Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Boating in the NoVa area? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/80560-boating-nova-area.html)

dockrocker 06-03-2004 11:16 PM

Boating in the NoVa area?

Just took a new position with a firm headquartered in Reston VA. My initial gig will be straightening out an account here in Detroit, but it's at least 50/50 that we will be moving to the Reston area in the next 3 years.

So, how is the boating?

mopower 06-03-2004 11:53 PM

Re: Boating in the NoVa area?

Chesapeake Bay :cool: :drink: :cool:

You'll love it :)

squirt 06-04-2004 06:19 AM

Potomac River is good....Now I hope you got a good pay increase. The cost of living in Reston or NOVA in general is OUT OF CONTROL. Oh and your gonna love the traffic. :(

OldSchool 06-04-2004 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by dockrocker
Just took a new position with a firm headquartered in Reston VA. My initial gig will be straightening out an account here in Detroit, but it's at least 50/50 that we will be moving to the Reston area in the next 3 years.

So, how is the boating?

The boating is good!! :D :drink:

We live about 15 miles from Reston (towards DC). we do most of our boating on the Potomac River and go over to the Ches. Bay a handfull of times each year. It's about an hour to get to the Bay (towing). Give me a shout when you are going to be in the area, I'd be more than happy to show you around. :)

Craig

Dave M 06-04-2004 06:27 AM

Hey DR,

Ditto on the Potomac and the Ches. Bay. A lot of good boating in this area. A boater with a trailer would never run out of places to go in the Ches. area. Maryland alone has approx 6K miles of shoreline. I boat april-nov. no problem. Squirt is right about the cost of housing in NoVA. :eek:

Dave M.

45sonic 06-04-2004 07:05 AM

Welcome to the area. I'll agree with the others assesment of the boating and the traffic. Give us a shout when you get settled so we can get together. We live in Herndon during the week.

Bill & Patti

dockrocker 06-04-2004 07:31 AM

Thanks for the info - company is based in Reston and they've made some noise about getting involved in the corporate/strategy side of things, but I've got a bit of work here in Detroit. I figure maybe 3 years and then it will be a more serious possibility - munchkin #1 would be 5 and #2 would be about 2 1/2 at that point. And you can bet your booty that a significant COL adjustment will be in order! :)

Sydwayz 06-04-2004 08:13 AM

I have been in DC for 11 years, ever since the military sent me here. I stayed when I got out of the military because once you get into the job market in this area, you can become somewhat worth a little more in this area, and also becomes tough to leave.

Boating... Potomac River is great, as stated, but it is a river, and there can be a lot of crap in the water after storms, especially since the river goes through several elevation changes, and falls, before it hits DC. Unfortunately, you normally have a scum line on the boat after a day of boating too. We deal with it.

Chesapeake Bay, Smith Mountain Lake, Lake Anna, Richmond area (James River), and a few other spots are all popular destinations out of home waters, and there are lots of events in this area, as well, as heading into Georgetown in DC, or Old Town Alexandria, VA.

Housing costs... they pretty much bet on a two income minimum to own a home here. That may even only get you a townhouse. 90% of the developments have HOA, so keeping your boat at your house could be a problem. I currently live in Woodbridge, VA, about 25 miles south of Reston, with no HOA in our new subdivision, so Monsoon is staying at home for now. Its a bit farther out into neck and hick country, but I deal with it.

Sydwayz 06-04-2004 08:14 AM

DR, what company?