Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Does anyone have experience with these cheap diesel generators ? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/80902-does-anyone-have-experience-these-cheap-diesel-generators.html)

Scott B 06-07-2006 08:29 PM

Re: Does anyone have experience with these cheap diesel generators ?

1 Attachment(s)
I dont know where Aggreko gets those figures unless they are running a very inefficient unit. Last year I ran my entire house on a 35KVA unit, and ran a 30 amp service next door. I have a gas water heater, so that doesnt come into the equation, but I ran AC, lights, 2 fridges, cooktop,oven,washer-dryer and had 93 cel phones plugged in charging at any given moment (so it seemed, no spare outlets around) while using a maximum of 15 gallons in a 24 hr period... I even fired off the central heat one night when it was chilly (yes, I am a true native Floridian).

jordy 06-07-2006 10:32 PM

Wow Scott, a T-35 Terex huh??? I've got a whole fleet of them from the T-35 all the way up to a T-280. They've been good to me. I think I've got 36 units running now.

As far as the suggestion of a 2-71 Detroit, are you talking of the old 2 stroke??? If so, good luck with parts availibity and emissions regulations these days. I just sold my last 2 stroke Detroit genset because I didn't want to be the one without a chair when the music stopped in that game. Oh, and it was a 750kW with a 16V-92 in it. The ground would shake when you fired that sucker up. :D :D :D

As far as this thread, you get what you pay for. Personally I'd stay away from the offshore knockoff stuff because you'll never get your money's worth out of it. :drink:

Wow, this is an old thread. Skywaterboy was really digging to find this one and spam it up. :D :D :D

DJD 06-08-2006 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Scott B
Got to love that 300 amp transfer switch on the wall :eek:

Scott, you should see what the transfer switch looks like in a house I just built for a guy. 120kw custom Onan/Cummins.
Dave

jordy 06-08-2006 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Scott B
Me, I use a 50KW diesel for mine :) Got to love that 300 amp transfer switch on the wall :eek:

Gotta ask why you'd have a 300 amp transfer switch on the wall with a 50kW generator hooked up to it? At 240 volts single phase that 50kW is going to put out a max of 152 amps. 173 amps would be the max at 208 3 phase. Hope you got a deal on it because it's twice what you need assuming you can pull 100% out of the 50kW. :cool:

JETBOAT BRIAN 06-08-2006 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by jordy
Gotta ask why you'd have a 300 amp transfer switch on the wall with a 50kW generator hooked up to it? At 240 volts single phase that 50kW is going to put out a max of 152 amps. 173 amps would be the max at 208 3 phase. Hope you got a deal on it because it's twice what you need assuming you can pull 100% out of the 50kW. :cool:

Jordy....stop hating.... :D

jordy 06-08-2006 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by JETBOAT BRIAN
Jordy....stop hating.... :D

Not hating, educating. :evilb: :D

Stop stalking me. :D