Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Another stepped hull goes dancing (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/80337-another-stepped-hull-goes-dancing.html)

T2x 06-01-2004 04:15 PM

Re: Another stepped hull goes dancing

Originally Posted by audacity
"What I don't understand is why people continue to turn them so hard. I can see in a racing situation it being necesarry, but in pleasure boating??? I don't remember any hairpin turns on any poker run I've been on."....EXACTLY,,,,your a jack ass if your out there pushing that hard with others in the boat!...o wait, you too can be a jack ass if you have a conventional hull...well,,,, a safe jack ass that is!

Interesting point...... But when people buy a performance car...like a Porsche, they expect it to "handle" (turn)......well. Racers go around race courses (increasingly tighter courses)...and Sam Average thinks he can turn something that he just dropped a cool quarter million in.

Call me stupid , but I believe......If you can't turn them....... don't sell them, rather than blaming every poor unfortunate putz who ends up a** over tea kettle with "no warning".

T2x

T2x 06-01-2004 04:16 PM

i have very little to do with DONZI these days!

Really?....... Did they ever find the skeg?

T2x :p

spitfire1 06-01-2004 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by T2x
I started on this forum when a young lady was put into intensive care after a guy who had invited her and some friends out for a Sunday joy ride......barrel rolled his OL while demonstrating his "cajones". All she was armed with to protect her was some suntan lotion...... and no one ever told him..... be careful...your stepped hull might let you down when SHE needs it most.

T2x........ remembering how hypnotizing Der Fuhrer was to the masses.

So who was at fault here Rich???? Outer limits because this guy was operating out of the envelope????? This is exactly the type of **** that really chaffs my a$$.....No ...dont take responsibility for operating said machinery in an unsafe manner......Gee.....I didnt know coffee is hot and shouldnt be placed between my knees while driving......give me a break........

T2x 06-01-2004 04:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)

please keep posting NON offshore boats overtrimed going straight and smooth water...is this not OSO???

How's this?

BLee 06-01-2004 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by T2x
Really?....... Did they ever find the skeg?

T2x :p

Didn't you burn the mold/plug to the worlds perfect boat? The illusive Shadow Cat?

Hydrocruiser 06-01-2004 04:21 PM

The key is drives don't have to be trimmed up as much, don't trim drive in to make turns, and don't chop/reduce power in turn. The length of hull after the step no longer provides much "bite" on the water. Oh, I never take anyone out with me when I am "pusing the envelope" they can watch from shore. It's my "cajones" then, not somebody elses!

audacity 06-01-2004 04:21 PM

hummm...so,,,more people get killed in mustangs than any other car....should we stop making them??? hummm why is that??? because they are cheap...tons of parents buy 'em for their dumb ass kids...is it the car...or is it the DEMOGRAPHIC!!!...insurance says the later and they charge accordingly...last time i checked it was cheaper to insure a new vet than a stang.

T2x 06-01-2004 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Spitfire1
So who was at fault here Rich???? Outer limits because this guy was operating out of the envelope????? This is exactly the type of **** that really chaffs my a$$.....No ...dont take responsibility for operating said machinery in an unsafe manner......Gee.....I didnt know coffee is hot and shouldnt be placed between my knees while driving......give me a break........

I figure....if you have a "quirk" in your design....you correct it. If you have a legitimate piece of driver error...... (drunk, inexperienced, etc) then the operator should take responsibility. If you compromise even a little bit of safety for alleged "improvements"...... you have a situation that will lead to the by gosh U.S. Guvmint.....taking away all of our rights to enjoy speed on the water safely..... and that ticks me off.

So if putting steps on hulls requires "special" training....for , in most cases, the untrainable...... get rid of the steps. Especially when true speed can be attained in a number of more rational ways.....

T2x

GLH 06-01-2004 04:28 PM

Cool I like it when T2x's hair stand up.

Hydrocruiser 06-01-2004 04:28 PM

The length of hull after the step no longer provides much "bite" on the water.

I am repeating this because this is the crux of the issue with steps and turns. Ya have to develop a feel for this over time.