Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   When will Mercury fill the gap? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/80758-when-will-mercury-fill-gap.html)

Boomer 880 06-07-2004 12:29 PM

When will Mercury fill the gap?

I have tried to call Mercury Racing several times, but never get a call back.

Does anyone know when/if Mercury will offer something between the 575 and the 1075? Any rumors on a new drive to fill the gap as well? If you have any information, please add the estimated timing of when this will hit.

I remember years ago, they were looking at a 700hp aluminum engine. Anything ever come of this?

GLH 06-07-2004 12:35 PM

Re: When will Mercury fill the gap?

Gap? Check out Chief or R.Zull.

I have always been told that big HP out of Merc is high maintenance sort of like women, but others here are better informed than I, on engines anyway.

Sean 06-07-2004 12:40 PM

Better yet, how about filling the gap between the Bravo and the Six???

I don't care what letters you add after the Bravo...X, XR, XZ...****...you can call it XXX for all I care...it just don't stay together...bring back the Three or something comparable...

Perhaps...and call me crazy...but I think they do this jsut to sell parts...

Cord 06-07-2004 12:49 PM

I asked a insider the drive question the other day...the answer is no. The bravo is here to stay for the forseable future. Don't forget there are some other speedy drives other than the 6 that are still available new.

Hydrocruiser 06-07-2004 12:54 PM

Hey Boomer! They are taking applications why not apply? I agree with you all the way. Their product line is hit and miss when it comes to meeting customer needs. Seriously, maybe somebody knows somebody that could fill this job and make the dream come true! My vote is for McCostillin as he knows how to make things move! If anyone applies and gets the job my "finder's fee" is a "can of blue paint".

http://www.nationjob.com/job/mema971

Clay Washington 06-07-2004 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Boomer 880
Does anyone know when/if Mercury will offer something between the 575 and the 1075? Any rumors on a new drive to fill the gap as well? If you have any information, please add the estimated timing of when this will hit.

I remember years ago, they were looking at a 700hp aluminum engine. Anything ever come of this?

Have you though about an HP500 with a Whipple? It is an awesome setup! :D

dockrocker 06-07-2004 01:04 PM

Re: the Bravo / #6 gap - I've read "coming soon" rumors on this site for years now with nothing to show for it. You'd think that Merc would see there is a market for a drive that will live behind 700 hp without costing more than the boat itself. *shrugs*

Boomer 880 06-07-2004 01:16 PM

I think the Whipple idea creates great power, but will tear apart a Bravo XR drive on any boat with decent size and weight.

The Imco 4x4 looks nice, but it comes with no warranty and costs almost as much as a #6 drive.

ChrisK 06-07-2004 01:23 PM

How about the konrad drive as a fill in... can handle the power, comes with a warranty...

Boomer 880 06-07-2004 01:30 PM

The problem, as I see it, is that many builders do not want to work with alternative power (Sterling, Cheif, Zul...) and drives that are outside the Mercury offerings. Should you get them to drop in a Chief engine, you are still stuck with limited drive options. I like the Konrad idea, but one has to consider re-sale value with a new/unknown drive.

A monopoly has its benefits!!!