jet ski. It is a matter of common sense and no form of hull, power or design can stop someone from not using common sense. Stupid is as stupid does.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:18 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Shane
On the back of a Sutphen Race Boat in the late 90's...

"NO STEPS, NO PADS, NO BEAK, O BULL!!!!!!"
They run a "graduated 26 degree hull" not quite as deep as others?
Old 06-01-2004, 07:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by d-hlaw
May not be a fair comparison though because the guy that throttled that boat was in a league way beyond factory 2!!

You BET BRETT! I drove for him and he is as good as they come. I know few if any that have more pride in what they do and are more humble than BK! Humility is a trait that few have and more should!
Old 06-01-2004, 08:07 PM
Registered

This is not the first time T2x has had this same discussion. I think his research is valid for smaller boats. I asked him in a previous thread to produce the Reynolds numbers that proved his theories. He never produced them because he has nothing but empirical data on small boats.

I think he is right, if there is no boat in the water, it will have less drag.....WOW the guy is a rocket scientist. Those boats will not go around corners at those speeds in those attitudes....they have to slow down otherwise they would swap ends just like every boat when pushed beyond their limits.

So T2x, why don't you stop telling us all about your little boats and how steps didn't help. Hydrodynamics are not scalable as the coefficients are not linear. You cannot draw conclusions from a 20' boat to a 38' boat unless you understand the scaling functions and make the necessary adjustments. If you produce the data you accumulated on both the 20' and the 38' boat to develop that scaling function...I'll take it back and apologize.

Stop ragging on the steps and start asking people to take personal responsibility for their actions.

Last edited by h2owarrior; 06-01-2004 at 08:11 PM.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by KLAATU
I Beg to differ h20! If you want a stable 48ft hull . Double up a 24 ft bat boat .LOL ( you would have to drive a bat to get it . sorry)
I have never driven one.....I have watched them.....but never driven one
Old 06-01-2004, 09:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Wink Re: Another stepped hull goes dancing

http://www.efunda.com/formulae/fluids/calc_reynolds.cfm

Back in my school days when we went through a gizzilion formulas in physics I always remember Reynold's numbers to equate to flow through a "pipe" or flow within the confines of a conduit. How does this relate to steps and boating? The above site has an interactive calculator I can't even figure what variables relate to boats. Unless you are boating in a sewer where water flow is confined and can be measured what's the point? Then the flow of water in the sewer would be critical as turbulent or laminar. Also, Reynolds looks at the viscosity of the solution. So if you are in a sewer with laminar flow and a viscosity of say regular water then we can get to work on making a point or two. I aint taking my boat in a sewer to prove a point though.

Additionally, I was at a performance boat company 2 years ago on a "tour" and in their "secret room" where I had to use the bathroom at, saw a stepped boat with a V-drive setup. I am sure they were just playing around. I always wondered what they were up to.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 06-01-2004 at 09:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Another stepped hull goes dancing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.