Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   XR Top Cap goes Kaboom Anyone been thru this? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/81464-xr-top-cap-goes-kaboom-anyone-been-thru.html)

baja27 06-17-2004 10:53 AM

Re: XR Top Cap goes Kaboom Anyone been thru this?

My top cap blew also, in salt water!!! Needed new housing. I put on Billet caps from Billet Marine, it even has a drive shower built in. If you need the nimber let me know.

GLH 06-17-2004 12:55 PM

Here is the scoop of my experience for so it's documented for further cap blowers!!! ;
- My mech said it looked like the cap might of started loosening-- entirely possible and my bad for not checking and retorquing them. He will utilize loctite and verify the other.
- The loosening resulted in movement in the assembly and broke the shaft when I was getting on plane after going thru a "no wake" exactly like RiceHauler described and experienced.
-All the parts are ordered to be overnighted and will be here tomorrow by 10 AM.
- There was one part that was backordered nationally and I found it have it coming.
- Also for the record I would venture it was a 2.5 to 3 "t"'s event for those of you who know what "B.O.A.T." stands for.
-Looks like we will be on the road tomorrow a little later but should still be at the NYC Poker Run.
-Now I have to clean the rest of the stern of that boat, man that 90 weight oil really makes a mess!!!

GLH 06-17-2004 01:04 PM

Thanks Heather at BAM Marine
Heather was instrumental in finding and shipping ASAP the one part that was missing and back-ordered nationally at Mercury...in the whole soup of parts I blowed up last night.

So Marc if you read this commend her on her effectiveness. These guys are the most reliable outfit. Last year I blew a coupler before a run and I had the thing in my hand 20 hours after the thing went belly up after cell-phoning for the part put-putting back to the ramp.

Thanks again.

GLH 06-17-2004 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by R Addiction
...break out the plastic and get that fixed for this weekend!! No Excuses!! (All this from a guy thats not even bringing his boat with him!!! :rolleyes:) See you up there! :drink:

For boating I try to keep the plastic use to a minimum but I should be there, just look for the guy that looks like he just "blew" a few grand literally, that should shave it down to 70-80 people if there are 150 rigs there ! :D:D:D

waterheater 06-17-2004 01:31 PM

Man that blows. Sorry to hear about that:( Good thing it didnt happen on the run in NY, but then again there is no good time for that.

getreal 06-17-2004 02:25 PM

Call me and I’ll give you a deal on a billet cap. 805-968-6122

You can buy the “Original” or a knock-off.

www.getrealperformance.com

BAJA WILL 06-17-2004 03:00 PM

Been there and done it, our cap didn't blow totally off but same result, but then again I only have a 500efi. Anyway it was 8 days before the warranty ran up so merc covered it, they didn't even contest it.

Also this past week my friends 3 month old 25 Outlaw it doing the same thing, boat dealer ship has fixed it but his still is not right.

Glad to hear you are back in action,

WILL :drink:

powerguy 06-17-2004 03:27 PM

Glad you got it back together G.L. We were out last night and didn't see you (or the oil slick). Good thing that you didn't buzz the Ethan Allen last night, it was full of National guard brass and the CG was clearing all boats out of it's path with shotguns out.

Chase910 06-17-2004 03:34 PM

Take a look at the GetReal Billet Cap. Water cooling built in, ARP hardware...none better. Friend has been running on his supercharged Formula Bravo drive which is running a LH prop for 3 seasons with no cap issues.

MitchStellin 06-17-2004 05:22 PM

That sounds like an Insurance claim to me. Mfg defect...loose cap bolts. :) Here is what you need to do GL. Buy another complete drive and have it on hand. I bet if you look hard you could find one for $5,000....real hard. :) It was a good thing the case was intact, that would have been a horrible setback. I am going out right now and checking mine. Thanks for the heads up. Another TSB for the SD Ford owners. Watch the front tie rod, tech the inner right and left bar. The one with the turn buckle for alignment. My long end bar pulled out of the turn buckle. The threads were gone on the bar and what they call the tube (turnbuckle). 47,000 miles. This after a 1000 mile trip to MO and back. I was lucky and was going slow, the wheel turned like the alignment was out, it was fine a minute ago so I thought it was a flat. Turned the wheel and found one turned and the other didn't :( This could have been my life at 80. With the boat at 70 it would have closed the highway for a day. There was no warning either and I am totally in tune to my truck. Turn lock to lock hard and listen for a clunk, that would indicate a slip. See GL, we all have ISSUES. :cool: