Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What will replace the 2.5 offshore ??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/80755-what-will-replace-2-5-offshore.html)

Maximus 06-12-2004 07:49 PM

Re: What will replace the 2.5 offshore ???

Are you saying a 28 Skater w/300x's and these Lowers would run 130 mph????

Thats really fast for 640 hp.....whats the HP to speed avg 5 hp per 1mph or so...thats pretty damn efficient.
Think about that for a sec 130mph almost 30feet long 2 stock warr outboards.

Smokin!

maximus

Firewalker 06-14-2004 08:09 AM

I would agree with the 5-8 mph, and agree that the handling would greatly improve........ in all but one area!. The SSM drives have little or no planing surface and have a tendency to invite blowovers to the novice. A good throttle man with a well tuned ass will be wise to this before he/she enters the no no zone.
Thinking about this a little ( my head hurts from the Montreal Grand Prix ), if a pair of old Merc MC1 case could be found, it could easily be the HOT setup on a skater.
Diamond Marine in Ft Lauderdale can make adapter plates, I would have them aerate it to improve time to plane.

T2x, do you have any more pictures of the WING?

RT

T2x 06-14-2004 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Firewalker
T2x, do you have any more pictures of the WING?

RT

Come to Clayton...... The boat is awash in fibreglass grindings...... but... The seat mounts are in, the tank bases and bulkheads are in, the transoms are cut and done, All bulkheads have been replaced, rear bottom has been balsa cored and the sponson pads have new plywood and stringers, the spray rail/hull deck joint has been removed and smoothed, hull has been internally glassed to the deck and finished, the various cracks and dings are repaired. The aeleron is 80% complete...and the rear cowls (aprox 24" tapered) await engine installation for fabrication. This has been some project.

I'll try to get some photos this week.......

T2x

Firewalker 06-14-2004 03:03 PM

Too cool!.

My dad is going to be down with a boat....... I kinda have to tag along.

RT

Trade you a ride for that in a 1920 Gold cup boat, with LIBERTY power!.

T2x 06-14-2004 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Maximus
Are you saying a 28 Skater w/300x's and these Lowers would run 130 mph????

Thats really fast for 640 hp.....whats the HP to speed avg 5 hp per 1mph or so...thats pretty damn efficient.
Think about that for a sec 130mph almost 30feet long 2 stock warr outboards.

Smokin!

maximus

130 is about right...... FW makes a good point about blowover...but that's what proper balance is for....besides the little blades don't have the leverage to lift the bow as readily as the big ones.

I'm not sure if Mercury will warrantee the 300x with SSM's, but there should be no penalty on the the powerhead mounted on an adapted center section.

By the way....the 2.5's would also bolt right up...with less modifications.... and gain almost as much speed methinks.

One caveat....these combos will not carry weight as well as the standard units so look for bigger penalties with fuel loads and added passengers.

T2x

T2x 06-14-2004 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Firewalker
Too cool!.

Trade you a ride for that in a 1920 Gold cup boat, with LIBERTY power!.

It's a deal...... but, don't forget Sherlock and Darren.

T2x

T2x 06-14-2004 03:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are the new "x's"..... Photo courtesy of Scream and Fly.

T2x

Airpacker 06-15-2004 08:13 AM

When is the Clayton show?

Oh Rob, I expect a close up and personal tour of that gold cup boat real soon :)

Firewalker 06-15-2004 08:18 AM

Me too............ they have to get it finished!. Clayton is Aug 19-21 ( I think ) I have never been, My dad goes when it is on.

You would not believe the motor.......... all 4000 lbs of it, and all 24 spark plugs, and all 12 gallons of oil, and all 8" of exhaust!.