Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   The Women of OSO (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/80901-women-oso.html)

getreal 06-09-2004 08:27 AM

Re: The Women of OSO

There’s always the Uncensored Forum

robyw1 06-09-2004 08:43 AM

Wasabe, I don’t know of any barriers here that is prevent you and other women of OSO from becoming more knowledgeable. I think it is fantastic that you seek all there is to know about an activity/hobby that you love and you are at the right place to gain this knowledge. You can browse the tech section for just about anything related to boating as far a repairs, maintenance, upkeep. And don’t forget all of the various boating magazines and organizations you can subscribe to. You don’t have to have a boat to learn; for instance you can go to: www.usps.org for a world of information.

As far as your concern about comments that you find insulting or hurtful you have to understand that some people are just like that. Whether they mean it or not you have to let their comments roll off. No one will ever go through life without being insulted and you need to remember those who put you down only do so because they are incapable uplifting themselves. If you want to communicate with the other women of OSO then start a “women’s” thread for example. In my opinion it isn’t needed because you are free to be a part of any discussion.

Cheers
Roby

lucky strike 06-09-2004 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Wasabe
Just a place where women can talk about our experiences and what not.

It just sucks when comments are made and it makes a person feel bad. It's already tough enough for woman to get involved who are not boat ornaments. Or who don't own their own boat.

I don't want to race or be a racer chick.

Some women want to better at other things then just looking good bringing the buoys in or washing the boat in a 2 piece.

I don't mind being an ornament but I would at least like to be a knowledgeable one :D

Wasabe-
I'm not really getting at what you are wanting to learn? Your first sentence made it sound like you want a place for women to talk. Then, you would like to become knowledagable. Two differnet things. Just trying to clear this up as I think this could become an intersting topic.

Do you want to learn about different model Cigs?
Do you want to learn about different motors and how they work?
Do you want to learn about different out drives and how they work?
Do you want to learn about driving/docking boats?

Bobby (LS JR.)

BK 06-09-2004 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by BatGirl
I found that most men will answer any questions you have and teach you anything you want to know about boats and are happy to do so. I have found that most are facinated by a female who wants to learn more about boats, engines, props, drives, etc, than some bimbo in a bikini. If you are hot and want to learn , thats a plus! Which you are. There are PLENTY of guys out there that would teach and let you run their boat!!
Ohh Jeffrey watch out! LOL
BG XO

You got it, BG!

My future husband first saw me while I was wrenching on an outboard in a wicked thunderstorm. My hair and clothes were soaked and I looked like a wet dog, but my guy still found something attractive about me - despite the fact that I looked pathetic.

He must have been attracted to my inner beauty that exposed my true love: Fast boats. :D

Wasabe - Us girls can hang with the boys here. I was so sorry to see your other thread get ruined by a few crass comments. Don't worry about those guys who have to belittle the gals. Reality is that only a few men are threatened by the female gender. The real men are the ones who are intrigued. :p

cigarette1 06-09-2004 10:34 AM

.... there is some chuvinistic men out there, but you have to take the comments and laugh them off.

You've got to understand ... we grew up playing chicken, building skateboards out of 2x4's and Union5's, carried a hammer to keep our scooters together, valued bicycle parts found in the flood channels so we could have another bike in our crew, built clubhouses, had fist fights, took lawn mower engines and mounted them in bicycles (removed muffler and added plumbing pipes to make it loud), riding motorcycles in the desert and on the track (Wasabe does ride dirt bikes), added headers to our vans to make them louder, built hot rods, played football, pulling our VW motors to replace pistons before going to the races the next day, restoring $1000 V-drive flatbottoms because that's all we could afford, had dads that took us to Catalina in 18' outboards ... this is just some of what creates a passion that manifest itself into the desire to run offshore boats ... you've got to understand we didn't just wake up and want to take part in this tough and dangerous hobby, it's deep in most of us ... this is probably why most men have a skeptical view of women expressing a new passion for offshore powerboating ... it's hard on the body, hard on the mind and hard on the pocket ... as far as time invested, the glamorous part is small, the tedious part is enormous.

Women are more than welcome ... but, don't expect any handouts. Feel fortunate if someone is willing to share the experience. Every moment on/around the boat is an opportunity to learn something ... if you are interested in one day operating an offshoreboat, there is no time for sitting back and enjoying a boat ride, meaning, pay attention to everything, there's a lot going on.

Flame Away

G

Tonto 06-09-2004 11:09 AM

I have been watching this to see where this one was going, then G you put an enlighten view point out there. It's not just a boat ride, there's alot going on. You need to have seat time in the boat so you know what it feels like, sounds like, smells like, etc. Like the time Demi and I were heading to the Keys in the SeaRay and all of a sudden, I stopped the boat, she wanted to know what was wrong. The port engine exhaust just got louder (no water in the muffler), I had the boat stopped before the alarms went off, but it took me a minute to figure out that we had just lost the belt on the raw water pump. Thank God I carry ALOT of spare parts. And now she wants to learn how to do "stuff", as she calls it on the boat, which I think is GREAT!

One place you start is to get your hands on a MerCruiser shop manual for a MerCruiser High Perfomance engine and read about the different "systems" on the engine. Cooling system, elecrical system, ignition system, etc. Then when you get to the boat, identify the systems on the engine. Take the cooling system for ex., is it raw water cooled or a closed cooling system? Then "think" about how the system works, drawing in raw water, sending it through the strainer, going through the raw water pump, then through the oil, trans, and power steering coolers, into the engine and out the exhaust. The manual is real good at giving diagrams of the systems. Then there are boat systems that are specific to your individual boat. Chapman's is a good book to read also, giving all kind of information on everything. Hey, I think it's great that you want to learn, I know I'll be glad when Demi feels comfortable enough to drive without my help 'cause I just want to sit back and enjoy the boat ride and have a few cold adult beverages, and I'll even get them myself! :drink:

Robert

BLee 06-09-2004 11:18 AM

Nahhh, Wasabe, We can hang with the guys without being a Bow Bimbo!
Yeah, You are going to catch some wise ass remarks and there is some chuvinistic men out there, but you have to take the comments and laugh them off.

Thank you BatGirl,
Chicks like you with confidence are far more attractive than the insecure ones. :cool:

GLH 06-09-2004 12:21 PM

...You are going to catch some wise ass remarks and there is some chuvinistic men out there, but you have to take the comments and laugh them off.

Some chauvinistic men out there? Only a woman would make such an insensitive remark like that, that's the kind of statement that makes my skin tone go from a beautiful "Salmon Pink" to a dark "Raspberry Royale", I am so agitated and flustered I will have to double the amount of "French Super-Blue Lavender" tea leaves in my simmering tisane. Tahh Tahh!

:D

Marginmn 06-09-2004 12:51 PM

"Wasabe Should there be a section just for women who want to talk about boats on OSO?

Please be fair. AND NO BASHING!"

Heck yea, I think it's only fair that the girls should have their own section that is unique to women. In fact, I'll offer a name. Call it the "Prohibited Male Section", or PMS for short :eek: Take that :blaster:

BK 06-09-2004 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by cigarette1
You've got to understand ... we grew up playing chicken, building skateboards out of 2x4's and Union5's, carried a hammer to keep our scooters together, valued bicycle parts found in the flood channels so we could have another bike in our crew, built clubhouses, had fist fights, took lawn mower engines and mounted them in bicycles (removed muffler and added plumbing pipes to make it loud), riding motorcycles in the desert and on the track (Wasabe does ride dirt bikes), added headers to our vans to make them louder, built hot rods, played football, pulling our VW motors to replace pistons before going to the races the next day, restoring $1000 V-drive flatbottoms because that's all we could afford, had dads that took us to Catalina in 18' outboards ... this is just some of what creates a passion that manifest itself into the desire to run offshore boats ... you've got to understand we didn't just wake up and want to take part in this tough and dangerous hobby, it's deep in most of us ... this is probably why most men have a skeptical view of women expressing a new passion for offshore powerboating ... it's hard on the body, hard on the mind and hard on the pocket ... as far as time invested, the glamorous part is small, the tedious part is enormous.
Women are more than welcome ... but, don't expect any handouts. Feel fortunate if someone is willing to share the experience. Every moment on/around the boat is an opportunity to learn something ... if you are interested in one day operating an offshoreboat, there is no time for sitting back and enjoying a boat ride, meaning, pay attention to everything, there's a lot going on.
Flame Away
G

I've had three dirt bikes, built underground desert club houses with hidden entrances and figured out on my own how to drive a 4-speed VW with no clutch from Colorado Springs all the way to Denver.

But.... have you ever push-started a VW in a dress and high heels??
Bet not. ;)