No License Requirement
22.61%
Voters: 283. You may not vote on this poll

Performance Boating License

Old 08-16-2004, 11:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Performance Boating License

In 1982 Franz Kneissl ans I started a High Performance Safety School in Newport R.I. We only had 5 performance boaters, the rest was Navy Students. In the 1980's at Cigarette we sold the US Customs Boats, I taught a safety class. My point is that the majority of the people who buy high performance boats have HUGE ego's. They cannot and will NOT go to a school.
I think every performance boater SHOULD by LAW take a course in how to run a performance boat. Just because your wallet will let you buy a fast boat your brain may have no idea how to operate it. It is these type of arrogant people who will need a LAW to force there egotistical minds to school.
So as you can tell, just because you can afford a performance boat, most drivers should be at home.
TAKE A COARSE. Let the people who really know what they are doing be safe.
Most performance boaters are
Old 08-16-2004, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

So with that mentality, the Corvette driver should be taking a different driving test than the mini-van driver? Where does it end? (profiling)

It would have to be one damn long and involved test to be able to say your a performance boater ready for all situations. And if your not? If the State or private entity (whoever's milking this for the $$$) didn't prepare you well enough and something bad happens? You guessed it!!! LITIGATION, which will lead to more hoops for you to jump through that cost more money.

I'm tellin' 'ya....your asking for the beginning of legislating this sport off the earth!!

Have the people here learned nothing in there lifetimes about getting big brother involved?

Everybody *****es about being hassled, new laws, and the expense of performance boating...just wait 'till you cry out to government because you can't keep from harming yourselves.

The manufacturers and dealers bear the responsibility to step up here.

Read my last post again.

It will accomplish NOTHING positive for the masses.

Strictly a feel-good cash cow.
Old 08-16-2004, 02:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Well now...that's a unique perspective from a boat builder.

Personally, I don't believe licensing would do anything beneficial. "We're from the government, we're here to help..." ahhhh, let me grab my K-Y jelly please.

The only potential upside is new fodder for some interesting posts from the outer fringe. This one equates right up there with and may potentially pass the classics like... "V vs CAT", "Step vs Non-Step", "Real Apache or simulated Apache", "My Dad can beat-up your Dad" and so on and so on ad naseum.

Sounds like Lenny has the inside skinny here.

Regulate or modulate with government support ya' better refresh on that classic Frank Zappa tune "Don't fool ya' self girl, it's goin right up the poop chute! (refrain...ohhhh wrist watch crisco!)"

Party On!
Old 08-16-2004, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Would that "unique perpective" from a boat-builder be becauase all builders would be, in some regards, buffered from liability claims?
Old 08-16-2004, 05:05 PM
Registered

If the state or Fed government has anything to do with a boating license it will be screwed up and a total waste of time. I agree people should take some form of practical driving class and no some of the rules of the water however I have taken both the Iowa and Missouri boating safety tests and they are a complete joke. Having a boaters education class similar to a drivers education class may help some people learn how to properly handle a boat however it doesn't work for everyone as there are many terrible drivers on the road even after training and a license process.
One thing is for certain we currently have an excessive amount of laws and layers within the government and I for one am not in favor of any additional big brother intervention.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:11 AM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

Many folks who own truly extreme performance boats DO IN FACT act very responsibily, often having a professional throttle jockey to operate the sticks.

On the other hand other we all have met folks who really DO NOT KNOW what they are doing in any kind of boat, and read/watch the accidents happen.

I am in favor of a big insurance discount to those with high performance boats who take approved on the water training with professionals. Heck I'd be the first to sign up, as I KNOW my skills could use an upgrade if I ever supercharged my boat.

Those who have seen my docking skills in tight quarters might suggest I take the fricking course now! <gg>

Last edited by CBR; 08-17-2004 at 12:14 AM.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:20 PM
munsonbw

I am surprised that this is the first thread that I am responding to, but it surprising how many people are opposed to a license. I live in Alabama and I had to pass a written test for a boating endorsement. It covered things such as: which vessel has right of way, which side to pass on, proper flotation devices, etc. It didn't cost either, except the cost of a license copy, but I had to get one anyway since I was a new resident.

Will this simple endorsement prevent accidents? Obviously not. Imagine however, that our roads were wide open like the water; no stripes to keep between, no signs to tell us to stop at an intersection, pretty much chaos. I think most of us boaters have a good grasp of right of way and safe passing. But if a license (test) educates only a few people about these topics, what is the problem? Boats are really more dangerous that cars. No seatbelts, no crash testing, and they pull unprotected people. I do a lot of skiing and I have been almost ran over on a couple of occasions due to people not keeping a safe distance prior to my fall.

I don't think it should cost any more than the cost to print a license, no one should profit from safety. I also don't think that there should be a HP or speed clause... I can build a 10 sec. street legal drag car and drive it with my normal driving license. I know the general rules of the road and consequently I won't drive it straight into oncoming traffic pulling a person behind me.

Cheers,
Ben

Old 08-19-2004, 06:49 PM
testdrv321

I hate to agree, but lets think about this logically. All of us drive cars. Pretend you just moved here from some tiny Pacific Island with no cars. Would you just get in a car and go? Probably would be a good idea to learn the basics. Stay to the right, red means stop, etc. Same applies here. In NY they have been considering a similar. The problem is a power struggle between Department of Motor Vehicles and Dept of Parks and Recreation. Both want to be in control but neither wants to foot the bill.

Old 08-19-2004, 07:02 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"The government that governs least governs best"
Who said that?
Old 08-19-2004, 08:19 PM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been a long time advocate for some type of licensing requirement. I have seen many people that don't belong in a boat much less driving one, add a performance boat to that equation and we have a sum of a catastrophic possibility existing. I will support whatever class or program that anyone would want to start up.

Sean Stinson

Quick Reply: Performance Boating License

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.