Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   How much allowance for kids (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/81373-how-much-allowance-kids.html)

Krumbsnatcher 06-15-2004 04:40 PM

How much allowance for kids

Ok my boys are constantly asking for $$$, how much allowance are you guys giving and for what chores. My boys are 11 and 8 and they ride MX tracks alot.

Thanks.

dhlaw 06-15-2004 04:43 PM

Re: How much allowance for kids

Well since they ride motocross I think that the 11 year old should get $500 a week, and the 8 year old should get $300 a week. I will be representing them in any further negotiations so any counter offers should be made through me. Hopefully you will be agreeable and we will not have to file suit.

Jonas 06-15-2004 05:06 PM

lmfao....
that is freakin funny as hell//
oh my kids would love u d-hlaw...
i am still laughing because i seems they actually some times think that way!
i have a 4yr old 1 dollar per week a 14.5 and almost 16.. ah im screwed huh...
14.5 i provide the 39- per mo for her cell bill and she works b-sitting and at a nail place,, for spending $
now she gets paid for grades: a's are 35- / b-s are 20- / c= -10- /if would get a d = no pay for nothing... f= ass whopping..
honor roll = 200- per semester. i try to make it like a job the bettter they more$..
my son is very similar set up. but he is not the entreprenuar the she is, he is shy/ but he does work a couple weekends a mo detailing boats.. and makes real good dough for 16yr old.
i did alot of diff things as they growing and its hard to stick with something but i thnink that is the key.

Krumbsnatcher 06-15-2004 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by d-hlaw
Well since they ride motocross I think that the 11 year old should get $500 a week, and the 8 year old should get $300 a week. I will be representing them in any further negotiations so any counter offers should be made through me. Hopefully you will be agreeable and we will not have to file suit.

Too funny!

My oldest just asked me for $3,000. I asked him for what and he said nothing just wanted to have it! I think he sees the money we all spend on our toys and he wants to be there with us!

Anyway I think I will stay out of litigation for now.

BadDog 06-15-2004 08:03 PM

My 12 and 14 year old get a full tank of gas on Friday or 100 bucks for the first day at the lake with a full tank after that they pay their own. I cover maintenance but they have to do it while I supervise. Upgrades to stereos, new lines, cd's etc. is on their tab. No allowance per say but I will pay them for jobs around the house that are outside the normal. I have been thinking of allowance to see how far they can stretch it but they both work some and put most of it in the bank.

mopower 06-15-2004 09:07 PM

My son had a paper route from the time he was 11. Taught him well , and he took good care of his customers...and most showed their appreciation with nice tips. By the time he was 14 he had two routes and actually did very good (total average 50 customers). One Christmas he came away with a little over $300. Gave it all up for a real job when he got his drivers license.

GregP 06-16-2004 06:40 AM

Our daughter started at 5 getting $1 per year of her age, she is now 9 (and of course $9). She always has more spending money laying around than I do.

-Greg

Jassman 06-16-2004 07:32 AM

Are children (16,11,9) do not get allowance. We feel if you give to much they will always expect it, and will always have the attitude in life that someone owes them something, I want my children to understand what a dollar is, and that you must earn it, no hand outs. My 16 year old gets all A's, has worked on weekends for us, which she got paid, presently holds 2 part time jobs, and is working on a scholarship for colledge. She saved enough money for a 4000.00 dp on a used 2002 Bettle bug. we are extremely proud of her, and she is becoming a great young adult. The two younger ones get mostly A's and an occasional B, both great kids as well, they work on the job sites as well doing clean up and get paid. They all do jobs around the house, like washing their own clothes, and cleaning their own rooms, vacuming the house and so forth. What we are doing is trying to make sure they can make it on their own. They have everything they need, good food, non designer Walmart cloths, new shoe's, a pool, and so forth. We try and teach them they maybe a little more fortunate than other kids, but they are no better than them and treat them the way they want to be treated. And designer cloths and 150.00 Nike's don't make a person, It comes from with in. They know when they go to Walmart or any store and spend their earnings for special things that they must choose something within their money, and not go over budget, it seems to work. Actually most of their friends (1/2 the neiberhood) end up staying here on weekends for sleep overs and we take them boating and or tubing on the 22' Seadoo Islandia jet boat, everyone gets along, and everyone knows the rules. I just feel we are very active with are children in and out of school in their sports, and support everything they do, I just don't feel an allowance will work in our application. Just our take on it, Thanks Jeff and Sandy Jassby

robyw1 06-16-2004 08:30 AM

Make sure everyone deducts taxes from allowance so that the youngsters get a good understanding of how our system works. Maybe they will hate it enough to grow up and be congressmen/congresswomen. That is the only way our tax structure will ever change.

Roby

mr_velocity 06-16-2004 09:35 AM

Our kids do not get an allowance either. They do however get paid for chores around the house. My son, just turned 9 cuts the grass every week for $10. He even trims and manages to use the Stihl backpack blower since I told him I would deduct for an incomplete job. He's been pushing the mower for 2 years now although the trimming just started this year. I also take him along on small marine jobs and pay him for his help, he is great with tools. It has taught him to be a good business man, he has become an outstanding negotiator. We did a job last year replacing 18 dock boxes at a condo marina, I had the old ones sitting in my driveway when someone stopped by and wanted to by them. I let my son negotiate the deal, I figured $30 a box, he started at $100 and when he was done we got $75. I gave him the difference for each box he sold. Last week someone wanted to buy a buoy he had found, the buyer started at $10 when they were done my son had a $50 in his hand.

Like someone else said, if you just give them an allowance they will expect it, although now every time I ask my son to do something he starts negotiation his pay. But at least he is able to make the connection between hard work and money instead of an "entitlement".