Legal help Needed (kind of long story) >

Legal help Needed (kind of long story)

Notices

Legal help Needed (kind of long story)

Old 06-03-2004, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Legal help Needed (kind of long story) UPDATE

The transmission in my Dually went out on the way back from the Havasu poker run (April 26). I was stuck in the podunk town of Needles, CA so I didn’t have many choices to get it repaired. I found a shop that advertised in the local yellow pages and had them look at it. It needed a complete rebuild with torque converter and cost me $2600. I know this was steep but I was stuck and needed it done. After the rebuild the truck ran great, better than before it broke. I also got much better gas mileage on the way home (about 300 miles).

On May 9 with less than 500 miles on the rebuild, while at a friends house in Orange, the trans failed again with the same symptoms, would shift past second gear. I called the shop in Needles and spoke to the secretary, Tina. She said she would have the owner, Bob call me when he gets in. I spent the next week calling them every day and got the run around, Bob’s not here, he’ll call back, etc. On Thursday (May 13) Tina told me they were trying to find a local trans shop in my area that they could work with so I wouldn’t have to tow the truck back to Needles (it’s a crew cab dually so not easy to tow). I checked and found three trans shops and two GM dealers and gave those phone numbers to Tina.

On Monday, May 17 I spoke to Tina and Bob had not contacted any of the shops. I brought the truck to one of the shops myself and explained the situation to Tony, the owner. Tony was very helpful and said he will call Bob. Tony got the run around for two days too but on Wednesday (May 19) finally talked to Bob. Tony told him he had better take care of this problem or I was going to take legal action. Bob said to check it out and if needed, would ship out a new trans.

I’ve been calling Tony every day for an update and he has said he hasn’t found out the problem yet, he’ll call me back. Then he doesn’t! I had my friend, Jim stop by there yesterday (Orange is about 60 miles from me) to see what was up with Tony. By now I had doubts if the truck had even been looked at. Jim said the truck was in the shop and Tony was working on it. I spoke to Tony this morning and told him this is getting out of hand. The truck has been down for three weeks with no progress. Tony empathized and said he’d like it done as well but didn’t want to alienate Bob and then I’d have to pay him and take Bob to court. He wants to try to resolve this with no out of pocket expense on my part. I told Tony I appreciate that but at this point, I just want my truck back. He is supposed to call me at 1PM today with a resolution.

So I’m trying to figure out my next step here. Should I bring the truck to another shop? Should I tell Tony to just fix it, pay for it and sue Bob? Should I tow the truck back to Needles and make Bob pay for the tow? I thought a phone call to bob from an attorney might get the ball rolling. I just want my truck back!

Last edited by Baja Fresh; 06-10-2004 at 12:27 AM.
Old 06-03-2004, 11:37 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Legal help Needed (kind of long story)

Originally Posted by Baja Fresh
The transmission in my Dually went out on the way back from the Havasu poker run (April 26). I was stuck in the podunk town of Needles, CA so I didn’t have many choices to get it repaired. I found a shop that advertised in the local yellow pages and had them look at it. It needed a complete rebuild with torque converter and cost me $2600. I know this was steep but I was stuck and needed it done. After the rebuild the truck ran great, better than before it broke. I also got much better gas mileage on the way home (about 300 miles).

On May 9 with less than 500 miles on the rebuild, while at a friends house in Orange, the trans failed again with the same symptoms, would shift past second gear. I called the shop in Needles and spoke to the secretary, Tina. She said she would have the owner, Bob call me when he gets in. I spent the next week calling them every day and got the run around, Bob’s not here, he’ll call back, etc. On Thursday (May 13) Tina told me they were trying to find a local trans shop in my area that they could work with so I wouldn’t have to tow the truck back to Needles (it’s a crew cab dually so not easy to tow). I checked and found three trans shops and two GM dealers and gave those phone numbers to Tina.

On Monday, May 17 I spoke to Tina and Bob had not contacted any of the shops. I brought the truck to one of the shops myself and explained the situation to Tony, the owner. Tony was very helpful and said he will call Bob. Tony got the run around for two days too but on Wednesday (May 19) finally talked to Bob. Tony told him he had better take care of this problem or I was going to take legal action. Bob said to check it out and if needed, would ship out a new trans.

I’ve been calling Tony every day for an update and he has said he hasn’t found out the problem yet, he’ll call me back. Then he doesn’t! I had my friend, Jim stop by there yesterday (Orange is about 60 miles from me) to see what was up with Tony. By now I had doubts if the truck had even been looked at. Jim said the truck was in the shop and Tony was working on it. I spoke to Tony this morning and told him this is getting out of hand. The truck has been down for three weeks with no progress. Tony empathized and said he’d like it done as well but didn’t want to alienate Bob and then I’d have to pay him and take Bob to court. He wants to try to resolve this with no out of pocket expense on my part. I told Tony I appreciate that but at this point, I just want my truck back. He is supposed to call me at 1PM today with a resolution.

So I’m trying to figure out my next step here. Should I bring the truck to another shop? Should I tell Tony to just fix it, pay for it and sue Bob? Should I tow the truck back to Needles and make Bob pay for the tow? I thought a phone call to bob from an attorney might get the ball rolling. I just want my truck back!
I've had a few tranny's go out on my '99 F-350 over the past few years. You have to find a shop that is in the ATRA (Automatic Transmission Rebuilders Association) It is like a gurantee for a certain amount of miles/ years. If you have your tranny rebuilt somewhere (maybe far from home) and it has a problem or breaks, then you can go to your nearest ATRA transmission shop and they will fix it and you don't get charged. It does work!! Find out if either shop (hopefully the one in Needles) is an ATRA member. Here's ATRA's website.... www.atra.com

Good luck,
Gerard
Old 06-03-2004, 02:19 PM
Registered

Thanks Gerard.

The shop in Orange is a member but the one in Needles is not.
Old 06-03-2004, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Gerard.

The shop in Orange is a member but the one in Needles is not.
Glad to help. I learned the "hard way" with the tranny problem also. I will only go to an ATRA shop now.
Old 06-03-2004, 04:03 PM
Registered

Received 2,957 Likes on 981 Posts

Al, I know it sucks...But you should pay for the truck to get fixed and sue the sh!t out of Bob. Include in the suite the milage/tow of the truck to the new location, the new tranny and the expense of a rental while your truck has been down.

The whole situation sounds f*cked. Sorry to hear the probs.

Tank
Old 06-03-2004, 04:17 PM
Registered

It is f*cked, Tank. Especially 'cause I sold my other truck and the dually is now my only truck. Good thing I didn't have any Memorial Day boating plans. Tony (Orange Trans) just called and said they are replacing a plate that goes on the valve body. If that doesn't fix it Bob will ship out a new trans and pay Tony to install. Tony will call me by end of day today. We'll see. I don't want to wait 3 more weeks for a new trans to show up! Bob better ship it out tomorrow and have it here by Monday at the latest.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:32 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is f*cked, Tank. Especially 'cause I sold my other truck and the dually is now my only truck. Good thing I didn't have any Memorial Day boating plans. Tony (Orange Trans) just called and said they are replacing a plate that goes on the valve body. If that doesn't fix it Bob will ship out a new trans and pay Tony to install. Tony will call me by end of day today. We'll see. I don't want to wait 3 more weeks for a new trans to show up! Bob better ship it out tomorrow and have it here by Monday at the latest.
**** man... just sell that broken down heap and get some flash ride so you can attract a blood sucking woman ........
Old 06-03-2004, 09:54 PM
Registered

Sh!t, Reed, I just sold my "flash" truck just to avoid the blood suckers!

Tony from Orange just called me and told me they pulled the valve body and all the solinoids are the old ones. The Needles shop was supposed to replace them and charged me $308 for new ones. I am going to have Tony pull the trans and replace everyhting that wasn't done by Bob (in Needles) and tell Bob to pay Tony. If Bob doesn't come through then I just going to take him to court. I hate getting focked with like that!
Old 06-10-2004, 12:31 AM
Registered

Well, it looks like I'm going to small claims court. The tranny is fixed but the Needles hsop never came through with $. Bob in Needles kept telling Tony in Orange that he would call with a credit card number but never did. He even lied to me when I called and said he was on the other line with Tony as we spoke. When I called Tony I was told he never spoke to them! I hate being lied to!

I paid $614 for the repair and have my trcuk back. Now I have filed a complaint with the state dept of consumer affairs and bureau of auto repairs asking for full refund and for them to pull Bob's license. If they don't do anything then it's off to small claims.

Why can't people just do the right thing and take care of their fock ups!?!?
Old 06-10-2004, 01:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow.....total bummer!!! Al...sounds like you have a plan in place and glad you have your truck back!

Quick Reply: Legal help Needed (kind of long story)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.