Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Performance boats contribute to giving kids asthma? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/81274-performance-boats-contribute-giving-kids-asthma.html)

damdonzi 06-14-2004 01:28 PM

Performance boats contribute to giving kids asthma?

I still can't believe this post from another website. :mad: Lake Winnipesaukee the most unfriendly performance boating place on the planet these days? Where else around the country do you find stuff like this?

The thread started about a possible fatality, which ended up being someone getting some air, then evolved to this:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...read.php?t=571

"Offshore boats can be any size. All are overpowered for normal transportation, unsuited for protected, recreational, and residential waters, and fully suited for a wide-open ocean environment just offshore.

Offshore boats are powered by one or more truck-based engines, most often inadequately muffled. They are unsuited for protected, recreational, residential waters, but fully suited for wide-open ocean environments just offshore. On most days, just one or two can transform formerly-idyllic Lake Winnipesaukee bay and harbor environments into a noisy, smelly, Interstate.

Offshore boats are gas-guzzlers. Offshore operators do not adjust their fuel-mix for air quality. They spread the gaseous waste-products of fossil fuel -- mixed and burned at up to one gallon/minute with New Hampshire's formerly-pure air. They leave behind a large, continuous haze of ozone-producing toxins unsuited for any residential lake -- certainly unsuited for children with allergies and asthma. (Sometimes lead is added to the fuel -- adding vaporous lead to the lake's air). But acceptable in ocean environments just offshore.

Offshore boat operators cannot see over their own bows while accelerating, making them unreliable sharers of recreational and residential waters -- but acceptably suited for wide-open ocean environments offshore.

Offshore boats often operate at high speeds: At just 60 MPH, they make the 150-foot rule of protected recreational waters obsolete every two seconds. At high speeds, they require more "user lake-space", leaving lesser boats with a corresponding drop in personal space for other recreation. When they use their "wide-open-throttles", they should be in "wide-open spaces" -- like offshore in open-ocean environments.

Offshore boats have a very poor fatality record on Lake Winnipesaukee. Fatalities should be rare on protected, recreational -- and residential -- waters. Our Forum Archives are full of fatal Offshore-boat cases.

Some have collided with lesser boats, forested shores, one another, and two have had "personal performance accidents" (with- and by- themselves) on Winnipesaukee (one with injured passengers and one operator fatality). One case had an Offshore boat leave a lake airborne, and collide with a pickup truck on Interstate 77! (A Winnipesaukee waterfront home was struck by an Offshore -- with two fatalities). Three cases, in as many boating seasons, had the operator leave the scene of two fatalities and five seriously-injured boaters -- involving amputations. Another case had an Offshore strike several boats before ejecting its one passenger -- the "throttleman" and ultimately fatally injuring the "captain". We all remember the Meredith case, of course.

Offshore boats can be seen rafted in gatherings of "Mutual Admiration Clubs" -- a peculiarity of certain types of tall, but graying boys and their costly, but obsolescent, motor engineering. (Also see Harley and Corvette fanciers).

On any August weekend, there could be seven Offshores per square mile on Winnipesaukee -- given the latest estimates of their numbers on the Forum. They should never have been sold here -- and don't belong here.

(Prepared with apologies to the hundreds of thousands of sailing kindred spirits who navigate the globe daily without refueling -- the real offshore-boaters)."

ChrisK 06-14-2004 01:36 PM

Re: Performance boats contribute to giving kids asthma?

isnt this the same site that hammered Biggus also?

Downtown42 06-14-2004 01:38 PM

All kinds roam the planet.....F@$k 'em.

ChrisK 06-14-2004 01:38 PM

after reading that thread, it looks like his post is not going over all that well with a few.

Ron P 06-14-2004 01:40 PM

At least he admits to being a wind bagger......what else would you expect?

Jonas 06-14-2004 01:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
the mutual admiration thing is funny though..

wonder what kinda tree huggin worm diggin enviromental whako dork wrote that?

NetGain 06-14-2004 01:54 PM

EVer boat on Winnipausaukee? Incredible place. We have family in two places on the lake and go up every summer. Watching the crowds of boats chase fireworks from port to port on the 4th is unbelievable.

I think the article is a little crazy, but I have to admit I have often asked, what do you need a 38 TS for up here? The majority of the boats on the Lake are 19-26 ft, and on the weekend, it's a nightmare. I can't even see where you can run them. The longest opne stretch is maybe 10 miles acroos The Broads, so you get on plane and come right off

Plus it didn't help that the son of one of the biggest boat dealers/boatels on the Lake was the driver in one of the above mentioned hit and runs that resulted in a fatality, late at night.

Still a great place.

JUSTONCE 06-14-2004 01:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:D

magnum27 06-14-2004 02:03 PM

I can't breath!!! To much boating this weekend!!! Help!!! I guess I went to fast!! Where is my inhaler? I guess I need to slow down. I didn't have this breathing problem when I had a Mastercraft. Freakin' speed boat.