Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Performance Boating License (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/81504-performance-boating-license.html)

aero-offshore 06-17-2004 04:17 PM

Re: Performance Boating License

Insurance company's ar'nt going to give you a break because you got some piece of paper saying you past a written test! their gonna go by your past driving record, house insurance claims and credit report, most asses that drive like that do it on the road too! and as far as motorcycle endorsements, some states don't require it, it's up to the state in which you live. We don't need any more government involvement, if you see some ass doing something wrong inform them nicely, if they don't respond tell the other boaters with you at the marina and they'll gladly explain the rules of the water in a big group intervention!!!

hot water 06-17-2004 04:36 PM

This incident happened near my home.

A ski boat was idling along in the 5mph zone on this warm summer day. Sitting on the swim step was a small child without a vest with her feet in the water. The child was soon overcome by carbon monoxide from the boats exhaust and fell into the water and drowned.

This child did not have to die because of driver stupidity.

A certification course would have taught them that all children must wear life jackets and that all people must be in the seated area of the boat when under way.

This isn't just about insurance rates

aero-offshore 06-17-2004 04:41 PM

Like I said, stupid people do stupid things and a piece of paper unfortunately won't change a thing, the liberals prove it day in and day out.

hugetime1 06-17-2004 04:50 PM

this is the dumbist theing i have heard yet. Rarly do you see someone in a performance boat that doesn't know what they are doing, it is usually the bozo that just bought his first sea ray or ski boat, or someone in a little rental boat that does some thing stupid. rarley does somebody drop a quarter mil or more and buy a prformance boat as there first boat, usually by the time they step up to a go fast boat they have figured it out. so alls you would be doing is penalizing the ones that already know how to boat. it has to be all or nothing, and I say nothing, I will deal with a few stupid people to have my freedom. and do me a favor, stop talking about this, if some moron in politics see's these post and gets a crazy idea about licensing boaters, I will be pissed, we don't need to give them idea's

hugetime1 06-17-2004 05:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
first off you need to ask your self how many performance boat accidents have we heard of this year , maybe 10, well below is the coast guard statistics on boating accidents, it is quit clear that we are not the problem, it is inexperianced recreational boaters, waterskiers, and jet skiers that need some training.

hugetime1 06-17-2004 05:05 PM

the artical that i pulled ths from said that over 1300 of the collisions were jetski related and this was even back before they were vary popular.

hot water 06-17-2004 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by hugetime1
this is the dumbist theing i have heard yet. Rarly do you see someone in a performance boat that doesn't know what they are doing, it is usually the bozo that just bought his first sea ray or ski boat, or someone in a little rental boat that does some thing stupid. rarley does somebody drop a quarter mil or more and buy a prformance boat as there first boat, usually by the time they step up to a go fast boat they have figured it out. so alls you would be doing is penalizing the ones that already know how to boat. it has to be all or nothing, and I say nothing, I will deal with a few stupid people to have my freedom. and do me a favor, stop talking about this, if some moron in politics see's these post and gets a crazy idea about licensing boaters, I will be pissed, we don't need to give them idea's

I agree that performance boaters are usally going to be the most experienced, believe me I am been on the water for 25 years. Unfortunetely because of the speeds we run we are taking the beating for the boating industry as a whole. Something needs to be done to educate the rest of the boating community so we don't run over them when they turn or fall right in front of us

Reed Jensen 06-17-2004 07:33 PM

Wait until the Government gets a hold of some nice legislation... Does anyone remember Joan Claybrook? She was the head of the National Highway and safety administration. She singlehandedly made all the motorcycle manufacturers standardize controls... that meant all English bikes had to now shift on the left foot... brake on the right... all throttles had to be right hand and front brake on the right ,,, clutch lever on the left.. and no foot clutches... Think what a hay-day she would have with boats... all boats would probably have to fitted with automatic anchor drops in case of emergency..... Boating is much like the last frontier that isn't swamped with legislation about the size and horsepower of your ride. I'd like to keep it that way. I for one don't want "fish cops" handing out tickets for how fast I go on the open water. Everything else should be known to the captain of the boat... You cannot legislate away stupidity.

robyw1 06-17-2004 07:53 PM

Bottom line?

School: yes

License: NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Formula Outlaw 06-17-2004 08:06 PM

I would like to think that if someone took a safety course they would receive a discount on their insurance rates. Will it happen. Probably not. The insurance companies spend too much time on devising ways to deny claims.

Licenses:NO

You cannot license or regulate stupidity or common sense, which in today's world there is way too much of the first and way too little of the second. You let government get the door even slightly ajar and the next thing you know there will be fees on top of taxes on top of govermental regulation. Remember we are speaking of a government that spent $ 2,500.00 per toilet seat.

What's the answer? I don't know. I do know I do not want any more governmental intrusion into my life. I do not want any more taxes or fees. My wife and I own our own business, a custom cabinet/furniture shop. I spend more on taxes and insurances than I do for everything else in my life combined. Everytime I pick up a paper I am reading where the county commissioners "staff" is recommending another fee or tax to pay for some other hairbrained scheme. Down here they want to put in traffic "roundabouts" despite that 90% of the people do not want them. We're getting them shoved down our throats at great expense out of our pockets. I can't understand why politicians insist on telling us what we want or what is good for us. They should pass a law that says every time a new law is added, an old law must be removed. We are over taxed, over regulated, over fee'd, and over law'd.

Wouldn't it be a wonderful wonderful thing if next April 15th, every citizen mailed in their tax return with a "SCREW YOU" on it.

Sorry, didn't mean to start ranting but taxes and insurance and regulation just sends me into orbit.