Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What's the deal with NJ noise laws? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/80369-whats-deal-nj-noise-laws.html)

Shooter 06-01-2004 06:21 PM

What's the deal with NJ noise laws?

Heard a rumor that this year the marine police are enforcing the muffler requirement in NJ. $500.00 fine?

I'm getting to Tampa (as soon as my stinkin' house sells), so I'm going to have to be fast on the thru-prop.

DaveP 06-01-2004 06:33 PM

Re: What's the deal with NJ noise laws?

if you buy a 36 Concept from me you won't have to worry about it! :p :p

mr_velocity 06-01-2004 07:54 PM

Geeze I hope not. I ran between the bridges, Rumson to the Highlands, WOT on Sunday afternoon. The police boats were still tied up, only saw one out on Friday night. Hope it's not true or at least they only enforce it down in BB.

Big Dawg 06-01-2004 08:01 PM

I spoke to the Marine police over the weekend and he made it sound like they would address complaints only. Because they have no way of measuring sound volumes which is not even the law ...Law states all vessels must have a type of muffling device.PERIOD

Donzilla 06-01-2004 08:19 PM

I ran all weekend little egg inlet to manasquan inlet in and out saw several MP and just got the freindly wave back. Both boats wide open exhaust. I think it really comes down to common sense if you see um backum down a little and just give them some respect after all they are just doing a job. I have several law enforcement friends and they tell me don't be the a hole cause you are gonna attract attention.Attention = confrontation = you loose
JIM

Ron P 06-01-2004 08:22 PM

The NJ Marine Police are not there to bust balls, but if they get a complaint, they need to react. My understanding is that they just want to see mufflers on the transom. There is no way for them to accurately measure sound so they are just using the visual inspection.

bojoe2 06-01-2004 08:43 PM

ya the db meter they have when pointed at there own outboards show too high of a db rating so there cool like said earlier just treat them with respect back down and they will leave ya alone unless they get a complaint

CAP071 06-01-2004 09:35 PM

I have a DB meter from the CG I 'm, gonna try it out this week if I get a chance see how some boats do

Formula Outlaw 06-01-2004 09:43 PM

Thankfully that's one problem we don't really have to deal with here. Now if we could just do something about those damn Manatee Zones.

Of course when you spend as much time on the trailer as I have over the last seven months, it really doesn't matter anyway.

DaveP 06-01-2004 10:49 PM

State Police will be periodically checking for mufflers this season. This is a result of a push by those who were defeated with the speed limit initiative.

If there is a legitimate muffler in place - no ticket. If there is not a legitamate muffler in place - it will be the discretion of the trooper to issue a warning or a ticket.

As for how will they know what is a muffler or not? - I will be holding a training class for the troopers within the next 2 months at Typhoon Performance Marine in Toms River.