OT: Anyone informed on 67-69 Cameros? >

OT: Anyone informed on 67-69 Cameros?

Notices

OT: Anyone informed on 67-69 Cameros?

Old 06-02-2004, 03:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: OT: Anyone informed on 67-69 Cameros?

The RS model came with the hide-away head lights (67-69) and on the '69 model it included the urethane(sp) (body color) front bumper.
The SS package had the engine, transmission, and suspension options. On the 67-68 RS and SS models the tail lights and rear valance was different.
Both models offered special interior option packages.

SS package on the early years, 67-68, had the first 350" engines. I don't think a BB was offered in those years.
First year for the Z28 was 1968.

The DZ302 was a 327 block with a 283 crankshaft that registered 302.4 cubic inches. It is also one of the most wicked small block motors ever built. They showed some incredible "true" horsepower numbers.
Correct, but you had to wind the piss out of it to get there. The short stroke engine had all the HP way up in the RPM band.

The best car may be the unrestored California small block or inline 6 car.
Yes. If you do find one, you can drop in a SBC very easily. Everything off the 6 will bolt right up to the SBC, starter and flywheel included, except the engine mounts (both engine and frame mounts) and radiator.
And don't forget, if you can't find all the "Camaro" parts you need, a Firebird of the same year is the perfect donor car. Same frame, suspension and some body parts.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a buddy that restores first gen camaros He could prolly answer any Q's you have about #'s and distinctions. There are some weird ways of telling if they are clones or not like speedo, tach, and other interior stuff. I don't know off hand but some of the identifying tricks are pretty cool.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:33 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

Tank,

Let me know if you want me to look at anything for you. Pomona swap meet is this Sunday (6/6) and long Beach hot rod swap next Sunday (6/13). Good places to look for cars. Even if you can't find what you want, you can get an idea of the market. Call me if you want to go.

Are you looking for a resto or modified car? I think modified cars are more fun but then, I'm a hot rod guy so I'm a little biased.

Pomona swap link:

http://www.pomonaswapmeet.com/

Long Beach swap link:

http://www.toppingevents.com/

Camaro links:

http://www.camaros.net/

http://www.camaroz28.com/

http://holisticpage.com/camaro/index_fs.htm

http://www.z28.com/

-Al
Old 06-02-2004, 04:16 PM
Registered

Received 2,831 Likes on 951 Posts

Thanks you guys. I guess I really could care less if it's a matching #'s car. I just want a ragtop that is going to haul ass and look t!ts! I see some fairly cheap ones listed that look pretty nice but didn't understand why they are selling for 20k when the identical one next to it is selling for 50k!

Craig, point taken...Spelling typo

Al, just the man I should've known to go to. We'll talk. I can't make it this weekend we are going down to Huntington Beach for Paul's (Paul & Kristy) 40th Bday.

So what else should I know about these cars??

Tank
Old 06-02-2004, 05:11 PM
Registered

Call whenever your ready, Tank.

Lots of stuff going on now, it's the car show season! There is probably a local show every weekend, sometimes mutiple shows.

Ragtops are more money than coupes. There can be a big difference in conditions of, what may appear to be, two identicle cars. The photos in the ads won't reveal flaws. Over the years I've looked at thousands of "twenty footers" that were represented to be cherry cars. You have to take your time looking and grab the Recycler & Auto Traders very early Thursday mornings to get the good deals. But half the fun should be the hunt for the perfect (for you) car (I love spending other peoples money!). Don't get over eager, decide what you want (year, engine, options, color, etc) and what you want to pay before you go looking. But sometimes you have to look first to know what you want. Kind a like buying a boat!

-Al

Last edited by Baja Fresh; 06-02-2004 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 69 396/375 is a hot little number but will be pricey. The engine combo was also availaable in late 68'.

Those 302's could easily make 500 hp but you had to gear them wicked low because of the rpms it would make.

The all time "Boss" Camaro would probably be the Baldwin Phase III "427", an absolute monster on the street. Both Nickey and Yenko made some vicious machines as well.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:16 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

MY girlfriends father is the ultimate source of info on the first generation camaro !If you tell him the vin number , He can tell you what the car is out of his head !! He has the nicest 67 RS Z-28 with 302 4 speed on the planet !! He also rights the books that the judges use to judge them by at the shows . If you realy need to know something special I can give you his number . Call me if you want it . cell 908963-2513. Joe

Always check the frame above the rear for rot ! Look around the steering box too , and low on the fire wall near the trans . Around the winsheild frame, rear window frame , etc. And of course look at the floors !

Seriously , If you need help ,just ask ! Joe

Also ,look on www.traderonline.com under classic cars .
Old 06-02-2004, 05:18 PM
Registered

Those are all b!tchin' cars, FO, but pricey and easily duplicated using a lo-po stocker as a base. My advise is to look for a cheapy model and then upgrade it with your own mods to your liking.
Plus, it is always more fun to drive a car you built yourself and not have to worry about originality (IMHO).
Old 06-02-2004, 05:20 PM
Registered

Also in 67 ,they only made 600 and some .... the 68 and 69 they made 10's of thousands . And yes , that 302 is WICKED !! 4:10 gears and about 8,000 rpm's and she is GONE !
Old 06-02-2004, 05:22 PM
Registered

baja, your right ! It's funny that the clones are bringing huge money too ! People don't seam to care either ...... NO matter what model it is , it will be a cool ride !

Quick Reply: OT: Anyone informed on 67-69 Cameros?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.