Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   I survived lake cumber(trash)land (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/80927-i-survived-lake-cumber-trash-land.html)

Marginmn 06-09-2004 01:23 PM

Re: I survived lake cumber(trash)land

Yep, the east end of the lake up by Sumerset is especially nasty in the spring. If you want to see the good part of Cumberland pull your boat over to Grider Hill some weekend and come hang out by the dam. BTW Summer Heat, great looking boat you have there. In fact, I think my friend Mike pulled your boat from LCM and put it in for you. He said your boat was really good looking up close. How are you liking the boat so far?

Summer Heat 06-09-2004 01:26 PM

Mike was super nice....

Our storage is just .5 from ramp and we are a little overrated :) on our tow capacity on our suburban... LOVE the new girl, I just got some pictures downloaded and am going to post a few in general.

She is one fun ride. This is our first performance and it is everything we where hoping for. Once we get a new tow we do have plans of coming over and visiting the damn area on LC, but truely we love our Dale Hollow.

Jonas 06-09-2004 01:27 PM

nice looking fountain!!!

fund razor 06-09-2004 01:48 PM

Yeah Summer Heat... very nice looking ride.

mopower 06-09-2004 01:51 PM

Come boat on the Delaware...it tends to get that way every time there is a high tide slightly above average. Seen most all the same $hit here too :(
Some things are downright scary if you ever imagined hitting it :eek:

The thing you really have to worry about are the things you DON"T see :crazy:

Whoa...2500 :D

HyperBaja 06-09-2004 01:52 PM

I assure you that people who have boated all over the country agree that Lake Cumberland ranks right at the top of the list of fresh water lakes in the US. It's 101 miles long, has 1200 miles of shoreline, averages over 100 feet deep, and is situated in a valley surrounded by beautiful shale and limestone tree-lined cliffs. In the late summer and fall the water visibility approaches 30 feet.

I remeber when we went down there a few years ago, talking to the owner of a yellow Nortec 50 footer, Predator III, he had dropped anchor one day, and pulled up a whole section of fence later that day!

jaroot 06-09-2004 02:22 PM

I was there the weekend before memorial day weekend with the rest of the MW Donzi Club... was pretty clear from the damn to lee's ford, except for a few floaters here and there very sporatic... the water level was below the tree line... none the less i did thump something with the SS and took some paint off of her and picked up a vibration... and well she didn't make the rest of the weekend before i lost the upper gears... whether the wood i hit caused that or not i donno.. hmmmm might just be the HP i am forcing through it...

the lake is actually a dammed up valley.. there is a rather large dam at the west end. the lake level to an extent is controlled by the dam except for times of heavy rain... this was all done 50 or 60 years ago for flood control downstream... apparently there used to be A LOT of flood damage further west or what not... there are actually a couple of small towns i hear at the bottom of the lake...

this was my 3rd consecutive year at jamestown and the last two have been quite pleasant.. the first year was like dodging land mines... kinda looked like the photos above... :rolleyes:

MiamiVice 06-09-2004 03:01 PM

When you said Cumber(trash)land I supposed you meant all the redneck hillbillies that live around there. What a wast of beautiful land. I was there looking to buy land and changed my mind real fast.

h2owarrior 06-09-2004 04:35 PM

Don't let anybody kid you. Lake Cumberland is a mess every spring. Some years it clears up earlier than others. Purely depends on the rainfall.

It is a very nice lake. Best in the Country for the type of boating our family likes. :D

abwatersports 06-09-2004 04:46 PM

MiamiVice,
I live near Sumerset and work directly across the street from Lake Cumberland, my family and friends all live in this area also. I do not really care to be reffered to as a "bunch of redneck hillbillies", please reconsider your comments, or do all of us a favor and stay in Miami.
On the subject of the lake condition, it is very high due to excessive rainfall, but with a couple weeks dry weather it should be in great shape by the 4th.