Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What will replace the 2.5 offshore ??? >

What will replace the 2.5 offshore ???

Notices

What will replace the 2.5 offshore ???

Old 06-07-2004, 11:38 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What will replace the 2.5 offshore ???

With the 2.5 offshore becoming Unavailable/obsolete what will replace it.....Anybody have any scoop????

Does the limited availability build more value for owners of late model 2.5's. on the resale market?

Maximus
Old 06-07-2004, 12:19 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What will replace the 2.5 offshore ???

Somebody told me they were going with the 3.0.

I would say yes, at least until 2 strokes become out of fashion.

*theory*
Merc is no longer able to sell the 2.5 race motors anymore with out them being emissions compliant. Apparently the EPA determined that if the unit can be shifted, then it's not a race motor. If merc continues to sell power heads and lower units separatly as a "replacement part" then the 2.5 could live on for some time. The question is if merc will do that or if all 2.5 parts will cease to exist in 8 years.

Last edited by Cord; 06-07-2004 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:25 PM
Registered

Interesting Theory.

So people who race would have to piecemeal their motors!? that doesn't sound efficient. You've cross the "not stock" line at that point don't you? tough to regulate.

Are you saying they will produce a "lite race version 3.0 liter" ?

Maximus
Old 06-07-2004, 01:49 PM
Firewalker

A few points of interest.

1, merc has in the final stages of testing a 2.5 opti on the 3.0 midsection that makes 245 hp at 7000. Once they are comfortable with this, more power is coming.
2, you can still get new motors..... you just have to cheat a little. Merc is going to build replacement parts for years from now. You can buy a drop on power head, a complete midsection and a new gearcase and have a NEW motor....... for the same price as an assembled motor.

Just remember when cars started to switch from carbs we ( well my dad, I am to young) all cried that we can no longer tinker. We look where we are now, unthinkable performance, efficiency and reliability. I am sure these new motors will be ok.

RT

Old 06-07-2004, 05:03 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Firewalker
A few points of interest.

1, merc has in the final stages of testing a 2.5 opti on the 3.0 midsection that makes 245 hp at 7000. Once they are comfortable with this, more power is coming.
2, you can still get new motors..... you just have to cheat a little. Merc is going to build replacement parts for years from now. You can buy a drop on power head, a complete midsection and a new gearcase and have a NEW motor....... for the same price as an assembled motor.

Just remember when cars started to switch from carbs we ( well my dad, I am to young) all cried that we can no longer tinker. We look where we are now, unthinkable performance, efficiency and reliability. I am sure these new motors will be ok.

RT
The other interesting points are the fact that Merc is just beginning the high performance and racing development of the Verado.....The jury is still out on that one.........But the existing 2.5 Champ motors are Non Shifting (speedmasters)....... Somewhere between those two technologies lies the keys to the puzzle. If Offshore racing would allow an auxiliary trolling motor for reverse maneuvering...than the sport could FINALLY utilize the untapped performance available with the SSM's..... We had great success with them on the 32 foot Rolling Thunder Conquest Cat.... (Higher speed.....less torque transfer to the transom and running gear...almost turbine like prop traction...adjustable x dimensions.....high speed trim response.....lighter engine weight.....etc, etc.).

This might be a revolutionary moment in outboard offshore racing.

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 06-08-2004 at 05:37 PM.
Old 06-07-2004, 05:34 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Well I would think that Mercury racing is going to see the renewed intrest in Stock class racing an put some effort into it. We are expecting 9 boats at the race in Marathon this weekend ALL with 2.5 280's. 18 of there motors there, it would be nice if they came to support it somehow, even if it was just the Van with some parts, ANYTHING!
You can still get 2.4 parts and 260 parts from mercury.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:06 AM
Registered

This really is a defining moment in OB history isn't it. From one vantage point the environmentalists's are actually influencing cleaner power utilizing 4 strokes. Mercury by default must pour it's resource's into this product line. eventually they will become smaller and lighter but in the meantime innovation with the current line up will suffer and stall.

Ryan,

I hope they show up to support you guys!

Maximus
Old 06-08-2004, 09:14 AM
Firewalker

Kinda, the real funny part is all the marketing!. The Bomber E-Tec motors make more power than any 4 stroke ( except the vercrappo ), burn less fuel and have lower emisions. 2-Stroke is not dead, nor should it be. Merc has just put it's cards in 1 basket, Bomber has gone the other way. This new E-Tec is capable of turning 10, 000 rpm. These motors could be a performance boaters dream. They are light, VERY reliable and make heaps of power..... and there is quality that merc hasn't had since Mr. K died and the bean counters took over.
Bomber has built all its sucess in racing, sleds, pwc's etc..... lets hope they follow that trend.

RT

Old 06-08-2004, 10:23 AM
Registered

Firewalker,

My new Bomber RXP Pwc 4 stroke is unreal!!! 215 hp smooth as silk all tourqe...nothing can touch it..Word is with some minor chages (boost, inj,mapp) it already puts out over 300 hp. and its a small motor. Could ths be the point Merc gets their marketshare taken like wal mart took Kmart???
Old 06-08-2004, 10:40 AM
Firewalker

Merc has been asleep at the switch for a decade .... or more. Since OMC stopped racing the prices have gone NUTS at merc and the quality has gone down.
Bomber can will and should hurt them in the market place.

RT

Quick Reply: What will replace the 2.5 offshore ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.