Another stepped hull goes dancing

Old 06-02-2004, 04:44 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: Another stepped hull goes dancing

Originally Posted by dockrocker
Troutly, don't you know that boats *never* crashed before the stepped hull was invented by Reggie Fountain in 1864? Get with the program!

Sigh!

The point is that stepped hulls spin out MORE than non stepped..... not that non stepped hulls never do. So....... if you conciously purchase something with a slippery butt....who is the fool? But ...if you already own a stepped hull...what can you do but defend your decision?....and make self serving statements about how the "other guy" pushes too hard.... but that aint a Sutphen in the trees.... and that Customs guy wasn't talking about Velocities.

T2x
Old 06-02-2004, 04:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait till one goes out of control and ends up killing someone with some deep pockets, or ends up in a backyard full of kids at a lake house. Wait till an attorney finds this website, the product liability these manufacturers will face will wipe most of them out.
Almost all performance boats are built by small companies selling 1/4 million dollar toys.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:48 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

If loving you is wrong ...... then I don't want to be right
Attached Thumbnails Another stepped hull goes dancing-9.jpg   Another stepped hull goes dancing-img_0442-small.jpg   Another stepped hull goes dancing-img_0417-small-.jpg  

Old 06-02-2004, 04:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by boot
I have been in JET SET , 40' Skater making "HAIRPIN - U turns " starting and 130 mph and throttling through it !! Ask RonP ! Feels like 5 G's !!
Sorry, that's stupid. Fun till the worst sneaks up on you.

Why would you have to do that except to show off?

wow......................... I'm not impressed.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:55 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Troutly
Yeah, so?? Just about every professional race car driver who has any seat time on the track has spun/crashed a race car. They are driving the car on the edge, just as a race boat driver does. Seems racers were crashing your beloved straight v's back in the stone age, too...

Take anything, push it to the edge, and things will happen.
My comment was in response to an erroneous statement that top drivers didn't spin stepped hulls out.....please take quotes in context...... after all you are a policeman...and know what I'm talking about.

When I raced boats and there were handling issues...I did EXACTLY what race drivers always do..... changed the setup or replaced the offending piece of equipment. Sadly..... that requires a lot of bondo..... when you have caverns chopped out of your planing surface.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:59 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
I would imagine stepped boats can be made safer.
True............ edge traps on the strakes.......or skid fins.........but that would be an ipso facto admission of a flaw that needed correction ..so don't hold your breath waiting for any manufacturer to do it.

T2x
Old 06-02-2004, 05:05 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Airpacker
On the other hand, John Q Moneybags CAN drop the green for a Ferrari Enzo or a twin turbo Porsche and survive, maybe because the vehicle is inherently safer by design?
Bingo...... inherently safer because those cars don't have oil outlet valves in front of the rear tires that open wider as you turn tighter..... That and the fact that most streets and highways are too crowded and controlled to run 200+ mph.

T2x.......... allergic to needless carnage
Old 06-02-2004, 05:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by T2x
My comment was in response to an erroneous statement that top drivers didn't spin stepped hulls out.....please take quotes in context...... after all you are a policeman...and know what I'm talking about.

When I raced boats and there were handling issues...I did EXACTLY what race drivers always do..... changed the setup or replaced the offending piece of equipment. Sadly..... that requires a lot of bondo..... when you have caverns chopped out of your planing surface.
Put it into the correct context yourself Rich.....do you ever get tired of hearing yourself talk???? I know I do.......the statement in question was concerning guys outside of racing....the worlds best racers have spun conventional hulls also.....
Old 06-02-2004, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

t2x
i am really curious,
what is your answer to this??????
instead of beating a dead horse what is solution??
Old 06-02-2004, 05:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anything can be crashed!!
i am going to go out and kite my zodiac with the mighty nissan 5hp now.. i bet i could if i tried hard enough,,

Quick Reply: Another stepped hull goes dancing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.