Notices

Sarasota-July

Old 06-14-2004, 03:04 PM
My EX got the Sleekcraft
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sarasota-July

We will be travelling to Sarasota for the races in July and staying at the Hyatt.
To get a different perspective for my photos I called (e-mailed) the Lady Sarasota but they replied that they replied with=

"I'm sorry we will not have a charter going out this year.
Thank you,
Dawn"======

Sooo...Where is the best locale for taking photos? I also understand there is no VIP area as there was in Marathon...

Thanks...
Old 06-14-2004, 04:44 PM
Registered

Default Re: Sarasota-July

What kind of telephoto lens will you have? That might make a difference.
I'll check around for you.

If you have an interest in returning for the SOS races in August I could set you up on a turn boat.

Last edited by Formula Outlaw; 06-14-2004 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-15-2004, 02:45 PM
My EX got the Sleekcraft
Platinum Member

Outlaw, et al...

I have a 10X optical zoom (380mm) on my 4mp Olympus c-750...

I plan on keeping my Hyatt reservations for the 4th of July but may switch to the Tropical Breeze Inn Resort that is right on the Siesta Keys Beach for the August races..

Thanks
Old 06-15-2004, 02:51 PM
Registered

That would be a GREAT place for the August race. The August race is MUCH more a "spectator friendly" course than the July 4th race has ever been. I will scout some places out and ask around for you.
Old 06-15-2004, 03:55 PM
Registered

Sarasota is a great viewing Race from the Siesta Beach. Catch a ride on a Local boat and you can get some great shots. Give me a buzz and I'll hook you up with some friend in the Opba club and SORA club. We will have lots of boats in the water. Just take a few good shots of me racing and I'll be happy. hahaha.. Lisa

Just get with me when you get to Sarasota and I'll introduce you to a few people. Sarasota is just great to be at. Besides you follow the Pier 57 Saga right.. Or did you take the Pier 57 Saga pic's..?
Old 06-15-2004, 06:23 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

We are going down for the 4th. Where is a good place to stay on Lido Beach? We always stayes at the Half Moon Beach Club but it's gone. How about the Radisson?
Old 06-16-2004, 03:44 AM
Registered

"GD", think I can hook you up on a turn boat for the July 4th race. I'm on the Board of Directors for both OPBA and SORA so I'm sure I can get you with someone. If for whatever reason you end up on land, you want to be high as you can off the ground. The July 4th race allows spectator boats to anchor between the beaches and the race course which kind of screws up the viewing for the people on the beaches.

Last August at the Sarasota Offshore Showdown race, we did not allow those boats to anchor there which not only gave the spectators a better view, it allowed the boats to get MUCH CLOSER to the beach. Felt like you could have reached out and given the racers a cold bottle of water. For the SOS I'm on the Race Committee and the "Course Captain" so I can get you anywhere you want for that one.

Both races are exciting and benefit very worthy charities. Public opinion was the race last August was, spectator wise, the best they'd ever seen in Sarasota. Also they cut the course in half, and only run in front of Siesta so the race boats are always in view. I personally liked that, and so did over four hundred people that talked to me.

Between all of us over here, we'll get you where you want to be. Russ