Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Anyone think advertising on Race Boats doesn't work? >

Anyone think advertising on Race Boats doesn't work?

Notices

Anyone think advertising on Race Boats doesn't work?

Old 06-01-2004, 09:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Anyone think advertising on Race Boats doesn't work?

I would certainly support any sponsor of offshore powerboat racing. One sanctioning body needs to follow the steps that NASCAR took and perhaps this sport can be successful again. I would love to see it.

Roby
Old 06-01-2004, 09:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Allan you are correct NASCAR is by far the most successful motorsports sanctioning body by far. Even when they do something I don't like (new points system) I learn to live with it and like it. Well I think that is what needs to happen in the offshore motorsports world. You can have both stadium style (as Tres mentioned) and a couple of sites where you will go offshore in the rough. Changing it up is what makes it worth watching.

Roby
Old 06-01-2004, 11:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone. Boy did you guys just make me think twice, maybe even too many times.... We are...., were.... and now not sure.... going to move forward on sponsorships with race teams for our new business. Where do you guys find the most exposure of the products you use or consume? Poker Runs? Magazines? Race Boats? As a business owner, you have to spend advertising dollars no matter what and be creative in your marketing efforts. So where do you guys think is the best place(s)?
Old 06-02-2004, 04:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by T2x
Nesquik and Popeye's....... The breakfast of champions.

T2x
Almost as good as BBQ chips with grape Nehi
Old 06-02-2004, 09:07 PM
Allan4

Hi Danny D,

I have never really read any demographic numbers that involve Poker runs vs Offshore Racing vs Mags when is comes to the offshore boating crowd, etc. I really could not say with any hard data #'s which would do what, but I think I have an idea....I could be wrong, but here is my thought.

NASCAR demographics are very consistent among most racing series, just the crowd size and fan base size is always less in other series. Include Offshore racing in that grouping, seeing as it is a major motorsports event. Plus, industry research companies such as Joyce Julius & Assoc and Performance Research, INC have tons of data that show how out of all sporting events, motorsports provides the best promotional value.

Magazines will have demographics numbers, so that is easy...basically most measurements go by advertsing cost per 1000...or...how many advertising dollars are spent per 1000 people reached. Any reputable Mag shoud have this info on hand for you. Plus, you will have a pretty certain idea of how many people you are reaching and your advert cost per 1000 will be pretty simple to calculate. Plus who, what age, what sex, what location, what income level, education level, home owner or renter, how many cars etc....

Races and Poker Runs will be harder to determine the advert cost per 1000, I have never come accross that info...but keep in mind the relative consistency displayed in most all forms of racing whne it comes to demographics. I would look for someone who provides a "package" for you, not just decals on the boats. Look for web exposure, t-shirts, press releases, appearances, merchandising, TV, radio etc...all of these things help make a complete package. Look for someone who will push your product and ask how they will...i.e. magazine or newspaper articles on the race team, etc. Look for someone you trust and someone who has a good rep. I think that Offshore Racing is a great place to spend advertsing dollars, as long as you get a fair deal and the race team carries their end of the bargain. Poker Runs are growing like wildfire and provide a unique platform as well and can probably be had relatively inexpensively, all things considering. Keep in mind though, you are targeting 2 different markets here...Poker RUns are almost all Boat owners and spouses and friends while Offshore Racing hits the more "traditional" fan base...certainly alot of boat owners in that group as well. Poker Runners would probably spend more money than the typical fan base as well. It comes down to what value you get in exchange for your $. I would use Offshore Racing and Poker Runs as more of a Secondary Marketing plan, a supplement to what you are doing now. YOu can find some great motorsports marketing deals right now as the economy has beaten up alot of advertising budgets and alot of racers will offer a discounted package just to have the luxuary of having a "sponsor". In bigtime motorsports especially...it is kinda looked down upon and an embarrassment if you are not sponsored, etc.

A combo of all 3 (races, poker runs, mags) would be super if you were trying to focus on the Offshore crowd, but I know $ can be tight as well.
So, like I said, I certainly do not have all the answers and I am sure there are alot smarter guys on here that could give you great info, but that is my take...sorry it was so wordy, hope it helps

Oh yeah...I looked up the brand loyalty numbers (basically, the % of fans or viewers who "almost always" purchase a sponsors product over a non sponsors product). This is according to the The Boston Globe, Motorsports, Goodyear Annual Avg. attendance report

(I was off a little on my last post, glad I looked it up)
NASCAR 72%
Indy car 68%
Motorsports AVG 64%
Golf 47%
NFL 36%
MLB 38%
Olympics 28%

Other nubmers of interest....30% of the general population has some interest in motorsports, women make up 42% of the NASCAR fan base and attendance at NASCAR events grows an avg of 10% a year.

WAY too much typing here, sorry about that everyone Hope all this jiberish helps someone, it took me forever to type it

Old 06-02-2004, 09:34 PM
Registered

Alan4 - Great feedback! Ya gotta type to get the complete message and it was very thorough. Thank you. We are currently advertising in Powerboat, Hot Boat, Extreme Boats and Trailer Boat magazines. Some are just going to print for July issues. We were a little late on the cut off dates for insertion because of trying to do our homework for the reasons you described above. Also on Offshoreonly.com and commercials with Talkoffshore.com.
Now, we are looking for race teams to sponser for this season and to bring on more distributors to the team. All of these marketing efforts are being spent to ramp up for black ink in 2005. We feel we have a great product but it takes time to get it out there for people to "smell, touch & feel" if you will.
We are now only 5 weeks old in the marine industry and already moving product, setting up distributors and etc. We also found that the boat owner who take part in poker runs, who want to earn dollars to support their boating hobbie, have a huge advantage being a distributor simply because they have a targeted market and already have potentials ready to purchase. Once a customer base is established, they know where to go back for more. Just the benefits of a repeat business.
For dealers, it is nice to have the product on the shelf, but the shelf doesn't talk to you or ad value. Additionally, there aren't that many stores or store fronts that have lots of walk in traffic for this targeted market.
Any more ideas?

Last edited by Danny D; 06-02-2004 at 09:39 PM.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:17 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Documentation -

The main problem with offshore is that there is no "paid gate attendance" and therefore you can't accurately document the fan base. I once had a prospective sponsor ask me "how many of those people on the beach are there for the races, and how many would have been there anyway?" Uh......I don't know.

U.S. Offshore attempted to hold a race on Hilton Head Island way back when. I was excited because the race was to be in Sea Pines, a gated community that would allow true tracking of "those wanting to attend the race". It fizzled out due to a variety of reasons.

Also......how much do you think NASCAR pays each year for brand recognition research and marketing studies? Probably more than any of us can imagine. With the current state of offshore, nobody can afford to hire the firms to conduct accurate analyses.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:51 AM
Registered

Re: Anyone think advertising on Race Boats doesn't work?

Originally Posted by Danny D
Hey everyone. Boy did you guys just make me think twice, maybe even too many times.... We are...., were.... and now not sure.... going to move forward on sponsorships with race teams for our new business. Where do you guys find the most exposure of the products you use or consume? Poker Runs? Magazines? Race Boats? As a business owner, you have to spend advertising dollars no matter what and be creative in your marketing efforts. So where do you guys think is the best place(s)?

Danny....TOLD YA! Race boats AND Poker Runs.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:37 AM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: Anyone think advertising on Race Boats doesn't work?

Hi Kim - Yeah ya did. Thanks!
Old 06-03-2004, 10:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Too Old
Sourpuss.....?

I prefer to call it a realistic overview of the worth of offshore marketing.

But I've been wrong before. But just once.
Don't be too short sighted when it comes to what offshore racing can offer. Advertising is just a very small part of what comes with sponsorship. There is much more value in "corporate entertainment" then just having your names plastered on the side of a boat. Granted this may not fit your business, but we were very successful selling the entertainment. How many thousands of $$$ are spent each year on corporate golf outings? Now imagine if you take that outing, schedule it on a race weekend. We have some of the nicest venues in the country. Play golf on Saturday, dinner with the team on Saturday night in the pits, let them crawl all over the boat, did I ever mention racer professionalism? Then, entertain your clients on Sunday on a private chartered yacht within feet of the racing action. You will not find a better bang for the buck when it comes to marketing impact.

And never, never, never try to sell TV coverage since it's spotty at best. If you do happen to get good coverage, you can send them a tape and say "look what we were able to do for you."

Quick Reply: Anyone think advertising on Race Boats doesn't work?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.