Notices
View Poll Results: Should OSO Women have our own section?
I'm a Woman. Yes, we should.
3.03%
I'm a Woman. No, we shouldn't.
12.73%
I'm a Man. Yes, we should.
36.36%
I'm a Man. No, we shouldn't.
49.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

The Women of OSO

Old 06-10-2004, 10:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: The Women of OSO

Wasabe, as I've mentioned before, Deb and I have our own kitchen cabinet/refacing and furniture design and consruction business. She works right along side and can do any of the work. She personally laid every single board in our "1925 era 'Heartwood Hard Pine' wood floor. Some of these boards are 24 ft. long. You can't even buy something like that today. We got it at a "demolition sale". Took us six days to pull it up, 5 days to denail it (the old square peg nails every 10 inches) and retrieved almost 1600 square feet of this flooring. On the rare occasion you can find this old flooring for sale (it is considered the "Rolls Royce" of hardwood flooring) it usually sells for around $ 20.00 per sq. ft. We paid three hundred bucks for the entire floor, but then again we had to remove. It took her almost a month to put it down in our home, and completley refinish it. It is just stunning. None of thie Pergo wannabe product. This is as real as it gets. This wood is so hard, sparks flew off the saw when cutting it. She is a female in a male dominated work enviroment, and when some idiot refers to her as my "helper", I just hope the blood isn't too bad when she gets finished with whoever.

Bottom line: a woman can do anything she wants to and if someone else feels differently it is their problem and their loss.

You rock.........
Old 06-10-2004, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tonto
I have been watching this to see where this one was going, then G you put an enlighten view point out there. It's not just a boat ride, there's alot going on. You need to have seat time in the boat so you know what it feels like, sounds like, smells like, etc. Like the time Demi and I were heading to the Keys in the SeaRay and all of a sudden, I stopped the boat, she wanted to know what was wrong. The port engine exhaust just got louder (no water in the muffler), I had the boat stopped before the alarms went off, but it took me a minute to figure out that we had just lost the belt on the raw water pump. Thank God I carry ALOT of spare parts. And now she wants to learn how to do "stuff", as she calls it on the boat, which I think is GREAT!

One place you start is to get your hands on a MerCruiser shop manual for a MerCruiser High Perfomance engine and read about the different "systems" on the engine. Cooling system, elecrical system, ignition system, etc. Then when you get to the boat, identify the systems on the engine. Take the cooling system for ex., is it raw water cooled or a closed cooling system? Then "think" about how the system works, drawing in raw water, sending it through the strainer, going through the raw water pump, then through the oil, trans, and power steering coolers, into the engine and out the exhaust. The manual is real good at giving diagrams of the systems. Then there are boat systems that are specific to your individual boat. Chapman's is a good book to read also, giving all kind of information on everything. Hey, I think it's great that you want to learn, I know I'll be glad when Demi feels comfortable enough to drive without my help 'cause I just want to sit back and enjoy the boat ride and have a few cold adult beverages, and I'll even get them myself!

Robert
EXCELLENT suggestion Tonto!

I think I am going to find out if Bill has one. If not, I am going to get one and keep it at the house on the river for those times that the weather isn't cooperating. At least I can read about it even if we can't be out on the water enjoying it.

Great thread! And I am glad there are women out there that are not content with being a bow ornament!

Patti
Old 06-10-2004, 10:42 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Funny story...

I have been dating a girl for a few weeks now, and a couple OSO members have met her. Well, I took Monsoon out for the first time with her on Memorial weekend. I had her come over to the house, on Saturday morning, and of course I was still moving into the boat, and doing some cleaning, not to mention, we had a 45 minute stop at Sheetz to fill the tanks. When we got to the marina, it was probably 2 1/2 hours after I had her show up at the house.
When we finally got the boat in the water, and heading out the no wake zone, she looked at me and said, "Look at the time. I did not have to get up this early; I could have slept in 2 more hours and met you at the Marina." I let it go.
When we returned to the marina on Sunday, she just wanted to hop in her car and go, which she did have a birthday party she had to get to. However, I did inform her that from now on I would just be calling her a couple times a week, to come over for sex. No dinner, no gifts, no spending the night, no favors, etc. She quickly got the point that boating was not just about running around out on the boat, that there is a lot more to it. The following weekend, she was much more involved with everything from loading the boat, to launching, to cleaning, etc. etc.

People not in the know have asked me... "Do you need a crew to launch that thing, or what?" I inform them that going out with a date that does not know much about the boating thing, etc, that I pretty much do everything myself from lines, to fenders, to launching, retrieving etc. I now welcome the opportunity to spend time with a date that knows how to handle herself around the boat. Now I just need to teach someone how to back down a ramp.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 06-10-2004 at 10:45 AM.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Now I just need to teach someone how to back down a ramp.

Well Brian.....you're gonna have to figure it out first before you can teach someone else.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:01 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Nort, the new 'unit' is so long, I have had a little trouble. I may test a few girls with backing, and the one that does best I will keep around. Nah, there are other things more important.

Seriously, I think it is WAY *****EN when some hot girl hops out of a rig after backing it down the ramp. I gotta get me one of those.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:07 AM
Registered

I back most of the way, hop in boat start (make sure everything is GO) back boat off while she pulls out of water. Quick tie up and I do the formal parking.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BK
Well, maybe you can find a school that offers marine tech classes at night. Ususally its only one night per week (7-9pm) and goes about two and a half months. But you can sure learn a lot in that short time.

I wish I was younger and I'd go back to school too, and take some fun classes. For two years I went to college full time at night, and worked full time during the day - and then still had the energy to watch my BF's rock band perform its last set at a local nightclub! Boy, those were the days!

Now I've got two elementary age children and a husband who travels out of state about every other week. No chance to do any college courses now. But I could do with some of that youthful energy I once had!

If you don't have any kids right now, then take advantage of EVERYTHING you can, becuase once you have a child, it will be 18 years before the chance will come around again,... and by then your eager interest in this boat stuff may be long gone.

GO FOR IT! Carpe Diem!
I'm going to see if they have any classes at OCC. They usually do. As for the MerCruiser manual... I'll be looking for that too. Where can I obtain one?
Old 06-10-2004, 12:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BK
You got it, BG!

My future husband first saw me while I was wrenching on an outboard in a wicked thunderstorm. My hair and clothes were soaked and I looked like a wet dog, but my guy still found something attractive about me - despite the fact that I looked pathetic.

He must have been attracted to my inner beauty that exposed my true love: Fast boats.
Yea, inner beauty......show me a guy that isn't attracted to a beautiful woman in a wet T-shirt.....
Old 06-10-2004, 12:36 PM
Registered

Mercruiser direct. Give them exact serial numbers of motors and they will send.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Downtown42
Mercruiser direct. Give them exact serial numbers of motors and they will send.

FANTASTIC! THANK YOU

Quick Reply: The Women of OSO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.