Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Performance Boating License (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/81504-performance-boating-license.html)

OldSchool 06-17-2004 01:28 PM

Re: Performance Boating License

I would certainly agree that ALL boaters should be required to take a USCG safety course. A few years ago I didn't feel this way...but it seems that every time that we go out on the water, we see more people that have absolutely no idea what they are supposed to be doing. It makes it unsafe for everyone and unfortunately it will make it too expensive to get insurance in the near future for those of us that aren't filthy rich. Just my .02 :)

Craig

hot water 06-17-2004 01:36 PM

I guess you can look at it this way

We can be proactive and regulate and protect our own recreation or........

We could have the insurance companies regulate it for us :eek:

GLH 06-17-2004 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by hot water
We could have the insurance companies regulate it for us :eek:

They already do. Watch your premiums.

clearcut3 06-17-2004 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by GLH
Leave the government out of this, they messup enough of our lives.

I AGREE. They will inevitably use the licensing as an excuse for more TAXES :hothead:

mopower 06-17-2004 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by clearcut3
I AGREE. They will inevitably use the licensing as an excuse for more TAXES :hothead:

Absolutely!!!It's a money thing.
There's plenty of idiots on the highway with licenses...do you think the water will be any different. You should be required to take a course so you at least under stand markers and rules of the road because there's some people out there that are TOTALLY CLULESS :blaster:

DaveP 06-17-2004 01:54 PM

Since I was quoted in the story - you guys know where I stand.

If the choice is Speed Limits or Licencing in NJ - I know what I would choose.

There are entirely too many people out there that don't have a clue.

robyw1 06-17-2004 01:58 PM

Ohh who put this record back on again?

How will handing the government a fee that increases every year save lives? If there are private sector performance boating schools taught by experienced former offshore racers then fine, let the insurance companies recognize them. However I don't think we need to go sit in a 10 hour class taught by Ranger Rogers whose experience is limited to a 140-HP center console patrol boat.

The last thing I want is for the states to get more money and spend it on ways to further limit our freedom on the water. Right now their struggling for money and in my opinion that is a trend that needs to continue. The less money they have to patrol the fewer muffler Nazis you will have to deal with.

Roby

Stormrider 06-17-2004 02:07 PM

Have the course run by a partnership of USCG and the insurance companies, with the fees of the course and licence split w/ majority going to insurance co's. This should subsidize insurance rates.
If you are out without a licence, the boat is taken and auctioned... more insurance subsidies.

robyw1 06-17-2004 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Stormrider
If you are out without a licence, the boat is taken and auctioned... more insurance subsidies.

:blaster:

That's a little harsh.

Roby

mr_velocity 06-17-2004 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by DaveP
Since I was quoted in the story - you guys know where I stand.

If the choice is Speed Limits or Licencing in NJ - I know what I would choose.

There are entirely too many people out there that don't have a clue.

CG Aux class should be the required class and cert and that's it. Then any fees will go to that organization instead of the greedy state gov't.

In NJ for a few extra bucks you can get boat added to your DL, however it only requires the fee, kinda worthless as a boating license.