When will Mercury fill the gap?

Notices

When will Mercury fill the gap?

Old 06-09-2004, 06:24 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: When will Mercury fill the gap?

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
Brunswick owns:
Baja
Bayliner
Boston Whaler
Crestliner
Hattares
Lowe
Princecraft
Sea Ray
Trophy
CGP
Land and sea
Merc
Cercruiser
Cummins Merc
Mercury castings
And holds Fountain by the nads.
Old 06-09-2004, 06:33 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: When will Mercury fill the gap?

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
...The guy says there is a GM crate engine that he knew about that could be bought from GMPartsDepot.com today and I would not be the "first to marinize it".
Read this thread back4more addresses automotive crate engines understandebly for the non-mechanic compared to marine engines.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=61488

Here is a good an exchange and a quotes from him:
Originally Posted by tomcat
What about buying the short block with the hydraulic roller cam and using aftermarket aluminum heads with big combustion chambers? I think Dart sells heads with 140cc chambers which would make about 8.5:1 CR on a 572. Can you say 1000 HP blower motor?
Originally Posted by Back4More
You can say it, but It will say kaboom back.
Originally Posted by Back4More
"In the marine enviroment" blocks run colder and pistons run hotter....and with a blower on top even hotter.
More clearance between piston and cylinder...ring ends get more clearance too. Blower pistons are a must with that much power expected out of it...and a high quality set of rings too. More clearance in the rod bearings for oil flow to remove heat from the bearings. Re balancing the rotating assy...If its anything like the ZZ502 it will rattle it's self to death in no time.
If your looking for a 1000hp blower motor you better plunk down the cash for top of the line internals...not to mention a beefy aftermarket block...There is no such thing as a cheap marine blower motor making 700+hp.
I not slamming this bad assed crate motor, but it is not for powerboats...I read alot about people blowing up the 502s running them at the track.
I know nothing about detailed marine engine building but learned a bit while having mine built.

Oh, and we did'nt even talk cams and valve train yet....
Old 06-09-2004, 09:36 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: When will Mercury fill the gap?

Originally Posted by GLH
And holds Fountain by the nads.
As well as everybody else! They have monumental buying power and what do they do? Boost prices and have huge profit margins. I can't believe the FTC didn't see them moving in to squash the competition and kept approving one merger after the next. They put Vovo-Penta and OMC all but out of business.
I did my homework real well and these guys are making more on a boat than the manufacture and that's only if THEY don't already own the company.

Also, I figured the crate motor would not be an application for marine use probably but just look at what under 20k will buy you. We should have decent 600 HP motors for 20k by a major marine builder who "own's" the entire fleet. The only boat company they won't own is the US Navy and I'll bet they supply to millitary as well anyways.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 06-09-2004 at 09:41 AM.