Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   WOW.. mini VS. f-150 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/80466-wow-mini-vs-f-150-a.html)

BGIII 06-03-2004 01:20 PM

Re: WOW.. mini VS. f-150

I suspect the whole thing is just more tree hugger crap to discredit the safety of the large gas guzzling pig and Ford Motor Company. We all know Ford doesn't have our best interests as there number one priority but I think the above example is at best not typical. Remember when 20/20 or Dateline (cannot remember which one) ignited the Chevy truck w/ the side saddle gas tanks when they couldn't get it to blow up on it's own? Don't believe it unless you were there to witness it with your own eyes.

wannabe 06-03-2004 01:35 PM

Folks, you have to understand the tests:

40 MPH Fixed Barrier and OFFSET

The latter means it only impacted on a part of the front of the vehicle. Larger vehicles tend to do worse because of the Total ENERGY (Force) that must be dissipated across a small section.

F=M*V2 where V2 is the Velocity squared.

Bigger vehicles have a higher Mass (weight).

Also Note this was the OLDER body style F 150 not the new one.

Troutly also is correct in pointing out the survivability of a 40 MPH is far less than the 35 MPH standard currently in existence.

Wannabe

robyw1 06-03-2004 01:42 PM

[QUOTE=BGIII]I suspect the whole thing is just more tree hugger crap to discredit the safety of the large gas guzzling pig and Ford Motor Company.QUOTE]

Of course it is and unless you go to the poll and defeat their supporting party then bend over, grease up and prepare for more.

Roby

Stormrider 06-03-2004 02:28 PM

Guys, BMW poured major cash into the safety of this vehicle.
Its one of the most rigid chasis/passenger compartments around.
They'd have to make it this way, otherwise no one would get
into that car.

robyw1 06-03-2004 02:34 PM

I can only imagine that if you hit a tree at 75, you would be through the windshield before the airbag deployed. I also calculated and if I'm correct you experienced roughly 21-Gs just before you broke through the strap of your seatbelt which you would have. :D:D Perhaps this incident can explain why you would volunteer to drive a car into a wall at 40-MPH. WOW. Glad you're still with us.

Roby

BGIII 06-03-2004 02:48 PM

I don't know about you Roby, but I ain't looken to get greased up.

JUSTONCE 06-03-2004 02:51 PM

No,this isn't bullchit.This is true. The car spun off the highway at about 85 into the ditch and hit the tree square so hard that the roof actually allmost came off.I'm guessing the impact was about 75 cause the tree wasn't far from the road. The car hit backwards (prolly the only reason any one survived.) We in the front were not hurt. The seat recliners broke though. The girl in the back broke her legs and the guy in the back flew out the back window and ended up on the hill bout 50 feet away. I don't know about the physics of it just that we were all very lucky.

Iggy 06-03-2004 03:10 PM

If my 5000 lbs, F-250 hit a Mini head-on, the Mini driver would get a great view of my front differential-transmission-rear differential as I drove over him. :crazy: :crazy:

Two weeks ago my 24 year old daughter lost control of her '95 Honda Accord 4 door when it hit a rain slicked spot on the road. All four tires were in perfect condition and she wasn't exceeding 40 mph when it happened.
Car slid pass side first into a medium sized pine tree which contacted squarely on the right front wheel shoving it two feet into the engine compartment. The engine and 5 speed trans-axle were broken open spilling oil and gears onto the road. The windshield was broken and folded in two directions.
She woke up when the paramedics broke the window and she found herself laying across the pass seat with her head against the pass side door. She was wearing her seatbelt but had the shoulder belt behind her.
Don't ask why. She won't be doing that again.
She wound up having 8 stitches to put her right ear back together and 15 staples to close various scalp wounds plus a concussion.
She only had this car for two months and now it's totaled. Her previous car was totaled in a similar fashion by her boyfriend in January. Luckily for her she has, or had, gap insurance on both vehicles.